Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Nice write up on Vitesse in European Car mag

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 04:25 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nice write up on Vitesse in European Car mag

The shop next door brought over a mag for me to gander at since I play with the 951's and there is a nice write up in there about the MAF setup.

It's the may issue if anyone is interested. Nice 951 too.

Just thought I'd share
Old 03-12-2008, 04:34 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you beat me to it! got a subscription. doesn't give any power numbers but does give praise to out of box tune. Nice to see our small corner of the world show up there
Old 03-12-2008, 04:37 PM
caster951
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They had given up on Project 951 for a few years, it is nice to see them back at it, and this time with Vitesse!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:44 PM
azmi951
Drifting

John is on vacation this week so he may or may not respond to this thread.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:48 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I thought they killed off Project 951. Good to see it back. Is the issue on the stands?
Old 03-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Tms951
Pro

Read it too, good to see the project is still going. One thing really bothered me though. They nock the link system and say they could never get the A/F right, but then go on to say that it had High impedance injectors before with a low inpendance injector chip. Would have been nice to see what would have happened with the link and the right injectors. Also they don't seem to indicate they made any power gains, with the new set up.

It is cool to see a 951 project in a mag, but this one was pretty much a joke most of the time. There was always something wrong, I mean come on how hard is it to order the right injectors.

They have a 400whp+ turbo and can't get over 280whp? They don't have any sort of boost controler in the car and just run off of wastegate spring pressure. It really sort of seems like amature hour. I am surprised the editers even let this keep going.

The first few installments were some what informative, but it has gone down hill.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:22 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tms951
Read it too, good to see the project is still going. One thing really bothered me though. They nock the link system and say they could never get the A/F right, but then go on to say that it had High impedance injectors before with a low inpendance injector chip. Would have been nice to see what would have happened with the link and the right injectors. Also they don't seem to indicate they made any power gains, with the new set up.

It is cool to see a 951 project in a mag, but this one was pretty much a joke most of the time. There was always something wrong, I mean come on how hard is it to order the right injectors.

They have a 400whp+ turbo and can't get over 280whp? They don't have any sort of boost controler in the car and just run off of wastegate spring pressure. It really sort of seems like amature hour. I am surprised the editers even let this keep going.

The first few installments were some what informative, but it has gone down hill.
I guarentee they never ran high impedance injectors with a low impedance chip. High impedance injectors are known as saturated injectors and require high current the entire duty cycle while low impedance injectors, known as peak and hold injectors, only require high current to open the injector. You can figure the rest out.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:33 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

nice to see the project back up and going. Also nice to see john get some recognition. It would be nice to see them actually do what the parts are ment to do.

what was there last dyno at 9psi??
Old 03-14-2008, 02:52 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

can any scan the article?
Old 03-17-2008, 10:17 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Just got my copy of EC, the article was written over a year ago. I will try to get a copy of the article in PDF format and make it available on line.

It was a interesting project as we had to tune the car from 3000 miles away. Working with Pablo was a very positive experience, he is very good at what he does, and he was able to learn the software we supplied him quickly.

The main goal of the MAF/PB conversion was to eliminate the issues it had; mainly drivability, solid AFR and the ability to handle additional modifications, different fuels and boost levels. I'm glad to say we succeeded at every level, and the owner of the car was happy with the results.

A few issues popped up during the initial setup, none of them were related to the Vitesse products. However with the data logging capabilities of the PiggyBack, we were able to identify the cause. It's amazing how much weird behavior you experience when you have a bad ground connection

At the time of the installation, the engine was fresh, so running it hard under boost was not a option. To add to the fresh build, the turbo that was on the car (not a Vitesse turbo) had issues, which also halted the higher boost runs.

Since then, I believe the turbo was fixed recently. I'm not sure what are the future plans for the 951 project.

Vitesse is involved in a various interesting projects (non 951), we also have a few things for the 944/951 so stay tuned
Old 03-17-2008, 10:24 AM
DivineE
Racer

Just a quicky because I know you'll be following this thread, my car still runs at max vacuum (on the dash guage) when off boost with the MAF installed? I thought that because there was now no resistance with a MAF sensor it would run at or very near atmospheric pressure when off boost?

Regards,

Ben
Old 03-17-2008, 11:34 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your engine will still pull vacuum.

The TB is the restriction creating the vacuum not the MAF or AFM. Although the AFM is a restriction at high rpm, hence switching to the MAF along with tune ability.

Quick Reply: Nice write up on Vitesse in European Car mag