Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Who is getting good power with a stock airbox? (300+ WHP/TQ)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 02:10 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who is getting good power with a stock airbox? (300+ WHP/TQ)

And what are you using to get it? (AFM, MAF, MAP, what turbo, engine management, etc.) And did you do any airflow or dyno testing with the stock airbox vs. cone filter? Dyno charts would be great. TIA
Old 11-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm shooting for that with a K27/6... just 20 HP away right now with the stock K26/8. I'm at 279.5 HP, and 344 ft-lbs with a Lindsey Stage II intercooler, Tial waste gate, Blitz SBC-ID boost controller, vitesse chips and a 3.0 BAR fuel pressure reg.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:54 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I have 263 at the wheels in my turbo S with Russell's "booster" chip. Everything else is stock, except for a custom, open exhaust.

In the chart below (which, unfortunatley is a dyno shoot-out chart, so it doesn't have a very large range) the blue line is the stock DME chip and the red line is Russell's.
Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2007, 01:23 AM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 340 hp to the rear wheels. T04e ball bearing. Ford MAF with Arc II piggyback (antique system). Custom 3" J tube to Stock airbox (stealth setup). K&N air filter. Lindsey stage II intercooler. Tial wastegate. High flow Cat and Muffler.

I opened up the MAF side of the stock air box to 3". Fabricated a custom 3" steel J tube and air box adapter. I am working on fabricating a 3" snorkel to replace the stock 2 1/2" snorkel. Have not decided if it will be fiberglass or carbon fiber. The fender opening for the snorkel is 3". My goal is to have the set up look completely stock, but will be 3" from start to finish. Anyone have a spare airbox that I can use for a mold?

Last edited by Bill; 11-22-2007 at 01:43 AM.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:46 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
I'm shooting for that with a K27/6... just 20 HP away right now with the stock K26/8. I'm at 279.5 HP, and 344 ft-lbs with a Lindsey Stage II intercooler, Tial waste gate, Blitz SBC-ID boost controller, vitesse chips and a 3.0 BAR fuel pressure reg.
What kind of dyno is that on? Just wondering, because you are making me feel inferior. 344 ftlbs! nice.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:51 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorax
What kind of dyno is that on? Just wondering, because you are making me feel inferior. 344 ftlbs! nice.
that was on a Dynojet at Mac Autosport in Parker, Colorado.

www.macautosport.com

There are witnesses on Rennlist too... so ya'll know I'm not fudging the numbers...

RogueAnt
Capt. Koolbeanz
Troppo
Blown 944

they all witnessed it...

Oh yeah! 17 PSI was what I was boosting...
Old 11-22-2007, 04:48 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the replies guys.

www.macautosport.com

There are witnesses on Rennlist too... so ya'll know I'm not fudging the numbers...

RogueAnt
Capt. Koolbeanz
Troppo
Blown 944

they all witnessed it...

Geoff that is great torque for 17 PSI. Did you ever dyno before the Lindsey IC, or could you feel the difference when you put it in? If it makes that much of a difference I might have to consider that. I also have a 27/6 that I will be putting in. My plan is to get as much as I can with the stock airbox and 26/8, take it to the dyno, then install the 27/6 and take it to the same dyno again to see the real difference in spool-up and power.

Originally Posted by Bill
I have 340 hp to the rear wheels. T04e ball bearing. Ford MAF with Arc II piggyback (antique system). Custom 3" J tube to Stock airbox (stealth setup). K&N air filter. Lindsey stage II intercooler. Tial wastegate. High flow Cat and Muffler.

I opened up the MAF side of the stock air box to 3". Fabricated a custom 3" steel J tube and air box adapter. I am working on fabricating a 3" snorkel to replace the stock 2 1/2" snorkel. Have not decided if it will be fiberglass or carbon fiber. The fender opening for the snorkel is 3". My goal is to have the set up look completely stock, but will be 3" from start to finish. Anyone have a spare airbox that I can use for a mold?
Bill, what boost do you run to get 340 HP? I am also working on a snorkle, but my approach is a little different. I'm going to insert a 3" aluminum tube all the way through and hopefully it won't be visible. How much of a difference did you notice with the Lindsey IC?
Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2007, 05:05 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting 280 hp and like 293 of tq to the wheels with a afm and k26/6 turbo
Old 11-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

the seat of the pants dyno thinks that there was a gain after the lindsey IC. what that gain is, I have no clue.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:53 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I have about 350 HP right now with equal torque but this is on a 3.0 liter 8 Valve running a super 61 at 10 PSI! The airbox is stock but the NACA vent in my hood feeds air right into the airbox via a special insert replacing the snorkel. Alsoo the J-boot is cut back 3 ribs and fitted to a insert that then has a 3" silicone hose attaching it to the turbo inlet. Stock Barn door right now but eventually when I start getting into my 16 PSI realm of power I will eliminate the AFM with a simple pipe and temp sensor along with a MAP piggyback located in the passenger footwell. Because this turbo at anything over 12 PSI puts so much air into my engine that it takes the barn door over its range of capacity. So hopefully this spring I will have 400 HP rear wheel dyno results. Amd man does this power come on like a freight train at about 3500 RPM'S

Happy Turkey Day everyone, you too Bill!
Old 11-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

I know you wouldn't fudge those numbers...

But crap!! I need to get on the ball. I made 300/323 last time at 18psi. I hope that fixing my leaky turbo will help those numbers ALLOT.

www.macautosport.com

RogueAnt
Capt. Koolbeanz
Troppo
Blown 944

they all witnessed it...

Old 11-22-2007, 08:37 PM
Buckaroo Banzi
Racer

Default i have one...

Originally Posted by Bill

I have an old beat up one you can have..
let me know where to send it.

-BB

Quick Reply: Who is getting good power with a stock airbox? (300+ WHP/TQ)