Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How to Fix leaky injectors!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 11:57 PM
Loquat15
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Fix leaky injectors!!!

My 86 951 for the longest time had a gas odor to it... well... turned out to be the fuel injector seals where they sit in the intake manifold.

After replacing the seals 4 times... i decided to double up on the lower injector seals....

I removed the plastic spacer, installed two o-rings, installed the hat and voila!

NO MORE LEAKS!

Car see's a max of 16psi, no fuel smell ever.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd just recommend sending em to get rebuilt by www.witchhunter.com, or replace em if they're REALLY bad... but something just tells me that putting more on an injector than it was designed for could be a fiery error...
Old 11-21-2007, 12:22 AM
Loquat15
Racer

What would the point of having them sent to witch hunter be? You send them in, you get them back... the dimentions of the injectors have not changed...

you put them in, what do you do if they leak from the injector-to-intake seal? keep replacing seals in hopes of them not leaking? thats basically what my issue was.

Trial and error...

I tried how they were supposed to go and it just would leak.
I tried using double o-rings on the bottom seal and it no longer leaks.

I'm not an Bosche or Porsche engineer, or any engineer... but i have a huge ammount of faith in my seals now. If it aint broke, dont fix it... it was broke, i fixed it.

It's not like i packed it full of RTV :-P
Old 11-21-2007, 12:27 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Oh, I'm not saying what you're doing is right or wrong... not at all.. I was just throwing my $0.02 in the pond, and if I had to do that, I'd either replace the offending injector or have it professionally rebuilt.

My question for you, what caused the injector (or intake manifold) to change shape requiring a double O-ring? is it possible the injector is cracked near the cap? not only does Witch hunter rebuild em, but they inspect em to make sure they won't be a problem...
Old 11-21-2007, 12:53 AM
bscpanther
Racer

I've noticed the injectors just don't sit right sometimes so the o rings wont seal like they should. I don't think it makes much of a difference but I would be curious as to why a double o ring is working instead of the original setup. You have to be careful with the reseal kits too... I've bought several and I swear they all come with different size parts... finally I took them in too the professionals and they fitted them perfectly and cleaned and flow matched em. Just another option.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:03 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

its awful that this is necessary and effective , i gues the other option is to try to get a fatter oring from the engineering supply store
Old 11-21-2007, 01:38 AM
Loquat15
Racer

Porschephile... from what you're saying it's equivilent to "My oil pan gasket is leaking, i'm going to replace the engine."

My injector seals were leaking, the injectors themselves were not leaking.

I did notice that the front injectors seat a tad higher than the rear, but i've noticed this on more than one 951...

2 o-rings works just fine.

No hardware stores around here have o-rings in the size that i'd need.... i checked... besides, they most likely arent fuel resistant. Engineering supply? Not sure where i'd go for that one :-/

But it works perfectly. Origional way does not work for me unfortunately...

This is simply an option for someone who is experiance what i've experianced the past year.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:40 AM
Loquat15
Racer

I dont doubt which hunters abilities, its just the seal that is leaking, the injectors are not cracked or are wrong in any manner. I'm pretty sure the car has had this leak from day 1 of owning it. I fixed it a few months ago now...

oh well, this works!
Old 11-21-2007, 01:43 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

cool. good work!
Old 11-21-2007, 01:54 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think he was simply trying to convoy that its better safe-then-sorry when messing with fuel system... Not a place to skimp on. 951s burn down pretty regularly.

Rogue
Old 11-21-2007, 09:11 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i wonder if the fuel rail has issues- like the arm that bolts it down is longer on one end or is bent slightly making them not fit right. Mine fit evenly all the way across and actually sit down in the holes about 1/8"- i understand what you did though the double seals should be ok - did the hat go on all the way? i know ive replaced seals before and the hat snaps on pretty easy, but the seal is still loose behind it- i took a 10mm socket, put it on the hat and pushed harder and it went one more click tighter and the seal fit tightly after that.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Loquat15
Racer

Originally Posted by xsboost90
i understand what you did though the double seals should be ok - did the hat go on all the way?
Yes, the hats went on all the way :-)

Im not sure why the rail doesnt appear to seat the injectors uniformly, rear end is lower, front end higher.

Im just happy that it's sealing now and i dont smell any fumes!!!

The double o-rings are one way to go, i tried finding a fatter o-ring but failed so this was the alternative.

Quick Reply: How to Fix leaky injectors!!!