Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to I get this Pin out

Ok guys

I am trying to take my front cover off of my motor and cannot get the tab for the crank pulley out of the crank. Crappy cell pic below.

What is the trick?
Old 05-11-2008, 03:45 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking about the key in the crank? Use a pair of cutting pliers. Pulls right out.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Thanks Derek I will try that. Mine doesn't seem to want to budge.

Here is another question for everybody. Did anyones engine smell strongly of burnt oil when you pulled the pan off? Mine has a smell of burnt oil especially near the oil pick up tube.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

They are called woodruff keys (for some reason?). The groove they sit in is moon or scoop shaped, so if you tap it with a punch and hammer on the end it will often slide up and out without damage. Or, you can tap a sharp chisel into the end an pry up up with a little leverage. Or you can use plyers like these to wrestle it out http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38496 A touch of heat on the crank can help too.

And yes, I suspect you are describing the normal smell of a well-used crank case. The tranny is even better...
Old 05-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
They are called woodruff keys (for some reason?). The groove the sit in is moon or scoop shaped, so if you tap it with a punch and hammer on the end it will often slide up and out without damage. Or, you can tap a sharp chisel into the end an pry up up with a little leverage. Or you can use plyers like these to wrestle it out http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38496 A touch of heat on the crank can help too.

And yes, I suspect you are describing the normal smell of a ell-used crank case. The tranny is even better...
What he said. I just used a small screw driver and a hammer and it popped right out.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

yeah mine doesn't move.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:17 PM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

They are called woodruff keys (for some reason?). The groove they sit in is moon or scoop shaped, so if you tap it with a punch and hammer on the end it will often slide up and out without damage. Or, you can tap a sharp chisel into the end an pry up up with a little leverage. Or you can use plyers like these to wrestle it out http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38496 A touch of heat on the crank can help too.

And yes, I suspect you are describing the normal smell of a well-used crank case. The tranny is even better...
The two balance shaft keys are moon shaped so the taping one end method works, however the crank one is not cupped on the bottom, it is just a rectangle with rounded edges, so tapping one side will only push it into the slot harder. Just use a set of end cutting pliers and grip and pry it out like earlier stated.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:28 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DDP
Talking about the key in the crank? Use a pair of cutting pliers. Pulls right out.
^^Best method

Someone tried using a screw driver and left nice scores all over the crank and smoothed the edges off that key (a few minutes with a file sorted it out for me).
Old 05-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

apply heat if it isnt moving.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mortymower
The two balance shaft keys are moon shaped so the taping one end method works, however the crank one is not cupped on the bottom, it is just a rectangle with rounded edges, so tapping one side will only push it into the slot harder. Just use a set of end cutting pliers and grip and pry it out like earlier stated.
Ouch, you are quite correct sir.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:42 PM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

Ouch, you are quite correct sir.
Easy mistake.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:01 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kool
Thanks Derek I will try that. Mine doesn't seem to want to budge.

Here is another question for everybody. Did anyones engine smell strongly of burnt oil when you pulled the pan off? Mine has a smell of burnt oil especially near the oil pick up tube.
No problem. I can't seem to remember a smell, so it probably wasn't obvious. But that doesn't mean it wasn't there anytime I pulled a pan. You might just be a little more over sensitive. Are you removing the pan for an oil pan leak? Might as well change out the rod bearings while you're in there. They're not that expensive, make sure to buy new nuts as well, and having fresh rod bearings never hurt anyone. And having fresh nuts is preferred so I've heard.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

No

I have the motor down to a bare block. I got the key out with a set of side snips.

Another odd think that that there is travel forward to back on both balance shafts. They are still bolted to the motor but I did notice that there was a lot of travel.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

balance shafts move in and out like that...
Old 05-12-2008, 02:35 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yup, they slide back and forth. Its just how the bearings are. Once the belt sprocket is on it doesnt move much.

Quick Reply: How to I get this Pin out