Quick Car storage question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008 | 04:10 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts
Default Quick Car storage question

OK, well my track car build was not entirely successful. I don't want to get into the details but there was a cam tensioner failure. Details to follows as well figuring out where I can even find space to work on the car.

In any event, I was using SAE ND 30 as suggested by a few machinists I have talked with as well as suggested by a few rennlisters. I also have the car full of water and water wetter.

I have a little bit of a water leak and something is weeping oil, no time to fix it to be honest or care after the horrendous nature of this project. Is it better for me to just drain both of these things? I am going to have the car transported by intercity transport. They only want another $100 for non-running and I will be reimbursed for the expense.

Also, I know I don't have time to drain the gas. What should I do about this? Just leave it and pump all of it out like I did with the 2 year old gas the first time. There was an extensive thread in OT about "bad" gas that we have now or whatever.
Old 04-11-2008 | 04:40 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 207 Posts

How long is it going to be stored this time?

As far as the failed tensioner goes... I just helped another 'lister work through one of these, and I would be happy to give you some pointers if you are considering doing the work yourself.

see thread https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/422167-8-and-9-fuchs-on-the-951-a.html
Old 04-11-2008 | 04:44 PM
spammajamma
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas stabiizer, pep boys etc, should be good for 12-18 months

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
OK, well my track car build was not entirely successful. I don't want to get into the details but there was a cam tensioner failure. Details to follows as well figuring out where I can even find space to work on the car.

In any event, I was using SAE ND 30 as suggested by a few machinists I have talked with as well as suggested by a few rennlisters. I also have the car full of water and water wetter.

I have a little bit of a water leak and something is weeping oil, no time to fix it to be honest or care after the horrendous nature of this project. Is it better for me to just drain both of these things? I am going to have the car transported by intercity transport. They only want another $100 for non-running and I will be reimbursed for the expense.

Also, I know I don't have time to drain the gas. What should I do about this? Just leave it and pump all of it out like I did with the 2 year old gas the first time. There was an extensive thread in OT about "bad" gas that we have now or whatever.
left alone it will gum up your injectors
Old 04-12-2008 | 01:02 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Ok, injectors are out of the car, as they weren't mine anyways. I am not going to bother with gas stabilizer. I'll just drain all of the gas out that is in there now when I get to the car.

Sadly, I actually know too much about these cars. I had the entire running gear and suspension out and replaced, cleaned, or machined. Oh well. I do this long enough I will probably wreck a tub or two club racing and kill my fair share of engines. I just don't want to be at the mercy of a mechanic, which I see all too often. I don't mind paying somebody to the work, but I don't want to be held hostage. I'll pay for it when I really just don't want to do it. Also, it is a good idea to have good working knowledge if you are club racing because it is nice to be able to fix problems before it ruins your whole weekend.

Quick Reply: Quick Car storage question