Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The most stupid thing you've done while working on your car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Broke the stud on a brand new oil pressure sending unit by over tightening the 6mm nut. $hit! Was very carefull with the new, new one.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

had a flat leaking tire with screw in it...took it to corner gas station, put on wheel lock, guy wanted to put car on hoist with arms in wrong place, had an argument and drove car away without lifting car, lost the wheel lock took my mechanic all day to drill out the locks on all 4 wheels!
Old 11-02-2007, 04:58 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

After having had the car out of commission for months installing a MAF, new turbo, rebuilt head and timing belts I managed to drop a small washer through a spark plug hole the day I was ready to fire it up. Thankfully I saw it drop in. The thought of pulling the head again was NOT very appealing. Tried magnets (turned out to be an aluminum washer), compressed air and swearing, not necessarily in that order...

A buddy of mine stopped by and stuck a piece of gum on the end of some hard vacuum line and managed to fish the dang thing out and through the hole! I nearly kissed him :-)
Old 11-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by reno808
The 1st oil change i did on the 951. i was to lazy to take the pan. all i can say is what a mess. Moms wasnt to happy with the ice skating rink out side from the garage.
Did that before also. Was trying to save myself the 6 bolts removing the lower tray. Took the oil filter off thinking i was clever stuffing rags everywhere. I had oil leaking onto the driveway for a week and made a horrible mess of the engine .

Was changing the timing belt, forgot to tighten the spring tensioner and the belt slipped a few teeth when i was turning the engine over by hand. Spent a good deal of time trying to get the cam and crank back into time.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:05 PM
spammajamma
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default almost done that..no room for mistakes

Originally Posted by gcb951
I closed the hood while I had tools on the intake manifold. Reverse dents on the hood, chipped paint. I felt like an ***.
I always close very slowly
Old 11-02-2007, 05:07 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paid a shop to do my clutch on my first '44. They told me the coupler to the tranny had been destroyed somehow and the only new one available was several hundred dollars from Porsche. Not knowing what I do now I let them fix it.

My car will NEVER go to a shop again.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

Instead of buying a low profile jack, I got the bright idea to drive onto a small stack of bricks so I could get the jack under the car. When I hit the brakes, the stack fell over and bent the bottom of both fenders.

Worst part was the wife saw me do it!! I'll never live that down.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:40 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep the most stupid thing I did was handing it over to a shop to work on it when I first got it, which will never happen again. It ended up with a dent in the hood from underneath and an even bigger leak. Stupidest thing I did- scratched the fender because I wasn't using fender covers. I guess I've been lucky so far.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:42 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

...don't ask.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:02 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

3. I wanted to replace the front rotors on the NA. Thought I'd do the bearings too. I removed the hub, removed the rotor, did the bearings, put the hubs back on without rotors.

2. Didn't feel like disconnecting the battery when R&Ring the starter. Got sparks and zaps. Still have a burn scar.

3. 2nd time. Didn't disconnect the battery before working on the starter. I didn't forget, I just didn't think I needed to. Well this time my screwdriver got arcweld scars.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:16 PM
turbo8
Pro

i was under the car removing exhaust bolts with a impact ratchet, ya it slipped out of my hadn while i was ratchiting and it swung around and hit me in the head, i laid there for about five minutes while the daze wore off
Old 11-02-2007, 06:20 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FSAEracer03

...don't ask.
Ouch, bet you'll never order pizza without your pants on again!

Stupid thing I've done - bought directional wheel/tire package mounted and balanced, looked at set laying in garage and said that's not right, pay garage to reverse and re balance rear tire, mount on car, drive car 500mi, pay garage again to reverse and re balance tire again because it was right from the start. Most expensive right rear tire I'll ever own.

Last edited by JonH; 11-02-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

Just thought of another one. I was trying to loosen one of the plugs on the cam tower and it finally poped loose. My hand slipped and I punched myself in the chin chipping one of my front teeth. It hurt for about a month.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:46 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

punched myself in the face loosening a bolt somewhere under the car. two hands on an 18" breaker bar can make a lot of torque, look out when it lets go.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:52 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Fortunately I haven't done too many idiotic things on my car...or at least I can't remember them, whatever they were.

However, I can remember this instance, because it happened last week:

After having the whole front end repainted in May because of the installation of my vented nose panel, I chipped the bumper in three places because I dropped a wrench. But no -- it didn't just bounce once and fall to the ground, IT BOUNCED FIVE FRIGGIN' TIMES! I have no idea how the laws of physics let that one happen...

I got mad so I threw the wrench as hard as I could and hit my arm on a tree in the process...and I still haven't been able to find the G-D wrench...

Quick Reply: The most stupid thing you've done while working on your car?