Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The most stupid thing you've done while working on your car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 06:57 PM
maximus951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulled the windshield wiper arm up to remove/replace the wiper blade - the blade was not completely seated in the hook and when I pulled it the wiper arm slipped free and in a spring-loaded split second, swung back down and cracked the windshield. Ouch...
Old 11-02-2007, 07:16 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have any of these stories for myself as my work is flawless, as most of you know. But I do remember....

From the manual:
M a i n B e a r i n g s No. 2 , 4 a n d 5
The bottom halves of the bearings are
designed without lubricating grooves. When
installing it is important, that bearing shells
w i t h lubricating grooves are placed in the
upper crankcase section and bearing shell
without lubricating grooves in the lower
crankcase section.

Attached Images    

Last edited by DDP; 11-03-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Dom1
Intermediate

I decided to change the trans fluid. I was not sure if I could get the bottle of new fluid high enough to have it pour in so i left the cap on the bottle stuck it in the fill hole and lifted up the bottle. It worked so I pulled out the bottle and off came the cap and into the tranny.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:20 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I just tried to drive my car down the street and didnt have the front lugs tight. they were loose...nice.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:39 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maximus951
Pulled the windshield wiper arm up to remove/replace the wiper blade - the blade was not completely seated in the hook and when I pulled it the wiper arm slipped free and in a spring-loaded split second, swung back down and cracked the windshield. Ouch...
My father did that same thing about a week after I bought the car. He thought he would be nice and replace the blades so I felt so bad for him.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:50 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

18 years old, first dumb thing, driving my 71 Audi 100 LS thru the sand and surf at the beach.

Second dumb thing followed shortly, I used my dad's torque wrench rebuilding above motor after it spun the crank bearings a couple of weeks after the trip to the beach. Found sand and salt in the oil pan. 250 miles after the rebuild it threw a rod thru the block where the fuel pump was mounted. Dial was worn on the torque wrench where it said inch-lbs instead of ft-lbs. Well, it was my first rebuild.

A few years later I swapped out the anemic 305 for a really nicely built up big valve 400 in my full size Chevy Blazer. My 17 year old nephew helped and we did the swap over a 4 day weekend. We threw old blankets over the fenders, etc. My nephew sat on the blanket covered battery most of the time he was helping under the hood. We found a battery out gasses all the time and those gasses go right thru blankets and pants. By the end of the day he had dime size holes in the seat of his pants and a itchy burning feeling where he sits. After he showered my mom buttered his butt to help with the chemical burn. He was Okay the next day, butt, it sure was funny.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:03 PM
BlacknRedGT
Pro

well.. I have a set of those automatic ratcheting wrenches and I was taking a bolt off somewhere underneath the intake manifold.. Well I got the bolt half way out just to realize it was hitting another part of the engine and is too long, well thats all fine and dandy except the wrench does not go backwards.... 4 hours later and a dremel. I got the bolt off and the wrench back

I also have closed my hood with tools under it many many times... in fact I have prob drivin around with tools under the hood
Old 11-02-2007, 10:50 PM
fastmover
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Decided to make a career out of it!!!

Semper Fi
Old 11-02-2007, 11:05 PM
turbo8
Pro

I still have a 13mm wrench stuck under the windshield washer tank, i have not got around to removing it as it seems like a pain just to get the wrench.

on the plus side i found a 17mm snap on Allen head socket jammed up somewhere around the battery must of been from a PO
Old 11-03-2007, 12:26 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FSAEracer03

...don't ask.
you gotta tell what happened
Old 11-03-2007, 12:48 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DDP
I don't have any of these stories for myself as my work is flawless, as most of you know. But I do remember....

From the manual:
M a i n B e a r i n g s No. 2 , 4 a n d 5
The bottom halves of the bearings are
designed without lubricating grooves. When
installing it is important, that bearing shells
w i t h lubricating grooves are placed in the
upper crankcase section and bearing shell
without lubricating grooves in the lower
crankcase section.

Well that sucks!
Old 11-03-2007, 01:02 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say take a full shot of coolant in the face. I was underneath the car while it was on stands. I forgot what we were doing but, I decided to drain the coolant and flush the system. Un plugged it and got carried away with not keeping the tab on. It shot out about 3 feet and hit me square in the face.

Coolant don't taste good. Trust me.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:18 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
I'd say take a full shot of coolant in the face. I was underneath the car while it was on stands. I forgot what we were doing but, I decided to drain the coolant and flush the system. Un plugged it and got carried away with not keeping the tab on. It shot out about 3 feet and hit me square in the face.

Coolant don't taste good. Trust me.
I thought coolant was suppose to be sweet?
Old 11-03-2007, 10:23 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Hmmm... Interesting thread....

There is "one guy" I know - pretty well, in fact....

1) Welding in a floor pan, on his back. Any idea how fast denim in the crotch area ignites with those sparks? Any idea how difficult it is to see "flames" through a welding mask? Apparently - you smell the flames and wonder "WTH IS THAT????!!". His wife still laughs at him for that - and probably has kept his burned dungrees as a reminder....

2) Never start a car after putting the engine back together - UNTIL you check everything - twice. And always put the entire exhaust system back on.. Same guy - working in his "younger years" rebuilds a Triumph TR-6. Side draft carbs. Engine manifold right under side draft carbs. "Wonder if it will actually "turn over"? Gets in (fuel lines are not tightly clamped to carbs yet), engine turns over (YIPEE!!!!) - fuel line spurts off carb inlet, engine backfires (remember only the exhaust manifold is attached - NOT the exhaust pipes...). Some kind of flames erupt - and begin to spread as fuel is spurting... Turns off car - rolls that danged TR-6 out of the garage (to save the garage). It took the fire department about 5 minutes to arrive (we lived near the fire station - I mean "he" lived near the fire station....)

3) Starter problem on a VW bug.. Want to check and see if it's the solenoid or the cable? Great - do NOT do this... Take a screwdriver, leave car in gear - and turn key to the "on" position. Next crawl under car - in FRONT of left rear tire, with said screwdriver to cross the solenoid and see if it will crank... Don't look up as VW starts and rear tire runs over you - as car drives away without a driver. Fortunately - there were some hedges to slow it's progress, so after getting run over, you have a chance to catch it....

Or - these were the stories I was told....

JD
Old 11-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by John D.
3) Starter problem on a VW bug.. Want to check and see if it's the solenoid or the cable? Great - do NOT do this... Take a screwdriver, leave car in gear - and turn key to the "on" position. Next crawl under car - in FRONT of left rear tire, with said screwdriver to cross the solenoid and see if it will crank... Don't look up as VW starts and rear tire runs over you - as car drives away without a driver. Fortunately - there were some hedges to slow it's progress, so after getting run over, you have a chance to catch it....

Or - these were the stories I was told....

JD
Good thing this wasn't a 1 ton chevy! Your "friend" might not be around to tell that story! (of course he'd have to be in front of a front wheel...)

Quick Reply: The most stupid thing you've done while working on your car?