Koni rebuilds

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:03 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Koni rebuilds

What do you guys do when you send your koni's in to be rebuilt?
Do you leave the car up on jackstands or do you install an old set of struts/shocks while the koni's are being done? Mine need a rebuild. I think I got screwed buying them "new" off ebay. How long does koni normally take to do a rebuild?
Old 03-13-2008, 02:26 AM
kdjones2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine are at Koni now, being rebuilt. They said that right now they are very busy due to "race season" starting soon, and it seems that everyone is asking to have their shocks/struts rebuilt.

They gave me a 5 week rebuild time.... We shall see.

For me, I have just put in my old Sachs/Boge stuff until the Koni's arrive, but I am not really driving the car. Needs a new alignment anyway.

Cheers,

Keith
Old 03-13-2008, 07:04 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Are those the Koni yellows?

If so, why not either get the conversion kit from Paragon or get them pre-assembled from Paragon as well? (send you're old ones back to get a core).
Old 03-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine are at truechoice being rebuilt, so I'm running the stock components for now...
Old 03-13-2008, 01:21 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Are those the Koni yellows?

If so, why not either get the conversion kit from Paragon or get them pre-assembled from Paragon as well? (send you're old ones back to get a core).
So I should buy new ones when Koni will rebuild the ones I already have? Is that what you are saying or am I missing something? I'm not trying to be rude(I can do it with out trying), I just don't get what you are saying.

Keith,
I converted my fronts and threw out my old rears so I don't have anything to put on my car when I send mine to Koni. I use my car as a daily driver when I am in town so I need something while mine are out at koni. What year is your car? Wanna lend me your old stuff to use while mine are out being rebuilt?
Old 03-15-2008, 12:06 AM
kdjones2000
Instructor

Mine are from an '88. Most of it works I think, one version has a longer throw or overall length than the other ('86 vs. '87+). Can't remember which.

Right now they are on my car, waiting for Koni to return my rebuilt parts

Once that happens, sure you can use them if you want, but it would most likely involve another alignment. That is if you value your tires....

Koni told me they wouldn't even get to mine for another 2-3 weeks, as they are at peak rebuild season. If you can wait, then I might be able to help.

Cheers,

Keith
Old 03-15-2008, 12:21 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

paragons like 130 per strut plus the core so if you take yours off- mail them to paragon and then they send you new ones they could be done pretty quick and even have new paint! Not sure how much they charge for rebuilding but im sure its comparable.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:36 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by azbanks
So I should buy new ones when Koni will rebuild the ones I already have? Is that what you are saying or am I missing something? I'm not trying to be rude(I can do it with out trying), I just don't get what you are saying.

Keith,
I converted my fronts and threw out my old rears so I don't have anything to put on my car when I send mine to Koni. I use my car as a daily driver when I am in town so I need something while mine are out at koni. What year is your car? Wanna lend me your old stuff to use while mine are out being rebuilt?
What i am saying is that Paragon offers a rebuild as well, i am not sure about what Koni does, but Paragon has assembled struts ready for shipment.

Link
Old 03-15-2008, 12:55 PM
kdjones2000
Instructor

Guys you are missing something here. He ALREADY has bought inserts, and wants those rebuilt. If he sends them back to Koni, he gets it done for FREE (lifetime warranty).

I don't think he is interested in buying another set for "in the meantime".

Keith
Old 03-15-2008, 02:42 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you need a pair of stock struts to hold you over, I can send a pair, ready to put on, on Monday. It'll cost you shipping and 30 bucks. They are purely cores. They'll get you around until yours come back. They are really worn out, but they'll be fine for the time you need them.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:12 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kdjones2000
Guys you are missing something here. He ALREADY has bought inserts, and wants those rebuilt. If he sends them back to Koni, he gets it done for FREE (lifetime warranty).

I don't think he is interested in buying another set for "in the meantime".

Keith
Ok, he purchased new inerts and wants Koni to install them in the struts?

Looks like my mind is going south......
Old 03-15-2008, 08:08 PM
lejams
Pro

Where does he say he has already bought new inserts?

Paragon's exchange is a good solution unless you have the adjustable M030's. To use the inserts the struts have to be cut. If you cut the M030, you can never have the struts converted to double adjustable. If it's not M030, or you have no interest to ever convert to double adjustables, than you're not concerned about this.

Koni is probably six weeks or even more at this time of the year. Truechoice service is equal to Koni except they are usually faster by a couple of weeks or more. If it's your daily driver, you could send in your old struts for rebuild or borrow a set while you send in the ones on the car.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:07 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the input. I do have the koni's and they are currently installed on my car. I'm trying to figure out what to do when I get around to sending them off to Koni for a free rebuild. I can't take them off and drive around with no shocks and struts. I need something to drive on while my koni's are out. I'm not in a hurry which sounds like a good thing if koni is very busy.
I may have another problem. I bought them on ebay. It took three months to get them and I'm afraid they may be fakes. They came in what looked like authentic koni boxes and they seemed ligit at the time I installed them. They have around 5K miles on them and they are already failing. I doubt real, new Koni's would start to fail so soon. I hope I'm wrong.
But hey, I got them for about $80 less than I could have gotten them from paragon.
Three month wait time, almost immediate failure. yeah it was worth the $80. NOT!
Old 03-16-2008, 04:20 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by azbanks
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the input. I do have the koni's and they are currently installed on my car. I'm trying to figure out what to do when I get around to sending them off to Koni for a free rebuild. I can't take them off and drive around with no shocks and struts. I need something to drive on while my koni's are out. I'm not in a hurry which sounds like a good thing if koni is very busy.
I may have another problem. I bought them on ebay. It took three months to get them and I'm afraid they may be fakes. They came in what looked like authentic koni boxes and they seemed ligit at the time I installed them. They have around 5K miles on them and they are already failing. I doubt real, new Koni's would start to fail so soon. I hope I'm wrong.
But hey, I got them for about $80 less than I could have gotten them from paragon.
Three month wait time, almost immediate failure. yeah it was worth the $80. NOT!
If they are real Koni's it was worth it. Pay for shipping from FL to AZ and you can use my stock struts while yours are out. After that, you can put them on ebay and we'll split the profit.

azbanks and I have had some serious OT disputes, so he probably has me on ignore. However, he's a 951 guy who needs a hand, so someone quote my post so he can read it...even If I do still thinks he's nutz!
Old 03-16-2008, 11:54 AM
kdjones2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by ehall
If they are real Koni's it was worth it. Pay for shipping from FL to AZ and you can use my stock struts while yours are out. After that, you can put them on ebay and we'll split the profit.

azbanks and I have had some serious OT disputes, so he probably has me on ignore. However, he's a 951 guy who needs a hand, so someone quote my post so he can read it...even If I do still thinks he's nutz!
Done....

Quick Reply: Koni rebuilds