Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 seat modification for harnesses?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Phil R
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 seat modification for harnesses?

this may seem like a ridiculous question but has anyone modified a stock seat for a harness pass through?

I recently purchased a 1988 951 with 70k miles that needs a fair amount of work and i'm not sure I really want to deal with picking out new seats especially since their are very few retail locations that have seats to try. my only problem with the stock seat is that the harness can fall off the side of the seat causing a dangerous situation on the track. does anyone have ideas on how to fix this without buying new seats? for right now I just want to get everything working properly and I'm trying to minimise modifications before the car gets on the track.

the mods i'm doing or have done so far are the 968 caster blocks, all new power steering lines, mo30 rear sway bar, fix driver side door lock, custom oil cooler to replace damaged kiss system, oil temp gauge and perhaps a wideband Zeitronix set up.

modifications on the car.
Pauter rods, coated Porsche pistons, cross-drilled crank, port matched intake, Wide Fire head gasket, Raceware headstuds, LR oil pan baffle kit, KISS LR oil cooler, Kokeln turbo, Nology wires, S2 transaxle with Quaife differential, adjustable front Koni coilovers, Ground Control camber plates, Weltmeister adjustable front swaybar, 968 caster blocks, 928 S4 front brakes, brake vents, 928 S4 bias valve, harness bar, Deist 6 point harness, 17" Fikse wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires, LR 2 piece X-over pipe, LR 3 piece subframe, Weltmeister strut brace, Fabspeed 3" exhaust w/ Flowmaster muffler = LOUD!
Old 01-29-2008, 11:08 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

DOT seats are to be used with DOT belts. Race seats are to be used with race harnesses. Please don't try and mix the two. Buy the correct seat, or just use your DOT belt, which is quite safe.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:43 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

I'm sort of in the same boat, I've got a strong track sorted TS but stock seats. I've got a redline bar and four point belts, and the PCA says this year I need new seats to keep playing. I think we need to bite the bullet and spend some $$ on seats. Look at your other mods, it is due. Those stock seats weigh a ton, and new ones will hold us in place much better, and be safe. Indeed it is not easy to test and fit, but a good day walking around the paddock at any given track day will show you dozens of seat brands. If they look like something you could use, don't hesitate to ASK the owner if you can test his seat fit. Knowing my lap times and speeds, going back to stock belts just is not an option for me. We've both got 10K+ in mods, time to spend 1/10th of that on some up to date safety gear.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:45 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

PCA regulations require any seats w/ passthroughs to be made for the belts from the factory. I could not allow your pass modified seats through inspection.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:50 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=944Fest (aka Dan P);5044001]I'm in the same boatQUOTE]

Dan we have twin cars! If there is a 08 fest, I will bring it.

Sorry for the OT

ps - yes get the right seats!!
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2008, 11:52 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
DOT seats are to be used with DOT belts. Race seats are to be used with race harnesses. Please don't try and mix the two. Buy the correct seat, or just use your DOT belt, which is quite safe.
Agreed! There are rules for this for a reason.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:38 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

[QUOTE=evil 944t;5044032]
Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
I'm in the same boatQUOTE]

Dan we have twin cars! If there is a 08 fest, I will bring it.

Sorry for the OT

ps - yes get the right seats!!
Tint and all! Nice! You sure don't see too many our color. What color interior? Mine is Linen.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:46 AM
Phil R
Instructor

yes this all makes sense from a safety point of view. to be honest i would never have dreamed of modifying a stock seat but this guy at a local 944 meet was convinced that a kit existed for the purpose of modifying the stock seats in a 944 for use with a harness. it seemed far fetched to me at the time but I'm very new to the Porsche world so I thought I would ask. sounds like I need new seats.

this is somewhat of a tipping point. on one hand the car is fine for the street right now but if i go race seat I wont be driving it on the street. its hard to justify spending all the money on a new sport seat that offers minimal improvement in terms of support. konig(sp) made an awesome seat a few years ago that was adjustable back race bucket style seat but i've not seen it in years.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:47 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=944Fest (aka Dan P);5044376]
Originally Posted by evil 944t

Tint and all! Nice! You sure don't see too many our color. What color interior? Mine is Linen.
Dark blue upper and linen bottom.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:57 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

http://www.lindseyracing.com/mm5/mer...Code=JJSALAMON
Old 01-31-2008, 12:33 AM
jacksonrw
Three Wheelin'

i had dinner with a buddy who wanted to do the same thing last night
i told him to sell the ones he had and buy 1 one piece race seat
Old 01-31-2008, 12:56 AM
2bridges
Drifting

so long as you get proper harnesses (With cross tie) they are safe for use with factory type seats.

Should note however much of the safety of a race seat comes from the fixed back design in addition to harness accommodations

________________________________________________________________________ _______

PS - that "harness bar" in the pic does not look mounted as any harness recomendation I have ever seen .. WAAAAAAAY to high. Harness poit should be much lower on seat back

Quick Reply: 944 seat modification for harnesses?