Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

exhaust flow with shimmed wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 07:33 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default exhaust flow with shimmed wastegate

I know when you shim the wastegate, the idea is to have more pressure needed to open the wastegate.
But ,it seems to me the wastegate valve will also open less off its seat by the amount equal to thickness of the shims. Am I seein' this right? Wouldn't that hinder exhaust flow through the wastegate, possibly causing boost creep?

Isn't there some sort of formula around that states that a valve will continue to flow more with more lift, with diminishing returns, up to a certain point?
Old 11-07-2007, 03:49 AM
76 911s
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right, thats why you are only supposed to put in a shim or two. With a stock K26 on my car and one shim, I didn't have problems with boost creep. I think the shim idea is fine for the stock turbo, but wouldn't do it for a larger one that flows more.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:58 AM
special tool
Banned

You are not going to get boost creep from that valve - its large.

I use a Tial 38 and I am JUUUUUST starting to come up a tiny bit at 6-7000 RPM using a real 780 HP turbocharger (with an exhaust configuration that will actually support it also).
And I believe, that the factory 951 valve is slightly larger than the Tial.
So you shouldn't have to worry about boost creep with a 300 hp turbo.
And when I say "shouldn't", I am being diplomatic - that wastegate will be big enough at 50 thousandths lift.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:08 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
that wastegate will be big enough at 50 thousandths lift. I know because I checked my blue prints
? 50 thou ? Where did you get that number? I'm not sure your qualified to answer this thread.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:43 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Well ST;
I probably have the same turbo as you and it's on a 3 liter, and I am getting boost creep.
So, update:
I took the wastegate off and did some research.
I think my wastegate is shimmed too much.
By the way, it's a 38 mm valve, just like the tial.
At fully open the lift is 8 mm; not enough.
I will reduce shims to produce a 11 mm lift, which is slightly more than the 25% of valve size.
If that doesn't work I'm looking into a larger wastegate.

By the way, the consenus is that when running high boost, one can get away with running a smallish wastegate, because more exhaust needs to go through the turbine, not the wastegate. But, I'm thinking: with higher boost comes also more exhaust mass (flow, energy, volume). So, even if more exhaust has to go through the turbine (to produce the boost in the first place), there is also more waste gases in the system.

Anybody know more about this?
Old 11-09-2007, 06:06 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
By the way, the consenus is that when running high boost, one can get away with running a smallish wastegate, because more exhaust needs to go through the turbine, not the wastegate. But, I'm thinking: with higher boost comes also more exhaust mass (flow, energy, volume). So, even if more exhaust has to go through the turbine (to produce the boost in the first place), there is also more waste gases in the system.

The theory, and my experience, is that the higher waste gases from higher boost is still less than the gases needed for the turbo.

Your case with a 3 liter turbo and low boost is the perfect example of a system that needs a larger wastegate.
I've seen boost creep and spikes on a 3l with Tial 38mm on low boost (sub 1.0 bar).
Old 11-09-2007, 06:44 AM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
Well ST;
I probably have the same turbo as you and it's on a 3 liter, and I am getting boost creep.
So, update:
I took the wastegate off and did some research.
I think my wastegate is shimmed too much.
By the way, it's a 38 mm valve, just like the tial.
At fully open the lift is 8 mm; not enough.
I will reduce shims to produce a 11 mm lift, which is slightly more than the 25% of valve size.
If that doesn't work I'm looking into a larger wastegate.

You have a full Garret T4 like I do?
If ,on the other hand, you have a hybrid turbo from one of the suppliers on this list, it is possible that you have creep.
Tell me which turbocharger you have, and I will tell you the problem.
I know about the concensus of small wastegate/large turbo on this list - I wrote it.

At any rate you must get rid of that terrible wastegate.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:32 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ST what housing are you running?
Old 11-09-2007, 01:48 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Duke;
thanks for your explanation.
I'm going to be running 1.2 - 1.3 bar, so we'll see.

ST;
John's stage five
terrible wastegate?
There's nothing wrong with a NEW stock wastegate. It seems like the issue, when it comes to boost creep, is the valve size. If I went with a new tial 38 or a new lindsey unit, I wouldn't be solving my problem.

Quick Reply: exhaust flow with shimmed wastegate