Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Update on George D. SFR built 3.0L

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

An emulator (such as the Maxtronic) is good but it doesn't get around the limits of the stock Motronic code. Unless you're running a completely rewritten Motronic code (AFAIK there is no vender offering this to the market) you're still modifying values within the stock Motronic framework so to speak.

So while you're able to modify rev limit and fuel/ignition values you're only able to do so at the stock locations. And the highest rpm "location" in the code is 6240 rpm.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:29 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blodstrupmoen
91Octane VS special blend
He was referring to turning up the boost. Reread it. I didn't quote it all.

Special Tool's numbers are nothing to sneeze at. He's a Tool, but his numbers still stand.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:34 PM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
An emulator (such as the Maxtronic) is good but it doesn't get around the limits of the stock Motronic code. Unless you're running a completely rewritten Motronic code (AFAIK there is no vender offering this to the market) you're still modifying values within the stock Motronic framework so to speak.

So while you're able to modify rev limit and fuel/ignition values you're only able to do so at the stock locations. And the highest rpm "location" in the code is 6240 rpm.
hmmm
this car still uses the EARLY motronic (modified, no FRWilk chip in sight though) and I can tell you it is seeing more than 6240 with a lot of hours, and it hasn't blown up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWppHQ5UWCk
Old 02-11-2008, 07:08 PM
George D
Drifting

True.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:03 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 944CS
hmmm
this car still uses the EARLY motronic (modified, no FRWilk chip in sight though) and I can tell you it is seeing more than 6240 with a lot of hours, and it hasn't blown up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWppHQ5UWCk
Who's talking about blowing up?? You must have seriously missed my point. I'm talking about getting the optimal ignition curve for a highly modified engine to make the most power out of it.

There are a million ways of keeping an engine from blowing up, but it doesn't make them the best choice.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:21 AM
944CS
Drifting

what i am saying is, the limit of the motronic is higher than most people know
Old 02-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 944CS
what i am saying is, the limit of the motronic is higher than most people know
That depends on how you define "the limit".
Above 6000 rpm you need a lot more ignition advance. So running an engine a lot higher than that and not being able to tune for it to make sure you get all the power you can get - that is past the limit in my book.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:06 PM
George D
Drifting

That depends on how you define "the limit".
Above 6000 rpm you need a lot more ignition advance. So running an engine a lot higher than that and not being able to tune for it to make sure you get all the power you can get - that is past the limit in my book.
The fueling maps in the motronic are nothing but correction tables. It works on a curve and continues on the same curve up the RPM scale. So when going up in RPM's the motronic computer is reading correction tables on the curve. You will change fueling requirements for 4000rpm much earlier on the curve. When going past 6240 RPM the fuel curve is still there for fueling requirements because you changed the correction tables PRIOR to 6240 for a 7K rev limit. Your injectors don't just shut off at 6240. The computer is pulsing the fuel injectors above this limit. YOU CAN TUNE PAST 6240.

If this were an 8000 rpm motor, Russell CAN add cells to the program to allow for a larger fuel curve. He has done this for custom race motors that did not go the stand alone route.

This is not meant to be anything other than information for those that want correct data.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Diver944
Pro

Originally Posted by TurboTim
The only thing you would have to do is to change the connectors on a couple of wires.
So the alternator physically bolts onto the same mounting points as the genuine 951 version?

I need to get me one of those

(I never thought I would get ths excited about an alternator )
Old 02-12-2008, 03:50 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What is the purpose of the different alternator?
Old 02-12-2008, 03:51 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Seeing as this thread is going onto timing, what would be the main differences between the 2.5 timing curve and the 3.0 timing curve?
Old 02-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by George D
The fueling maps in the motronic are nothing but correction tables. It works on a curve and continues on the same curve up the RPM scale. So when going up in RPM's the motronic computer is reading correction tables on the curve. You will change fueling requirements for 4000rpm much earlier on the curve. When going past 6240 RPM the fuel curve is still there for fueling requirements because you changed the correction tables PRIOR to 6240 for a 7K rev limit. Your injectors don't just shut off at 6240. The computer is pulsing the fuel injectors above this limit. YOU CAN TUNE PAST 6240.

If this were an 8000 rpm motor, Russell CAN add cells to the program to allow for a larger fuel curve. He has done this for custom race motors that did not go the stand alone route.

This is not meant to be anything other than information for those that want correct data.
It seems you and 944CS thinks that I'm stating that it shuts off past 6240?
The CORRECT data is that stock Motronic code for these cars do NOT have rpm tables for any higher than 6240 rpm.
That means that even at 9540 rpm you are running on the 6240 values.
Sure it WORKS but it's NOT optimal.

Ignition values make a HUGE difference, and ESPECIALLY above 6000 rpm. To say that the stock Motronic can handle it is like saying 20 year old tires can handle the race track. Sure they won't blow up att medium pace but it's not a fast or relieble way of doing it.

If some of you guys want to stick to the Motronic - that's fine by me (heck, I even produce and sell chips for these cars) but don't try to convince yourself it's as flexible as a standalone management system.

Anyone arguing against me is either a) a chip vendor or b) not an experienced tuner.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:10 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nick_968
What is the purpose of the different alternator?
The stock alternator is too big to fit this turbo.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:13 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by Diver944
So the alternator physically bolts onto the same mounting points as the genuine 951 version?

I need to get me one of those

(I never thought I would get ths excited about an alternator )
Yes the mounting points are exactly the same. It took me many many tries to find one that worked with enough amps. I used a Nissan Quest 130amp alternator. Here's the post I made about it last summer explaining what needs to be done to convert it. Basically it's just grinding the mount a little bit for the new alternator. It's not a big deal and will allow you to go back to a stock one if you ever need to.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=19859
Old 02-12-2008, 04:23 PM
George D
Drifting

No issue here. Stand alone is the best option for a motor that wants to squeeze the last bit of HP out of the car at all RPM's. This motor is just a street/DE motor. We have cam gears for timing along with MaxTune for tuning.

I am telling you that Russell can add more cells to the motrinic code to allow for tuning up to whatever RPM you want. Call him and have a chat.

It seems you and 944CS thinks that I'm stating that it shuts off past 6240?
The CORRECT data is that stock Motronic code for these cars do NOT have rpm tables for any higher than 6240 rpm.
That means that even at 9540 rpm you are running on the 6240 values.
Sure it WORKS but it's NOT optimal.

Ignition values make a HUGE difference, and ESPECIALLY above 6000 rpm. To say that the stock Motronic can handle it is like saying 20 year old tires can handle the race track. Sure they won't blow up att medium pace but it's not a fast or relieble way of doing it.

If some of you guys want to stick to the Motronic - that's fine by me (heck, I even produce and sell chips for these cars) but don't try to convince yourself it's as flexible as a standalone management system.

Anyone arguing against me is either a) a chip vendor or b) not an experienced tuner.

Quick Reply: Update on George D. SFR built 3.0L