Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

HMMM was this a good idea??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:19 AM
CARNEXUS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPHARRIS
I actually did some reading on that car a while back. They chose the newest 1jz because they wanted to replace the rotary with something similarly high revving. It's a very cool car in my opinion! I want to make an FD autocross / track car for my next project.
I hear the LS2 in the FD is the way to go. All aluminum, light weight, and 405hp out the crate, oh lots of potential there I think.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:26 AM
RPHARRIS
Racer

UPDATE: The engine is sitting on a crate in my driveway! I also have an extra crossmember sitting next to it. I will consult several shops about fabricating a tubular version (possibly with provisions to raise the control arm bushings for improved geometry on my lowered car). At this point, I have the fabrication experience to do it myself, but I would rather it be done by a certified welder with more formal training. The tubular crosssmember will allow me to mount the engine lower so perhaps I won't need a modified hood.

I can't wait for summer. The plan at the moment is to fit the engine with the stock twins in place and enjoy it that way until all of the kinks are worked out. Eventually a single turbo will find its way on there. Nothing too outrageous, I just want a reliable 600+whp with a nice powerband (no immediate intentions to break 1000).

This swap won't be half-assed. My money doesn't grow on trees but I'm not going to let funds get in my way on this one. The goal here is to make this engine look and feel like it belongs.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:56 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RPHARRIS
The goal here is to make this engine look and feel like it belongs.
That is what everyone should go for!
Old 03-13-2008, 01:10 AM
951Gary
Instructor

[QUOTE=RPHARRIS;5192859] Nothing too outrageous, I just want a reliable 600+whp with a nice powerband...QUOTE]

That should be sweet. Where abouts in the Bay area are you? I have friends that build race cars and are pretty handy with a TIG torch. They've been known to accept small amounts of cash to finish welding up a tacked-together frame - so you could do all the time consuming part yourself.

I'd love to come check this out at various stages. I've been thinking of changing the engine in mine out at some distant future date, mostly because the Germans have never figured out how to keep the motor oil exclusively inside the engine. Conversely, the Japanese seems to be exceptionally good at it.

Gary
Old 03-13-2008, 01:30 AM
951Gary
Instructor

looking at the 1JZ 944 pic's, it seems he's solved the hood clearance problem in a simple way, assuming it fully clears - which it looks like it might.

One of the things that I haven't liked in any of the 944 engine swaps, and shows in the 1JZ images as well, is giving up the brake booster. Porsche did a really nice job with the brakes on these, and I'd really hate to give up the way it feels now. I've never driven one without the power assist, so maybe it's better than I imagine. I'm afraid the pedal effort would be rather high unless the master were changed for a smaller bore, and then the travel and feel would be different.

Gary

Quick Reply: HMMM was this a good idea??