Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Exhaust neophyte - thinking of exhaust upgrade, but don't know where to start

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 11:51 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
Question Exhaust neophyte - thinking of exhaust upgrade, but don't know where to start

There are so many posts that I simply do not know where to look

I have an almost completely stock 951 (save for some old software mods and a Lindsey boost enhancer) and will have to replace the exhaust at some point soon.

I do not think that I want to change the headers and want to keep the car reasonably quiet so maintain drivability, so I assume a 3" solution makes sense.

What do I need to get for a complete set up? I am looking for advice on durability, performance enhancement, ease of installation (in case I decide to do it myself), an other considerations that I do not even know that I should be thinking about. (I know that I can look at Lindsey, SFR etc. and that everyone has their own preference so all opinions are welcome).

Point of note, here in Ontario Canada my car is exempt from emissions testing because it is over 20 years old. I expect to eliminate the catalytic converter. Should I expect to feel any HP gains?

Many thanks for the help.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:08 AM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my local mechanic replace my exhaust from the wastegate on back a year ago. He kept whatever tubing was good, replaced the Cat with a less restrictive one (don't ask about the brand, I don't know), replaced the muffler with a Magnaflow, and tailored the end pipe with an angled cut. No more leaks, great sound...and still environmentally friendly
Old 05-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either vendor can provide you with a nice exhaust. You might consider, with this exhaust, say a wastegate upgrade with MBC, chipboard (Vitesse), 3.0 bar regulator; this combo has produced consistent results of much better RWHP and torque.

If you get a better exhaust and dump the cat, you'll notice a bit better spool up time, and even more so with the other parts to help it along. Not to spend your hard earned $$, but I would think you'd be pleased.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:02 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since youre in Ontario, get a stainless steel one and not mild steel. Costs more, but the mild steel will rust in no time with the salt/etc.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:04 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/429586-pics-of-5-exhaust-for-rennlister.html lol
Old 05-11-2008, 02:19 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

I know I saw the thread and it is what got me thinking... Darn you creative guys...
Old 05-11-2008, 02:44 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you plan to add more power go for 3" exhaust, *performance wise* all 3" are the same. If you don't winter drive then go for whatever porsche 944 vendor is cheapest. If you plan to stay stockish B&B is a nice replacement.

Is the exemption the same for quebec?
Old 05-11-2008, 05:19 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jasonlp
Is the exemption the same for quebec?
As of now there is no emissions testing for any car in Québec...
Old 05-11-2008, 05:39 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 951Porschiste
As of now there is no emissions testing for any car in Québec...
Sounds great to me
Old 05-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

I have the B&B catback with bursch testpipe. I say the B&B has the best finish and build quality and in my opinion the best sound. It sounds more refined than lindsey and SFR but still very sporty. As for the testpipe, you wouldn't want a bursch. Its iron and mine rusted really quick. My idea system would be SFR headers, crossover, and testpipe with B&B catback. B&B offers a catback but its quite costly.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:48 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

I am amazed at the choice available for a 20+ year old car. I am very much leaning toward a selection which will eliminate the catalytic converter. Will be calling all the vendors this week to find out what they suggest.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:53 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
I am amazed at the choice available for a 20+ year old car. I am very much leaning toward a selection which will eliminate the catalytic converter. Will be calling all the vendors this week to find out what they suggest.
I'd like to know what you decide on. I also want to go cat-less 3". If your car is not a daily driver (fair weather car), I think the Lindsey Steel setup would be good. If you're concerned about corrosion, maybe the Fabspeed stainless system would be good?
Old 05-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 665 Likes on 279 Posts

+1 on the B&B. I just installed the full test pipe back system & I'm very happy with the quality, fitment & sound.

If you plan on some substantial modifications, then a 3" system from sfr or lindsey will allow the downpipe upgrade when needed.

definitely get rid of the cat though - if you don't have any emissions testing, you're suffocating your car for no reason.

Quick Reply: Exhaust neophyte - thinking of exhaust upgrade, but don't know where to start