Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pulled the head today

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 03:29 PM
biggles
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David,
Did you use any type of sealant on your head gasket; assuming you went ahead with the MLS. Are you using OEM head studs? I will be installing a MLS head gasket with some raceware studs some time this week and just wanted to get some insight.

Thanks!

biggles
Old 03-31-2008, 11:35 PM
wolfenstein
Instructor

i usually flush with plain water, that is as long as the coolant came out clean, if not go to a napa and get some pro grade stuff-motorvac makes a good flush conditioner. FWIW i've been using blue oem volvo coolant
Old 04-01-2008, 12:26 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Good news David. By the way, is your header panel a modified stock metal one or something else. Looks like a neatly modified stock one judging by the thickness. Have you done a c/r test and if so what numbers are you getting?
It is a modified stock panel, also have it ducted so the stock inlet feeds the bottom half of the intercooler and the cut header panel feeds the top half.

If c/r = compression ratio, then it's been a while, but it was 149/150 psi 1000 miles after build.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:27 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by biggles
David,
Did you use any type of sealant on your head gasket; assuming you went ahead with the MLS. Are you using OEM head studs? I will be installing a MLS head gasket with some raceware studs some time this week and just wanted to get some insight.

Thanks!

biggles
No sealant just clean and dry, reusing ARP's last torque to 90 ft lbs
Old 04-01-2008, 12:29 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wolfenstein
i usually flush with plain water, that is as long as the coolant came out clean, if not go to a napa and get some pro grade stuff-motorvac makes a good flush conditioner. FWIW i've been using blue oem volvo coolant
Coolant was sort of dirty, Motorvac at NAPA will do
Old 04-01-2008, 09:50 PM
wolfenstein
Instructor

if that's the case use a good flush followed by straight water, you might have to do straight H2O a few times till it comes back clear. then fill with a quality coolant. did you change it regulary?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:09 PM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by David Floyd
It is a modified stock panel, also have it ducted so the stock inlet feeds the bottom half of the intercooler and the cut header panel feeds the top half.
Im under the impression that you want to feed the core of the IC. Ie duct around the entire perimiter so air flows through the center portions?
At least thats the way Audi has the idea. Just something to think about with all the efficiencey testing i read up a while back (ducting, fans, blah blah)

On another note, I hope you can keep this head and block together for a while! Lots of HG issues lately
Old 04-02-2008, 12:00 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zoltan944
Im under the impression that you want to feed the core of the IC. Ie duct around the entire perimiter so air flows through the center portions?
At least thats the way Audi has the idea. Just something to think about with all the efficiencey testing i read up a while back (ducting, fans, blah blah)
Speak to me....

Some think if you vent the header panel you create an exit for air, not an inlet so I constructed a divider between the stock inlet and the cut header panel, so none of the air from the stock duct can excape thur the header panel if that's the case. The perimiter is sealed.

Then the hood is vented to help move air thru the intercooler and engine bay area.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:02 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wolfenstein
if that's the case use a good flush followed by straight water, you might have to do straight H2O a few times till it comes back clear. then fill with a quality coolant. did you change it regulary?
The coolant in the car was 2 years old, the leaky headgasket cause contamination.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:10 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by David Floyd
Speak to me....

Some think if you vent the header panel you create an exit for air, not an inlet so I constructed a divider between the stock inlet and the cut header panel, so none of the air from the stock duct can escape thur the header panel if that's the case. The perimeter is sealed.

Then the hood is vented to help move air thru the intercooler and engine bay area.
I believe that if you have a front mount i/c you can block the radiator with the i/c so the vented nose panel should provide some airflow in from the top and hopefully be drawn through the hood vents. At least that's my theory. I can't see the vented header panel being an outlet. Too much air rushing in. There was a long thread on all this some time ago which a few of us expounded out theories and also came up with drawings. I'm pretty happy with the way I'll do mine and of course it can be tested too.

Quick Reply: Pulled the head today