Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

gasket sealer or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:09 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default gasket sealer or not?

Should I use gasket sealer on water outlet gaskets, intake gaskets, oil filter housing, or cam housing? The surfaces are all cleaned perfectly. Also what about an mls headgasket? I heard copper spray is a good idea?
Old 03-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

After having a new water gasket on cleaned surfaces with new bolts torqued to spec leaking I have gone to the dark side... meaning I'm using sealants on some places. Have not had the need to use it on intake gaskets or cam housing gasket though.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I typically use a skim coat of blue rtv on the water pump gasket and a skim coat of black RTV on the cam tower gaskets (rear cover included). If it squeezes out when you tightened it then you used way more then needed. I install the Cometic's dry and haven't had one leak on 4 years.

Oh yeah, I typically put a light coat of antisieze on the intake gaskets so they don't stick to the mating surface. It's also handy if you have to pull the intake shortly after installation and don't want to use a new gasket.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:52 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ultra Grey works wonders. Then again with that stuff you can basically skip the gasket itself
Old 03-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

They are designed to go on dry. I've never used sealant on those gaskets (sans the MLS HG, which I've never used) and never had a leak. I could be just lucky I suppose.

The only leaker from the factory that I've come across is the black plastic turbo thermostat housing. When I built my motor, I used a NEW housing, on a NEW waterpump, with a NEW o-ring, and NEW bolts torqued to factory spec, and the darn thing still leaked. In my late night irritation, I discovered, however, that an oil return o-ring from under the turbo is a bit thicker than the o-ring made for the thermostat housing, and will keep the housing from leaking.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:07 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah ive used no gasket sealer on anything not intended besides a light film on the waterpump-since i has some issues w/ it- and the corners of the oil pan gasket - used the anerobic sealer on the block pieces... Guess its time to check torque on my rear cambox gasket.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
yeah ive used no gasket sealer on anything not intended besides a light film on the waterpump-since i has some issues w/ it- and the corners of the oil pan gasket - used the anerobic sealer on the block pieces... Guess its time to check torque on my rear cambox gasket.

Agreed re oil pan -- that's a factory recommendation as well, RTV 730 if I recall.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:21 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dry and clean here. I have used a bit of tacky red gasket sealer spray on the oil cooler/thermostat housing just to hold it in place if it fell out on the first attempt.

Quick Reply: gasket sealer or not?