Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive
View Poll Results: If you were going to do a 944 3.0L turbo, who would you have do it???
Lindsey Racing
24.59%
Powerhaus
1.64%
SFR
6.56%
944 Ehancement
22.95%
John Milledge
26.23%
John Mitchell (England/Crate Motor)
3.28%
Under Pressure Performance (Area 951?)
14.75%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

3.0L Turbo project

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 12:03 AM
chrisconstantin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.0L Turbo project

Hey Everyone,

A little new here. Been looking for a while. I used the search function and found that there are a couple of 3.0L turbo guys here. Also, I found that some are even bigger. I am thinking of doing a project like this, I have been shopping the work. I know that there are several people that perform this work. I have looked at Powerhaus, a couple of other smaller shops and now am thinking Lindsey Racing for a turnkey project. Any ideas, tips or things I should know going in? Have I found the right shop to perform this makeover? Is there anyone else I should consider? I have a '87 951 w/ 60k miles on it. I tried to search for all the pitfalls and read the thread on someone in the UK's 3.1L project on a 968. Any help would be appreciated.

Best,

Chris Constantin
Old 11-23-2007, 01:10 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Tip 1. Pay the small joining fee and people can send you PM's. Private messages.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Diver944
Pro

I have the first of three UK 3.2L 951's and it was built by the same guy who put together the engine for the 968T that I think you're referring to (the owner is on Rennlist too so may chime in) . Ask away and I'll gladly help but I'm no mechanic, I paid these guys to do all the work www.9xx.co.uk

They are now offering the 3.2L as a crate engine but the current exchange rate will really screw you at the moment and I reckon it will work out over $20,000 US
Old 11-23-2007, 02:14 PM
StyleLab
Burning Brakes

let me know if you need parts. I have a 3l block and crank as well as the 2.7 liter head if you want to go the 8 valve route.

-Nick
Old 11-23-2007, 02:50 PM
chrisconstantin
Advanced

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Tip 1. Pay the small joining fee and people can send you PM's. Private messages.
I was wondering why I could not send PM's, I actually tried to send you one. I will go and pay the money, did not know it was required.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:51 PM
chrisconstantin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Diver944
I have the first of three UK 3.2L 951's and it was built by the same guy who put together the engine for the 968T that I think you're referring to (the owner is on Rennlist too so may chime in) . Ask away and I'll gladly help but I'm no mechanic, I paid these guys to do all the work www.9xx.co.uk

They are now offering the 3.2L as a crate engine but the current exchange rate will really screw you at the moment and I reckon it will work out over $20,000 US
When you say a "crate engine" what does that include? I am getting quoted in the 20k range to do the whole turnkey operation, just trying to find out what the best option is.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:59 PM
chrisconstantin
Advanced

And I would not mind hearing what people think about the 8V head versus the 16V head. There seems to be players on both sides on that one. Not sure of the benefits. Seems you should do the 16V head if you want to run high RPM on the track. Is that the case?
Old 11-23-2007, 04:20 PM
gasman123
Intermediate

Call Motorwerks Racing in Cumming, GA. Matthew is a 951 genius. I have no affiliation, only a happy customer. He can build you anything you desire.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you're going to do a crate engine or drop the car off, Lindsey Racing is free of customer cars at the moment and they have plenty of 3.0L stuff lying around too.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:09 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My vote goes to Chris White but im biased because im hoping he reads this and gives me a discount....

Hint hint Chris
Old 11-23-2007, 06:21 PM
chrisconstantin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ski
if you're going to do a crate engine or drop the car off, Lindsey Racing is free of customer cars at the moment and they have plenty of 3.0L stuff lying around too.
I have been communicating with Mike Lindsey as of late. I did contact Tim from SFR today. He had an interesting response to my email, it made sense to me in that he deals with all the current stuff with 1400 whp Supras, Skylines etc... He has all the current technology and the ability to build things in house to complete jobs.

As for the guy in Cumming, I had not heard from him. The bicycle shop that I go to is in Cumming, I will have to look them up. Do you know where they are?

I went to the site for the 3.2L stuff from England and tried to figure out what you actually bought when you paid them for a crate motor. I am a little confused on that but am hoping the guy that posted will elaborate.

You know, it is interesting, I did a what I thought was a decent amount of web browsing before I posted this thread and now I feel like I did nothing at all. Wealth of information. I can't thank you guys enough for your input, it is not a small purchase and I want to make sure I am getting most bang for the buck, best build and most reliability/performance possible.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:22 PM
chrisconstantin
Advanced

Originally Posted by theedge
My vote goes to Chris White but im biased because im hoping he reads this and gives me a discount....

Hint hint Chris
Who is Chris White, what shop does he own/work for? I thought I saw a Chris at the 944 Enhancement site. Is that him?
Old 11-23-2007, 06:28 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrisconstantin
Hey Everyone,

A little new here. Been looking for a while. I used the search function and found that there are a couple of 3.0L turbo guys here.
First of all, welcome to Rennlist and the 'potential' 3.0L club! Anyway here are some of my thoughts for you, as I have now been down this road twice as a lot of people know. I would heavily invest in doing hours of research on Rennlist, as there are a lot of excellent threads to increase your knowledge on this topic. If you are truly looking for a turn-key type of company, there are several ones that you could look into. I would then approach a few of them and discuss your various goals, budget, time frames, etc. Then get a few quotes from them and discuss in great detail the scope of the project with each vendor. As for me, I have worked with both Lindsey Racing and 944 Enhancement. So I can only comment on their work and not any other vendor. If you have any questions I can answer for you, feel free to PM anytime. Regardless of who you go with, do "extensive" research and take your time. And remember, that projects of this nature can take a while, have unforseen issues, and can easily go over-budget.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:32 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisconstantin
Who is Chris White, what shop does he own/work for? I thought I saw a Chris at the 944 Enhancement site. Is that him?
Yes thats his company. Great guy to deal with, answered a million+1 questions from me before I sent him my engine. Hes building a MID sleeved 2.7 liter for me with oil squiters, Wossner pistons, coated bearings and such.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You don't have the option "Build it yourself" in your poll.

Quick Reply: 3.0L Turbo project