Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tuner Magazine Covers 951 450+ HP Racecar

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:24 PM
chefbob
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skip, thank you very much for bring those quotes to the board. They did imply many things in that article that. For IMA to imply that they built the car is like me saying I created the hamburger.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:34 PM
autobahn_ambition
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is important to note that there was some major miscommunication surrounding the article for this car.

No one intentionally misrepresented anything.

We look forward to "updating" the article to represent a more complete history.

Kevin Sims
Old 05-13-2008, 11:45 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by autobahn_ambition
We would like to state that there was obviously some confussion surrounding the article. IMA Motorsports did not misrepresent the car or thier work on the car.
Kevin, I have to respective disagree. You quoted Ivan Arzola as saying "We chopped off the front end from the shock tower forward....We also strengthened the car’s suspension points....We removed the car’s floor...All we did was provide him with the car, drew them a few sketches, and away they went building the body…", etc.

If Ivan was quoted correctly then he is saying IMA did stuff that they did not - that is misprespresenting their work on the car.

Sorry to be a PITA - it's the "black and white" engineer in me coming out. I have a lot of repsect for IMA and Chris Prack has proven that he know his **** about these cars time and again. I also am impressed by what I have seen of your e-pub. However, I understand why ST got all wound up, and if I were the Locktons I would be upset as well.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I would send you the PDF Chris, but it is 12+ Mb. My email won't handle that.

I've known Ivan and Chris for a while now. They are good people. I knew vaguely about this car well before it came to their shop. The prior history of this car isn't foreign to many long time 944 Turbo owners and I don't believe for a second that Ivan would think he could get away with misreprenting it as such. I hope what is in the article about the initial chassis and body stuff is just mis-quotes. Sounds like it is.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:50 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Your subscription is stored in a DB. There is a subscriber login link on the top right of the page (within a black banner).

If you are using the same computer in which you used to subscribe, clicking the "Subscriber Login" link will automatically bring you to the download page. If you have cleaned out your cookies since you subscribed you will need to log in using the username and password you created.

Happy Reading,

Kevin Sims
I am using my home computer and can't find where log in. I signed up from work. I can't sign in from home as it just tells me my username is taken. There is no 'black banner' for me to log in with from? Now what?
Old 05-13-2008, 11:54 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 663 Likes on 278 Posts

I can understand the "who did what" arguments that will likely go on for page after page, but I'm just happy that I got to see this car race at rennsport reunion.... Whoever was even remotely involved in the build, development, tuning etc should be proud.

It was awesome to watch.
Attached Images   
Old 05-13-2008, 11:55 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

I have full Acrobat at work and can extract out and email/post just that article tomorrow if needed.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:57 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nurburger
I can understand the "who did what" arguments that will likely go on for page after page, but I'm just happy that I got to see this car race at rennsport reunion.... Whoever was even remotely involved in the build, development, tuning etc should be proud.

It was awesome to watch.
Agreed. I saved the 2 dozen + pictures that were posted when WWW put it for sale just because it was such a badass build. Wish I had the time, money, and skills to build something like that.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:04 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by chefbob
Not trying to stir the pot so to speak, but in the article it led me to believe that you guys built the car from the chassis up. Granted the car was gone through, but from just looking at some of the pics in the article a lot of parts are very recognizable. Maybe Jim and Jason will chime in, I don't want to mis-speak.

George, your car may have some add ons (roll bars etc...) Not really comparing apples to apples.
I agree with your comments, but this is not a type 956, or a type 917, or a type 908 with documented professional racing history where the article should be based on factual past, and it's history for the article to create interest. It's just a 951 showing the merits of one of Porche's best turbo cars.

The history of this particular Porsche is of importance, but I didn't see this as part of the article's intent. Granted, if this was the writer's intent, the history should have been documented. When reading the article, I felt that the history was not the point, rather what an awesome platfrom that Porsche created, and left for the few that are willing to take over when Porsche decided to leave the model for greater profits and customer demad.

Comeon, you have got to be amazed that these little 4 banger turbo Porsche cars can compete with whatever is at the track. I, personally, love to be a surprise, even when I'm just a PCA club DE guy.

If the writers true intent was to create a history on the car, they didn't get the facts correct. I don't feel, in reading the article this was the intent of the writer.

The car is amazing, and I, being a 951 fan, enjoyed the read.

That's all folks,

Thanks for the article and the fans that care enough to show their commitment to the few of us that create such great cars.

George
Old 05-14-2008, 12:30 AM
autobahn_ambition
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Below is a screenshot of the AA webpage. The subscriber login is circled in red.

Last edited by autobahn_ambition; 05-08-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:36 AM
chefbob
7th Gear

George, again I'm going to have to disagree with you. This was not "just a 951", this car was built not just for show, the fit and finish of the car was second to none. Woodie, Jim, and Jason didn't build this car to flaunt the amount of money it cost to build, they built it the only way the knew how to... They built a car that Porsche didn't, and wouldn't. Your'e right it didn't have a professional log book, kinda funny that a PCA Club race could build a car like this. And George, what's the point of writing an article if it's not based on a factual past?
Old 05-14-2008, 12:48 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

If you read that article and don't think it was misleading...something is wrong with you. It's pretty blatant.

There is more time, work, effort and tears put into that car then I can even imagine. If it was my time, work, effort and tears and someone decided not to give credit where credit is due, I'd be a bit more then just upset.

Last edited by DDP; 05-14-2008 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:10 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Below is a screenshot of the AA webpage. The subscriber login is circled in red.
Sorry but thats not the page I see when I go to: http://www.autobahnambitionmag.com/ or any of the other links in your 1st post?

There is no login on that page?
Old 05-14-2008, 01:11 AM
autobahn_ambition
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We are going to pull the article from the issue until it can be updated.

Clearly miscommunications were made. We regret the incident and look forward updating the article in the near future.

Kevin Sims
Old 05-14-2008, 10:09 AM
chefbob
7th Gear

Kevin, I just spoke with woodie, did you get his email address I sent to you?

Quick Reply: Tuner Magazine Covers 951 450+ HP Racecar