Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Evolution motorsports diverter valve spring rate

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Evolution motorsports diverter valve spring rate

I believe my evo diverter valve is opening too soon. I can here a boost leak in that area under boost. I'm also seeing late spool up from my stock k26, where should it see full boost (14psi)? Also when I shift and I hear the diverter valve the car goes rich (low 10s) for a moment, would this be caused by my valve?

Lindsey sells a stiffer spring for $10
http://www.lindseyracing.com/mm5/mer...de=BYPASSVALVE

or what looks like the better deal,
forge motorsport 4 different springs for $15
http://www.forgemotorsport.com/conte...roduct=FMDVTUN
Old 02-17-2008, 01:55 AM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Your right the stock spring is weak.

As for the two options above, I have both forge spring kit and the Lindsey stiff spring. I have not had a chance to try either of them yet. The Lindsey spring is longer and "feels" the equivalent of the blue spring in the Forge kit.

I am going to try the Forge spring first when I get everything back together and to the Dyno here in the next couple of weeks.

Either option is better than what is in the EVO valve stock. Also I would suggest regreasing the O rings in the valve with a thick grease from time to time as well.

IPSC
Old 02-17-2008, 07:55 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Thanks! I'll probably just get the forge kit as it looks like a better deal.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Loquat15
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nah dude, just go back to stock!!! :-D
Old 02-18-2008, 12:01 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

no thanks, rubber diaphrams don't belong on my turbo sytem.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:18 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

BUMP

IPSC, Keith, others
Which spring in the forge kit was the "right" one for you?

I read the next thread in my search and found this:

Originally Posted by Trucho-951
It comes with five springs of different stiffness and some light weight aluminum shims. The springs are the same diameter and height as the EVO BOV. Right now I'm using the yellow spring, middle of the road, it is stiffer than the EVO spring and the BOV no longer bleeds off early. The red spring seems really stiff, so I'm staying away from it for the moment.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:26 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm using the yellow spring. My boost goes to 18 psi.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

I used the second strongest spring and its still going rich however I think it is unavoidable.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:02 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Mine goes rich when I lift the throttle too... even if there's no boost..
But I'm not blaming that on the DV. My problem is the flutter.. The spring kit is fairly inexpensive (not that I think 4 springs cost very much) so I want to play with it a bit and see what changes I can make.

Originally Posted by toddk911
"From Forge rep: Mike@Forge"
If you are finding that your valve is dumping more air than required, venting too soon, or it is leaking boost before the redline of your application is reached, it is normally an indication that the valve is adjusted or tuned too softly and that a stronger spring or more spring tension is required. Conversely if the valve is failing to dump boost pressure, or you are experiencing valve fluttering at full boost throttle lift, it may be necessary to install a weaker spring or tune the valve to a softer setting.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:40 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by porschefig
Mine goes rich when I lift the throttle too... even if there's no boost..
But I'm not blaming that on the DV. My problem is the flutter.. The spring kit is fairly inexpensive (not that I think 4 springs cost very much) so I want to play with it a bit and see what changes I can make.

For the "rich off throttle" condition you may want to look at the TPS adjustment.
It should cut fuel at anything over ~1600 rpm when the throttle closes. If it is not adjusted properly it will continue to add a little fuel between shifts and on decel.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:31 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

If it seems like the TPS clicks *exactly* when the throttle opens/closes would you adjust it so it clicks RIGHT after it opens /before it closes?
Old 04-17-2009, 01:25 AM
globalmike
Advanced

did you guys have a problem sliding the barbed end into the j-boot or into the rubber hose? I had problems and ripped the j-boot. should i just upgrade to an aluminium inlet tube or pick up another rubber j-boot
Old 04-17-2009, 03:02 AM
Ballistic-Chapman
Burning Brakes

anyone have a functioning EVO DV? I have one sitting in my closet waiting to be installed.
great sig Keith. Any more pics up?
Old 04-17-2009, 03:34 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by globalmike
did you guys have a problem sliding the barbed end into the j-boot or into the rubber hose? I had problems and ripped the j-boot. should i just upgrade to an aluminium inlet tube or pick up another rubber j-boot
It depends on your budget. I guess you could fab an aluminium inlet tube, but you can't just "upgrade" or "buy" one. If you mean that you are thinking of upgrading to a MAF, then yes, you should. The better solution is to use a different recirc valve that fits properly, such as the stock piece, a 930 piece of a Forge brand recirc valve...among a number of other good and proper valves. Then you can pick up a new J boot on ebay.
The best solution is to go MAF, but it will cost a bit more.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:40 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by globalmike
I didn't have much of a problem, just twist it a bit. I believe metal inlet pipes are around $200 and lindsey, vitesse, and SFR all make them. If they made ones to work with the AFM you'd obviously need a silicone hose to attach it to the AFM. I have a slightly used J-boot with <900 miles that is still quite new and not hardened. PM me if interested.

Originally Posted by Ballistic-Chapman
anyone have a functioning EVO DV? I have one sitting in my closet waiting to be installed.
great sig Keith. Any more pics up?
Yes I'm thinking about updating/organizing the body project thread because its basically done. Took a few quick pics the other day just need to find the time to upload and post when I'm not busy.

Quick Reply: Evolution motorsports diverter valve spring rate