Koni rebuilds

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 12:53 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
If they are real Koni's it was worth it. Pay for shipping from FL to AZ and you can use my stock struts while yours are out. After that, you can put them on ebay and we'll split the profit.

azbanks and I have had some serious OT disputes, so he probably has me on ignore. However, he's a 951 guy who needs a hand, so someone quote my post so he can read it...even If I do still thinks he's nutz!

I wouldn't ignore you. What fun would life be without a few friendly disagreements. I just don't want you to get in trouble with the wrong people for helping me out.
If I was in a rush, I'd take you up on this right now but there's a bunch of guys here in phoenix that I haven't spoken with about this yet. I'm sure I can come up with a local set when the time comes.
I really do appreciate the offer. I'll keep it in mind.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:08 PM
kdjones2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got a note from Koni that my shocks should be done by today (Wednesday). Looks like you have to bother them enough to keep their attention on your shocks. Paul said that they have been working 6 days a week since January, and are still way behind.

Still don't know yet what the $$$ hit is, but at least I will be up and running with M030 suspension soon

Cheers,

Keith
Old 04-10-2008, 01:31 AM
spammajamma
Pro

Default do the stock 951s's koni's have a lifetime warranty?

Originally Posted by kdjones2000
Guys you are missing something here. He ALREADY has bought inserts, and wants those rebuilt. If he sends them back to Koni, he gets it done for FREE (lifetime warranty).

I don't think he is interested in buying another set for "in the meantime".

Keith
even if I am the fourth owner?
Old 04-10-2008, 01:31 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spammajamma
I believe it is for the original owner only.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:53 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

i beleive the oringinal konis are not worth rebuilding mine cost be 85% of a new set and they are bumpy ride to compared to similar performing biltein
Old 04-11-2008, 01:04 AM
kdjones2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by spammajamma
The deal for free rebuilds is ONLY good for retail sales. OEM shocks/struts are not covered. You can still get them rebuilt, but they only get a 90 day warranty.

Makes more sense to get new inserts from Pelican/Paragon, and then have those rebuilt for free if they go bad, IMO.

Cheers,

Keith
Old 04-11-2008, 02:09 AM
aventari
Instructor

The front adjustable coil-over Koni struts on my 89 Turbo S are at Truechoice right now being rebuilt. I guess this is the M030 suspension--the height adjustable Konis?

They arrived Monday and when I called they said it would be 3 weeks to rebuild..

Since I don't have an extra set, my car is sitting on blocks. I've decided this weekend to pull the rears as well and send those in on Monday so I don't have to wait with the car on blocks ANOTHER 3 weeks to get those rebuilt.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:24 AM
kdjones2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by aventari
The front adjustable coil-over Koni struts on my 89 Turbo S are at Truechoice right now being rebuilt. I guess this is the M030 suspension--the height adjustable Konis?

They arrived Monday and when I called they said it would be 3 weeks to rebuild..

Since I don't have an extra set, my car is sitting on blocks. I've decided this weekend to pull the rears as well and send those in on Monday so I don't have to wait with the car on blocks ANOTHER 3 weeks to get those rebuilt.
How much $$ for Truechoice to rebuild them, and what kind of guarantee do they provide? If their turnaround is 3 weeks, that is considerably better than Koni. I am at 6 weeks so far, and that is with badgering them to get them done.

Keith
Old 04-11-2008, 06:21 PM
aventari
Instructor

How much $$ for Truechoice to rebuild them, and what kind of guarantee do they provide? If their turnaround is 3 weeks, that is considerably better than Koni. I am at 6 weeks so far, and that is with badgering them to get them done.

Keith
$140 each plus parts (usually $30-$40 each)

I didn't ask about a guarantee though.

Since have the M030 suspension, can I just get a set of crappy stock rear shocks for any 944 and bolt those on while the Koni's get rebuilt?

Do any 924/944 rear's fit the Turbo S?
Old 04-11-2008, 09:41 PM
kdjones2000
Instructor

I think that the other shocks in the rear should bolt up OK.

I just got the bill today: $805 for the 4, including return shipping..... Would have definitely been cheaper to go aftermarket.

Sounds like your rebuild is pretty much the same cost, too.

I would check in to what the warranty is - that might sway others one direction or another.

Back on topic: AZBanks, looks like my struts will be available in the next couple weeks

Keith
Old 05-29-2008, 02:16 AM
aventari
Instructor

UPDATE FOR THOSE INTERESTED

I think that the other shocks in the rear should bolt up OK.

I just got the bill today: $805 for the 4, including return shipping..... Would have definitely been cheaper to go aftermarket.

Sounds like your rebuild is pretty much the same cost, too.

I would check in to what the warranty is - that might sway others one direction or another.

Back on topic: AZBanks, looks like my struts will be available in the next couple weeks

Keith
I just got my struts last week from TrueChoice. So they took about 5-6 weeks to rebuild, that's without any badgering on my part.

They charged me $380 including new bump stops at $16 each. The only complaint I have is that they broke one of the plastic wear sensor bracket things. I can't find one only for sale either. Anyone know where to get this?

I also need new dust boots but I'm not about to pay $60+ for 2 new ones. Anyone know of a cheaper source for these than 944online?

Is a new upper strut mount really $400?

Quick Reply: Koni rebuilds