Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Another more recent race Video. Repost but with more info.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:57 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
You must have super freaking bionics ears to hear the pinging, because I can't hear anything.
I watched it again and I can hear what sounds to be "pfft...pffft..pfttt......" everytime he gets into high boost on the straights. It's not the typical ball bearings in a rattle can sound that I usually equate with pinging. I'm not sure exactly what it is but it's no doubt related to when he is under boost as that is the only time I hear it.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:00 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

No that's his blow off valve. I am talking about the 'ball bearings in the can' sound. I can hear it clear as day. Not sure why some others can't? If it isn't pinging then I don't know what it is?
Old 03-30-2008, 05:07 AM
Mikes3.0cabturbo
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I cant hear pinging, can hear stones or something like that up against the guards maybe....
Old 03-30-2008, 05:09 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I justed watched the clip again, this time with a nice pair of headphones instead of crappy laptop speakers on low volume. Oh yes that sounds like heavy pinging!!
There's a lot of other mechanical noises due to the nature of the car, but the rattlecan noise is only present at wot and at, or above, 1.3 bar of boost. Takes a fraction before the noise starts which also points to detonation. Ouch!
Old 03-30-2008, 07:05 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

That's what I've been saying all along. I've asked Richard the owner/builder/driver and he's either not hearing it or not giving the game away. I can't see it being anything else. As Duke says, it's at wot, and under load. Clear as day. I'll bring it up with him again and see what he says. That was many months ago when I contacted him, although coincidentally I've had some emails with him just lately. They're putting a new engine in that should have bigger hp and better reliability. Thing that I like is the series that allows you to run against GT3's or in his Yellow car in the other clip against BM's and other cars. We don't have anything like that here. Not sure what I'll do once I have a track rat known as
"SUPERTHUNDERSTINGCAR"!!!! ....er that's a joke based on some old Peter Cook and Dudley Moore sendup of the 'Thunderbirds'....I'm probably the only person who knows what I'm talking about huh?? lol
sad really...
Old 03-30-2008, 12:07 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So at least a few of us here are in agreement that the car is pinging like crazy!!! It is pretty surprising that someone can build such a vehicle and not realize this. Oh well, sorry 333pg333 I did not notice that you mentioned this earlier as I did not notice anyone else discussing it. I must say though I am still young in this business but I have not seen many engines take such abuse as well as the 2.5l turbo despite what many others believe.

Quick Reply: Another more recent race Video. Repost but with more info.