Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Nose panel removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 284 Posts
Default Nose panel removal

I purchased a silver hood crest a while ago & now that he weather has finally changed to a decent temp I went out to look at how big of a job it will be to switch them.

Obviously I found that the nose panel will need to come off... This concerns me because I've seen a number of 951's with slightly mis-aligned nose panels & mine is perfect with equal gaps all round.

I saw the line of phillips head screws at the top of the panel - but what other screws or clips are hiding??

Should I take the panel off - or just live with my gold crest & leave perfection alone???

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:02 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Nurburger
I purchased a silver hood crest a while ago & now that he weather has finally changed to a decent temp I went out to look at how big of a job it will be to switch them.

Obviously I found that the nose panel will need to come off... This concerns me because I've seen a number of 951's with slightly mis-aligned nose panels & mine is perfect with equal gaps all round.

I saw the line of phillips head screws at the top of the panel - but what other screws or clips are hiding??

Should I take the panel off - or just live with my gold crest & leave perfection alone???

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Removing the nose panel is easy

Remove the two black rubbers under the pop up lights, loosen the 4 nuts but don't remove them (2 on each side) there is one 10mm bolt inside the wall that holds the intercooler and another at the tip of the panel on each side. Easy job.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Thanks lart.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:23 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DON'T LEAN ON THE PANEL...EVER!

So be careful with it.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:07 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

usually the panel isnt mis aligned but the headlights, bumper or the car has been hit or has a fiberglass poor fitting panel. Should come off and go back on just fine. I take blue painters tape and put it on the headlights and bumper when i pull mine off to keep from scratching anything and flip the headlights up before you start.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:23 PM
project951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nuts and bolts
Old 03-16-2008, 11:38 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

the crest simply presses on, YOU DON'T NEED TO REMOVE THE NOSE PANEL TO REPLACE THE CREST, at least not on my '88. just be careful when you pry, use tape, etc.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:02 AM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

Of course Lart knows how to remove the nose panel..
Old 03-17-2008, 01:12 AM
kdjones2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by jason952
the crest simply presses on, YOU DON'T NEED TO REMOVE THE NOSE PANEL TO REPLACE THE CREST, at least not on my '88. just be careful when you pry, use tape, etc.
I have been told that the crests with the bolts on the back are for 911's. 944's all used the rubber grommets and just pressed into place.

Good luck,

Keith
Old 03-17-2008, 03:23 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nurburger

Obviously I found that the nose panel will need to come off...
The nose panel does not need to come off. The crest is held in place with two rubber grommets under the nose panel that are fixed in place. It's a friction-fit. Simply pries off. A small screwdriver does it easily.

If your replacement crest has threaded pins and needs to be secured by nuts, it won't work. Not without modifying the panel anyway.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:58 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Red1
It's a friction-fit. Simply pries off. A small screwdriver does it easily.
Dental floss works even better with no risk of scratching the paint!
Old 03-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Red1
The nose panel does not need to come off. The crest is held in place with two rubber grommets under the nose panel that are fixed in place. It's a friction-fit. Simply pries off. A small screwdriver does it easily.

If your replacement crest has threaded pins and needs to be secured by nuts, it won't work. Not without modifying the panel anyway.
Thanks for that info - the OEM silver crest that I purchased does not have threaded pins, it came with wax filled securing nuts.

I would imagine that the pins from both crests would be of similar diameter - allowing me to simply switch one for the other...

Great.

Quick Reply: Nose panel removal