danny951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sick
Old 01-02-2008, 10:20 AM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Is this still for sale?? It has been on the market for ages. There must be something wrong otherwise it would have been snapped up by now
Old 01-04-2008, 12:59 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

If it sounds to good to be true...
Old 01-04-2008, 01:03 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

This has been around for a while and has appeared in these pages too. Price has dropped over time as well. Think that they're trying to present it as having pedigree and maybe it does but not enough to make people shell out $45k. Plus you'd have to make changes to it to race it in the new series that would cost more. Still, it is tempting for many parts none the least being the 'box.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Acetylene
Pro

If were going to spend 45k on a race car, I don't think that would be it. It is very nice however.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:19 PM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Yep, you guys have it right. This is a very nice race car and it did begin life as one of the Al Holbert IMSA racers...BUT it appears that the car has been heavily modified since those days. It seems more a Kelly Moss car than a Holbert car.

Truth be told, few race cars sell for the sum of their parts and (given this car's long history on the sales block) it's clear that the provenance of the original title is not enough to recover the cost of Kelly Moss's more recent work. I don't watch race car sales super closely, but the only non-uber-rare Porsche race cars that seem to be pulling top dollar are recent Grand Am/Rolex and Euro Turbo Cup examples.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

I did check into this car a while back. I though it was priced ok if it had good race history. After checking into the history, it has none that would make it worth 45K in my opinion. From what I was able to find it was never raced under Al Holbert or in the turbo cup series, he just imported it for someone else. It was then cut up to where it is today which is not a bad thing if that is what you are looking for just don't pay more thinking you are getting a car with great race history which is what I was looking for.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:45 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

What series could you race it in? With the rule changes you guys have now, I would think that it needs some major $ mods, unless there's some sort of vintage class or just open to anything class?
Old 01-04-2008, 07:11 PM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow...I feel stupid. But I like building mine....MY WAY...even if there way is better.

I bet that would a riot to drive though, under 2200lbs.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

I don't recall the exact numbers on the car but it would be classed liter out put/weight. I think it would run in GT2. The other draw back I saw was the Hewland gear box. I was talking with a guy I work with who raced years ago and is familiar with the gear box. He said hey work well but need parts on a regular basis and the parts are extremely expensive. According to him 30 to 40K for a gear box is not uncommon.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:32 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Landjet
I don't recall the exact numbers on the car but it would be classed liter out put/weight. I think it would run in GT2. The other draw back I saw was the Hewland gear box. I was talking with a guy I work with who raced years ago and is familiar with the gear box. He said hey work well but need parts on a regular basis and the parts are extremely expensive. According to him 30 to 40K for a gear box is not uncommon.
Ha, probably why these guys are trying to get out of this car. Couldn't afford the upkeep on the 'box! Scary...
Old 01-05-2008, 07:00 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Harley Cluxton and Alain DeCadenet literally invented the idea of a collectible "vintage race car", with the two of them personally owning many examples of 60's and 70's FIA endurance cars. Until they came along and introduced the idea of preservation, collecting and competing in cars with "provenance" these were all just old race cars.

Although the white 7 is mighty strong example of a track developed water cooler, it lacks the value added component of having been driven by Holbert or Bundy, etc...or winning and/or placing in the series for which it was imported to participate.

At $15-20K it would probably have buyers, if only for spirited DE. In fact at $15K I might have to have a soul searching talk with my retirement fund manager
Old 01-05-2008, 07:18 AM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheRealLefty
Harley Cluxton and Alain DeCadenet literally invented the idea of a collectible "vintage race car", with the two of them personally owning many examples of 60's and 70's FIA endurance cars. Until they came along and introduced the idea of preservation, collecting and competing in cars with "provenance" these were all just old race cars.

Although the white 7 is mighty strong example of a track developed water cooler, it lacks the value added component of having been driven by Holbert or Bundy, etc...or winning and/or placing in the series for which it was imported to participate.

At $15-20K it would probably have buyers, if only for spirited DE. In fact at $15K I might have to have a soul searching talk with my retirement fund manager

No you are well off the mark John Bamford of JCB digger fame and Colin Black were collecting historic race cars whilst Alain de Cadenet was still racing competqatively. Totally off Topic but a pal of mine went out with Alain's daughter Amanda back in the 80's she was quite a sort!!
Old 01-05-2008, 07:30 AM
HansB
Pro

The problem with cars like this is, that if you seriously race them, the running cost per year is at least something like the advertised price.
And for that kind of money, there are many other options.
And, if you do not seriously race them, why own them?

Quick Reply: Have you seen this? Not worth building a race car yourselfe