Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pulling my engine and have a few questions for you guys?? Help Wanted...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Stuttgart996
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Pulling my engine and have a few questions for you guys?? Help Wanted...

Okay so i am going to be pulling the engine in my 86 951 in about 3 weeks and wanted to ask you guys some questions. Here's my problems?

1. I have an oil leak that i am positive is coming from the oil pan gasket ( so i will be replacing that) Also plan on doing the rod bearings.
2. The car smokes out of the engine somewhere near the back and comes out the back and header side. What worries me is i know my oil pan is leaking on the crossover but what is weird is it smokes upon start up and when it starts to heat up it goes away. This only happens if the car sits for a week or two. Could this be something else besides the oil pan gasket?
3. Also already did a headgasket job 1000 miles ago and everything looked great inside. Are there any other things to do while i have the engine out (preventative maintenance)? Waterpump and timing belt changed at 80,000 in 2001 (car now at 104,000)

Thanks guys and i would really appreciate any comments.

Last edited by Stuttgart996; 04-29-2008 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:03 PM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear main seal can also leak and run down the pan and drip on the crossover pipe and burn. The reason it smokes on start up after it has been sitting is because it probably leaks a drip every day or something and so after a week there is a capfull of oil on the pipe. You crank it up, it gets hot and burns it off and then stops smoking. Mine was the same way. The rear cam tower gasket (the small cork one at the back close to the firewall) and the cam cover gaskey (the gasket that goes under the cam cover that says "porsche" across it) can also leak and fall down onto the headers or crossover pipe so do those as well if the engine is out because they are super easy.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:06 PM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

Pulling the engine is not hard, go out the bottom and it will be easy. It just takes a little while and a lot of organization.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Stuttgart996
Banned

both the gaskets that you stated last have already been replaced while doing the headgasket and thanks for the help...
anything else???
Old 04-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Stuttgart996
Banned

you think i mine as well pull it if im just doing the headgasket and rod bearings?
do i have to pull it to get to the rear main seal?
Old 04-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

For the rear main seal, you can either leave the engine in the car and remove the transmission and slide back the torque tube, or take the engine out. Both methods have there merits and disadvantages. Everything you want to do can be done with the engine in the car...but frankly it will be about 100x easier with the engine out.

The way i see it, the bulk of your time doing the work on the car is going to be on your back putting in the new parts. With the engine out, the bulk of your time is just going to be removing the engine.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:31 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree with everyone else.. pulling the engine will make it easier. I'd say just do the bearings, balance shaft seals, waterpump/front seals, belts, all new exhaust hardware, and clean everything up
Old 04-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Stuttgart996
Banned

thanks yea ill just stick to pulling the whole engine
Old 04-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW, unless your clutch is fairly new its a great time to replace it with the engine out.

Also it may be a good time to do a 3-pc crossmember and 2-pc crossover from Lindsey Racing. This way if you ever have to drop the pan again for any reason, it can be done pretty quickly.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by vwvortex123
both the gaskets that you stated last have already been replaced while doing the headgasket and thanks for the help...
anything else???
With the engine out, you should be able to pin point the leaks. Try to clean everything up (degrease) the motor now, then run it for a week or two beofre pulling. That will help you find the sources of oil leaks. Plenty of stuff can leak on the header side -- cam tower gasket, cork gasket at rear of cam tower, seal at front of cam tower, oil sender, oil cooler lines, oil thermostat housing, balance shaft covers, seals at front and rear of balance shaft, oil pan gasket, RMS, oil filter seal, etc... Probabilities favor RMS, oil pan, balance shaft rear seal...
Old 04-20-2008, 09:21 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Smoke that goes away when it warms up could also be an exhaust leak. RMS sounds like a good bet to me though.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Stuttgart996
Banned

how do u guys feel about the oil pan gasket retainer from paragon?
also what sealant should i use if any?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:57 AM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

Permatex makes a sealant called "The right stuff" It is gray and comes in a tube. Its like 17-18$ but its the right stuff
Old 04-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is a ‘big picture’ comment – typically the only reason you see leaks from a pan gasket and the other seals is if the crankcase is getting pressurized – that’s a sign of too much blow by. Nobody really likes to face up to that since it is a big ticket repair but the truth is that if there is a minimum of crank case pressurization then there will not be any leaks.
The one exception to that is the rear main seal – which if not installed correctly it will leak – mostly when the engine is not running.
The pan gasket retainers are a nice band aid if you don’t want to fix the real issue. I usually glue on the oil pan gasket on ONE side only – to the block. If you glue both sides then you will have a real issue if you ever want to pull the pan with the engine in the car.
Pulling the engine is a big job the first timer – but usually worth it.
If you real seal the front end check all the steel sleeves – they almost always have grooves – and that will make the new seals leak a lot earlier.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Stuttgart996
Banned

thanks ill probably buy the retainer just to be safe

Quick Reply: Pulling my engine and have a few questions for you guys?? Help Wanted...