Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 best do it yourself fast street/track car ever?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 02:22 PM
S2cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Could be the one I'm thinking of??
Al Walker?
Old 12-25-2007, 02:31 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I have a VERY nice and well sorted 951. Cory, you've ridden in it. A Z06, imo, is a better bang for the buck over what I have into my personal car and I'd be hard pressed to find any 951 that wasn't significantly massaged and invested in before it would compete with a stock Z06. Mine will hold its own against one but I've put three years into getting it there.

Would I trade? Nah, probably not, as I *like* my Porsches but thats just personal preference talking. I've driven a number of Z06's, including on a track and its very hard to come up with better package. It does everything well from the factory.

Regards,
Old 12-25-2007, 02:39 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
Come to think of it, has anyone gotten loco HP from the Honda??
Like over 800 RWHP?????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQO4K_DOtzU
close.. 771rwhp !
Old 12-25-2007, 03:35 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lart951
the 928 make the best street/track car. also the styling reminds me of a gay discotech i frequented in the early '80s. thats why i sell my 951 for 928. Luis
Well said.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sh944
I have a VERY nice and well sorted 951. Cory, you've ridden in it. A Z06, imo, is a better bang for the buck over what I have into my personal car and I'd be hard pressed to find any 951 that wasn't significantly massaged and invested in before it would compete with a stock Z06. Mine will hold its own against one but I've put three years into getting it there.

Would I trade? Nah, probably not, as I *like* my Porsches but thats just personal preference talking. I've driven a number of Z06's, including on a track and its very hard to come up with better package. It does everything well from the factory.

Regards,
I completely agree with Scott. The Z06 do not have as much of a visceral feel as a street/track 951 IMHO, but they are crazy fast and handle very well. Bang for the buck the Z06 wins, but it all comes down to personal taste. I like the 951 line which is why I choose to dump money into making one into a racecar. However if I was looking for maximum performance with the bet net present value I would go with th Z06. I have driven a street track 951 on the street and track for the past 8 years, have driven several C5 Z06 in various states of tune on the street and track and chased around Z06s on the track for years. One of the only stock track cars (with R comps), I could not keep up with on the track if it was being driven by a competent driver. I had a nicely set-up suspension and chipped car with a stock turbo.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:14 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On the street, I give the Z06 a head start. Even with my 52lb injectors, 2 1/2 inch exhaust, stock intercooler, and a kkk 29.

However, I get autoweek every week. The new ZR1 is coming out. 600 hp screamer. That will run neck and neck with me. I may actually take it based on me being lighter. But that car is no joke. Lots of carbon fiber. Roof, pillars, and brakes. Did you know uv light breaks down cf? GM purchased uv blocking clear coat to infuse with the carbon fiber resin at $60,000 a gallon! It's gonna be a hell of a car. I don't want to think of what a few simple upgrades are gonna do to it. Oh, it's also $100,000....and I'll still run with it.

If I did it all over again, I could buy a trashed 951 with a good body for $3,000 give or take. I could then build a 650-700whp car in show like condition for about $60,000. That's only because of all of you guys on these boards though. We keep pushing and pushing the envelope on these things. We all keep learning a lot. I think it's great. It's just too damn expensive if you don't know how to wrench yourself. Don't know what to do. Upgrade or get out and go with something else. I just don't know.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:25 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flosho
z06>951

srt4 - great bang for the buck. There are more 400+ whp neons running around with warrenties and less than half of what people have into their 951 motor. They also handle great, especially when they are set up properly

GSX/TSI - reliability concerns, however great handling cars and can make plenty of power, for much less money than a 951.

240sx - motor swap and 600 hp for $4-5,000 and great suspension options.

All three of those cars would walk away from *most* street driven 951s and would be drivers matches in the twisties.
1 A Stock Srt 4 is garbage in comparison to a 951, a modded srt -4 will not see off a modded 951 and being a front driver makes it one for the *******...

2. mitsu GSX, LOL, don't mention gsx and a track in the same sentence ,power potential , but horrible reliability , brakes, handling , transmission , weight , electrical , ohh , did i mention they are just plain horrible ...

3. 240 sx, this one is interesting , OK but comparing one with a motor swap , would you be willing to compare it to a 951 with a 427 ... In it's original 240sx config, they have poor brakes and chassis balance compared to a 951 , with an sr20 or an rb 26 swap, you have upped the power anti, but with the rb26 you will have too much front end weight bias, while with the sr20 , power is the same as a modded 951 , with less T/Q. Of the 3 cars you have listed it would be my choice , but it still would be no match for a 951 ...
Old 12-25-2007, 05:33 PM
George D
Drifting

There are few things as much fun as being a surprise. The guy with the new 600hp Vette completely expects to spank you. I've been giggled at in my old 4 banger, only to show them the rear of my car.

I agree that the Z06 cars are the best money spent on a street/track car. Drive one. It's fun. I like them but just can't seem to want to own one again. Didn't like the car all that well.

For me to really have fun, I've got to be somewhat of a surprise. A well sorted 951 is just my favorite sports car. I would save much money doing this with a Z06 and a simple blower, but the fun just isn't there for me.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:45 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
On the street, I give the Z06 a head start. Even with my 52lb injectors, 2 1/2 inch exhaust, stock intercooler, and a kkk 29.

However, I get autoweek every week. The new ZR1 is coming out. 600 hp screamer. That will run neck and neck with me. I may actually take it based on me being lighter. But that car is no joke. Lots of carbon fiber. Roof, pillars, and brakes. Did you know uv light breaks down cf? GM purchased uv blocking clear coat to infuse with the carbon fiber resin at $60,000 a gallon! It's gonna be a hell of a car. I don't want to think of what a few simple upgrades are gonna do to it. Oh, it's also $100,000....and I'll still run with it.

If I did it all over again, I could buy a trashed 951 with a good body for $3,000 give or take. I could then build a 650-700whp car in show like condition for about $60,000. That's only because of all of you guys on these boards though. We keep pushing and pushing the envelope on these things. We all keep learning a lot. I think it's great. It's just too damn expensive if you don't know how to wrench yourself. Don't know what to do. Upgrade or get out and go with something else. I just don't know.
I can say with confidence you are giving no headstart to a C6 ZO6...............
Old 12-25-2007, 08:13 PM
flosho
Pro

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
1 A Stock Srt 4 is garbage in comparison to a 951, a modded srt -4 will not see off a modded 951 and being a front driver makes it one for the *******...

2. mitsu GSX, LOL, don't mention gsx and a track in the same sentence ,power potential , but horrible reliability , brakes, handling , transmission , weight , electrical , ohh , did i mention they are just plain horrible ...

3. 240 sx, this one is interesting , OK but comparing one with a motor swap , would you be willing to compare it to a 951 with a 427 ... In it's original 240sx config, they have poor brakes and chassis balance compared to a 951 , with an sr20 or an rb 26 swap, you have upped the power anti, but with the rb26 you will have too much front end weight bias, while with the sr20 , power is the same as a modded 951 , with less T/Q. Of the 3 cars you have listed it would be my choice , but it still would be no match for a 951 ...

I understand where you're coming from, but all three of those cars could dip into the mid 12's with half as much money stuck into them then what it would take a 951 to get to the same ET.

I've personally seen some incredible GSXs run 10-15 times in one night and drive home fine. If it came down to it, 951 vs GSX or an SRT, my money wouldn't be on the 951. An SRT with about $2000 into the motor would walk away from a 951 with $4000 into the motor.

Looking at tranny/brakes/suspension. Same thing, the aftermarkets are so big for these cars that brake upgrades, coilovers, etc are all cheaper to purchase then the $2500 for a coilover system on the 951.

Some people severely under estimate the handling characteristics of the srt-4. I'd venture to guess that much of the handling deficiencies of an SRT is because of the driver.

We're talking bang for the buck DIY STREET cars... the GSX/240sx(even with the stock ka) will make more power, and handle comparably for less money.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:15 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

I understand where you're coming from, but all three of those cars could dip into the mid 12's with half as much money stuck into them then what it would take a 951 to get to the same ET.

I've personally seen some incredible GSXs run 10-15 times in one night and drive home fine. If it came down to it, 951 vs GSX or an SRT, my money wouldn't be on the 951. An SRT with about $2000 into the motor would walk away from a 951 with $4000 into the motor.

Looking at tranny/brakes/suspension. Same thing, the aftermarkets are so big for these cars that brake upgrades, coilovers, etc are all cheaper to purchase then the $2500 for a coilover system on the 951.

Some people severely under estimate the handling characteristics of the srt-4. I'd venture to guess that much of the handling deficiencies of an SRT is because of the driver.

We're talking bang for the buck DIY STREET cars... the GSX/240sx(even with the stock ka) will make more power, and handle comparably for less money.

Flasho, by track we mean left and right corners not 1/4 mile
Old 12-25-2007, 08:27 PM
flosho
Pro

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Flasho, by track we mean left and right corners not 1/4 mile

Also talking about street cars.

I still think those 3 cars can be made very competitive against the 951 for less money on a road course or an autocross.

Sure there are weak spots, maybe the brakes or softer suspension, but its not a Porsche to begin with, but it also doesnt cost as much to stiffen them up and slow em down.

However, I do think the 951s LOOK better, and its really no comparision between them.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:59 AM
S2cab
Instructor

An SRT with about $2000 into the motor would walk away from a 951 with $4000 into the motor.

The SRT is severly overated. It is a POS with a turbo engine. They are slower than a stock MKIV R32. Dumping $2k in to them will not make them faster than $4k in a 951. The SRT has 60% + over the front wheels, with a crude suspension, it doesn't handle well, but what do you expect for the price range it's in? You can buy cheap coilover kits for Japanese imports, but you're comparing apples to coconuts. There's some real garbage out there because who's buying a $600 set of coil-overs? An 18 year old kid who doesn't know any better. There are some very good suspensions made for Nissan, but $2500-3000 for a car that's worth that much? Back when I had the Nx2000 I wouldn't spend that kind of money on the suspension, even though stock it was considered the best handling FWD car of its time. Everything was expensive for that car. Honda is different because there's a bunch of kids out there that are taken advantage of everyday. There's a 1000 vendors for them, but only 10 with products that work.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:36 AM
George D
Drifting

I can say with confidence you are giving no headstart to a C6 ZO6...............That's ok Pole, but you really should drive a 450+ WHP 951. The new Z06 is quite the car, but don't be too confident running with a well sorted 3.0 951.
Attached Images  
Old 12-26-2007, 10:41 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo

Pound for pound, the 1970 LS6 Chevelle was the fastest muscle car of its day. There were faster muscle cars no doubt, but pound for pound...there wasn't one better.

The Shelby or The Boss any were from 67 to 70 you pick can bet a 1970 ls6 Chevelle any day on and or off the track

Quick Reply: 951 best do it yourself fast street/track car ever?