Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The most stupid thing you've done while working on your car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 12:45 AM
Todd157k
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after reading a few pages of this, I feel "less stupid" about breaking my windshield while putting on hood shocks. Heck, it was in terrible shape anyway.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:25 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reno808
you gotta tell what happened
To make a long story short, I got a little cocky and used an 1/8" Brad Point bit in a pinch on a very tight corner of a door panel. The angle of my arm in that corner (to get the bit flush) was pretty poor.

Alcohol skewed my ability to gauge how much pressure I was putting on the bit. The bit broke with a needle-like point on it and my bent arm directed it right through my thumb, through the door card, the door insulation, and through the door panel. It all happened within a split second and I looked at my thumb and thought

"Ha... that looks like the drill bit is through my thumb!"
*pulls back on drill*
"AHHH! THE DRILL BIT IS THROUGH MY F@#%ING THUMB!!"

So, I wiggled it all out, walked inside, and said to my former roomate (a former RLer as well), with a Craftsman cordless drill attached to my left thumb through a drill bit, "Hey bud, I have a slight problem..."

If I hadn't JUST run out of whiskey, I wouldn't have gone to the hospital, but since I didn't have any liquid novacaine substitute on hand, we went. I was out of there in under 30min. It actually never hurt, and didn't bleed until they pulled it out. As you can see in the picture, the bit going through so fast actually kept the pressure I had on the door panel with that thumb.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:00 AM
2bridges
Drifting

years back - stepped out in the garage to get somthing......
was in shorts, and just slipped on shoes closest to the door (happened to be cowboy boots)

Got destracted oogling a project car I was woking on at the time.
Decided I would quickie tack weld what i started the night before.

bet you can guess what next - red hot slag (molten metal) in the left boot - No more welding in shorts and cowboy boots for me
Old 11-05-2007, 11:06 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2bridges
years back - stepped out in the garage to get somthing......
was in shorts, and just slipped on shoes closest to the door (happened to be cowboy boots)

Got destracted oogling a project car I was woking on at the time.
Decided I would quickie tack weld what i started the night before.

bet you can guess what next - red hot slag (molten metal) in the left boot - No more welding in shorts and cowboy boots for me

That's funny....
I didn't feel nothing.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:53 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The most stupid thing i have done is to remove the fuel supply line at the fuel rail, right after i turned off the car. Got a nice burst of fuel in my eye, mouth and up my nose, i was really down and couldn't do a thing for a good 15 minutes till i was able to barely open my eye and wash my face.

Let me just say that when you are out of senses, you really just lay down on the ground and just try to breath...........
Old 11-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Ronin951
Instructor

Did this last night. I didn't realize the LR fuel rail is meant to stay on the intake. Unbolted it and pulled the rail like the factory one. Injectors stayed in the intake and fuel went everywhere. Apparently the injectors aren't clipped to the LR FR. What really pissed me off the most was that when I was unbolting it I said "this is weird, I though this FR didn't require removal".
Old 11-05-2007, 03:38 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey guys.....

There are now a few "missing posts". This thread is supposed to be something like "Stupid Owner Tricks" which we can chuckle over. I'm pretty sure it's NOT about "Silly things to post back about what we have done stupidly" which we cringe over....

Thanks...

Carry on....

John D.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:55 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

HAHA o man there are some good one's here....

For me....not listening and running my new Tial 38 w/ JETTED banjo bolt and LBE........blown HG almost instantaneously
Old 11-06-2007, 02:47 PM
myskyon
Intermediate

I too am one of thoses people who use the Whole engine bay as tool and parts storage areas while working on the car. that one night i was working on my car i was using my 2d mag light and i set it down next to my drivers side strut tower. then i finnished and collected all my tools and went to close the hood. and bam it didnt close......... i thought WTF!?!?! I looked around for more tools didnt find any thing ( i looked near the front thinking something was cought in the latch) then bam it didnt close then i looked up and say my mag light..... my hood still doesnt close properly.

I too have also done the oh i dont "need" to remove the engine pan while changing the oil... could have been a big mess but my oil catch pan is big.

just about 3 weeks ago i was going to change the oil in my wifes 06 wrx and i desided to let her drive up the ramps because she said she wanted to help..... well as she approched the top of the ramps i signaled for her to stop and she didnt she drove right off the ramps.. the car stoped dead in its tracks thanks to being high centered on the ramps as i was inches from the bumper. lesson learned wife doesnt get to drive any car onto ramps now.lol she was sooo pissed she even tried to blame me. lol
Old 11-06-2007, 03:07 PM
bscpanther
Racer

[QUOTE=myskyon; i desided to let her drive up the ramps because she said she wanted to help..... well as she approched the top of the ramps i signaled for her to stop and she didnt she drove right off the ramps.. the car stoped dead in its tracks thanks to being high centered on the ramps as i was inches from the bumper. lesson learned wife doesnt get to drive any car onto ramps now.lol she was sooo pissed she even tried to blame me. lol[/QUOTE]

I love it, man being married is the best.... we can do a whole thread on " the joys of having a 951 and a wife at the same time"
Old 11-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bscpanther
I love it, man being married is the best.... we can do a whole thread on " the joys of having a 951 and a wife at the same time"
Man don't get me started there...... it's never a good sign when the wife brings the car home and wonders why it sounded like the engine was "cracklin" when she was picking on an EVO......or when she says " I noticed there was water on the garage floor when I pulled out the other day"......
Old 11-06-2007, 05:41 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Man don't get me started there...... it's never a good sign when the wife brings the car home and wonders why it sounded like the engine was "cracklin" when she was picking on an EVO......or when she says " I noticed there was water on the garage floor when I pulled out the other day"......
Dude, I tried your new e-mail address, it isn't working.

Well, yesterday I tried to open my hood with the windshield wipers flipped up and chipped the paint on the edge of the hood- I guess that qualifies for a post here
Old 11-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

I have done allot of stupid things, 99% of them invloving spraypaint.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:36 PM
introuble
Advanced

I've been laughing at almost every post.

I tried to put a Fuel Pressure Guage on a stock fuel rail. I started the car and it leaked all over, luckly things werent to hot. I figured I would torque the adapter bolt and did it to tight so it broke right off leaving a hole at the end of the rail. Fuel shot out the end all over the place.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Todd157k
Burning Brakes

I got another one.. (just wasn't a p-car)

I was working on my 2 stroke jet ski. It wouldn't crank over. I took off the battery cable (see, I'm smart) and then took off the intake & carbs. The cylinders were full of fuel which spilled out into the hull of the ski. (known as hydrolock). ok, great, so it should turn over now..right?.. I grab the battery cable and "touched" it on the post to see if it turns over...SPARK SPARK SPARK.... ya, it turned over.

why it didn't explode and send me to the moon, I'll never know.

Quick Reply: The most stupid thing you've done while working on your car?