Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Attention 951 track junkies...need some help setting up my dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 05:49 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Attention 951 track junkies...need some help setting up my dash

Alright guys, I have a mychron xg log (pulled oem cluster) that I am using and I am about to set up led alarms on the following:
-boost
-oil pressure
-water temp

what do you guys think I should set the alarms for, also my motor is stock with k26/6:

-boost
I have it set at 15psi (is this too high for track work)

-oil pressure
what should I set for low alarm and high alarm, really trying to avoid spinning a bearing due to low oil pressure

-water temp
currently set min at 160 and high at 220

lastly, what should I set my shift light for? I currently have it at starting at 5000 and blinking at 5800

thanks
Old 04-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible to switch the boost alarm for oil temperature? I would use an external boost gauge to monitor boost, since for the most part, once you get it dialed in, any decent boost controller should keep the boost pretty consistent. You oil temp, on the other hand, will fluctuate andis something you should keep an eye one.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:32 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I might put in a channel down the road to monitor oil temp, but I like the idea of a boost alarm because I already had one mbc go bad with significant boost creep...
However, can't we roughly extrapolate oil temp by monitoring water temp??
Old 08-07-2009, 01:20 AM
Adam Poland
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would keep your boost at about 12-14 psi if youre running the stock K26 on the track, just to avoid blowing your turbo.. I didn't pay attention before one run, and my boost was set at 19 psi on stock turbo. Luckily it just blew off an intake tube and not my turbo lol. but, here is a pic of my dash....

Attachment 376939

...speedhut revolution gauges. Very nice gauges, are built before shipped (not kept in stock). Integrated shift/warning LED lights. All electric. A little pricey though. GT racing fiberglass race dash. Sorry for bad pic quality, this was taken with my iPhone lol.

Also, I am in the process of hooking these gauges up right now, and need to know where to set my water temp and oil pressure should be set as well.

-Happy motoring

Last edited by Adam Poland; 03-04-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by troppo
However, can't we roughly extrapolate oil temp by monitoring water temp??
nope, and oil temp is pretty critical for our cars.

On the other settings I would lower the coolant temp to 210. Remember that its a warning light - you want it to come on so you will take a closer look and monitor the situation. You can still run at 210 but you should know that the temp is going up and keep an eye on it.

Oil pressure - I would set it at 2bar/30 psi. If you drop to that level when on the track (rpms are up) you have an issue. It may trigger when at idle but thats not a problem - if it triggers at 4-6k rpm then you will want to check it out.

RPM - teh stock set up is fine to run to 6500, bu tif you have a stock turbo then there is not much to gain. Again - as with the other warning lights, set it to warn you that the limits is comming- not the the limit is here!
Old 08-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Poland
I would keep your boost at about 12-14 psi if youre running the stock K26 on the track, just to avoid blowing your turbo..
The stock turbo will make 25+psi and not 'blow up'.

The problem is that it will start to raise the intake temps due to running outside of its efficiency band. 15psi is about the max I would suggest for track use - and a little lower on hot days...
Old 08-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Adam Poland
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris White
The stock turbo will make 25+psi and not 'blow up'.

The problem is that it will start to raise the intake temps due to running outside of its efficiency band. 15psi is about the max I would suggest for track use - and a little lower on hot days...
Yeah, I don't trust my car at anything higher than 15 lol. My turbo is pretty, shall we say, beat up as it is lol.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:56 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Poland
I would keep your boost at about 12-14 psi if youre running the stock K26 on the track, just to avoid blowing your turbo.. I didn't pay attention before one run, and my boost was set at 19 psi on stock turbo. Luckily it just blew off an intake tube and not my turbo lol. but, here is a pic of my dash....

Attachment 376939

...speedhut revolution gauges. Very nice gauges, are built before shipped (not kept in stock). Integrated shift/warning LED lights. All electric. A little pricey though. GT racing fiberglass race dash. Sorry for bad pic quality, this was taken with my iPhone lol.

Also, I am in the process of hooking these gauges up right now, and need to know where to set my water temp and oil pressure should be set as well.

-Happy motoring
LOL this thread is a little shall we say ... OLD

the OP car now has a huge turbo on it and the boost is run a bit higher not to mention a different owner.

Anyway welcome aboard
Old 08-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Adam Poland
Racer

Originally Posted by blown 944
LOL this thread is a little shall we say ... OLD

the OP car now has a huge turbo on it and the boost is run a bit higher not to mention a different owner.

Anyway welcome aboard
Haha oh wow. I didn't even see that.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:03 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

you need an aim mxl or similar digital dash, gauges are useless without proper alarms and logging imho

Quick Reply: Attention 951 track junkies...need some help setting up my dash