Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Solid Lifter Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Solid Lifter Conversion

I've been thinking about solid lifter conversion... I've been a bit concerned about the extra maintenance and cost associated with that. It also has a hgih initial cost.

I realize I can't really get higher rpm, which is the reason most go that route on other cars, due to the oil pump... in any case, I'm not sure I'd like to go above 7,000 rpm due to the added stresses anyway.

For me, it's more about avoiding potential issues with the hydraulic lifters collapsing, possible better cam profile allowing quicker spool up, and being able to run higher levels of boost... I'm told that even with a valve spring upgrade, you shouldn't really run more than 18 psi of boost with the hydraulic setup.

I wold appreciate any thoughts and/or experience people might have with this setup... especially wrt maintenance costs.

Thanks.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:41 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

huh- never thought about running high boost w/ hydraulics but im sure there is something to be said about it. High compression would collapse the lifters w/ lots of boost. If you are considering solid lifters and 7k rpm i would think about knife-edging the crank and lightening plus putting some baffling etc in the pan to keep the oil put- ideally dry sump would be the way to go as well with high rpm but $$$ching! I dont think i would be too worried about the extra maintenance involved as adjusting 8 solid lifters would be pretty simple- much easier than a v8 ive done solid lifters on them before whew...
Old 10-30-2007, 10:47 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Scott there's also upgraded springs that can handle higher pressures of course.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Thanks for the reply Dan,

yeah, i don't really want to get into dry sump at this stage, so I'll keep it below 7,000rpm. i do have a windage tray which incorporates crank scapers and also an Accusump.

I have just bought a 3.0l crank so think I'll do a 2.8 stroker. I was going to go knife edge, but may keep it simple... it's a lot easier and less costly to take weight out of the flywheel and it's easier to make changes if need be... any thoughts on that?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:54 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Scott there's also upgraded springs that can handle higher pressures of course.
Thanks Patrick,

Problem is, i'm told there's a limit to how strong a spring you can use with hydraulics before they will start to give you problems... according to LR, that spring combined with hydraulic lifters really limits you to 18psi if you want to play it safe with the hydraulic lifters.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:16 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn't ST have hydraulic lifters for some of his high-boost runs?

Rogue
Old 10-30-2007, 11:19 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solid lifters are not necessary unless you are running high rpm and a very big cam , race engine maybe ?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:44 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Geneqco
Thanks Patrick,

Problem is, i'm told there's a limit to how strong a spring you can use with hydraulics before they will start to give you problems... according to LR, that spring combined with hydraulic lifters really limits you to 18psi if you want to play it safe with the hydraulic lifters.
My info tells me a few different things. I'll let you know.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:53 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Solid lifters are not necessary unless you are running high rpm and a very big cam , race engine maybe ?
What about higher boost levels... how do the old hydraulic lifters handle that? What would be a reasonable limit for boost pressure with hydraulics?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2007, 12:46 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Patrick,

Valve spring seat pressure is of a bigger issue with high boost than lifters , some valve float issue's in relation to high boost can come from improper tuning and poor intake manifold design. If you are using stock lift cams or a slightly modified cam with stock base circle , there should be no need for an upgrade.... unless of course you have worn lifters .
Old 10-31-2007, 12:50 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Patrick,

So the three years I ran 22-23psi doing DE and drag events was a just good luck?
Old 10-31-2007, 12:54 AM
NZ951
Race Director

I dont know how often people are spitting out shims with popular cam profiles without shimless bucket conversions in the 944 world?

To be honest, it looks like a solution in search of a problem. Sure theory at extremes tells us it helps solve a problem at some point, fact is there are countless examples with people running aftermarket cams and high boost and dont have lifter failure.

Its something I am considering with my V8 project, using 1N / 2N shimless buckets (or welding the shimless on the stock buckets) when I go to a 10.5mm lift cam with aggressive ramp cam.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:45 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Valve spring seat pressure is of a bigger issue with high boost than lifters , some valve float issue's in relation to high boost can come from improper tuning and poor intake manifold design. If you are using stock lift cams or a slightly modified cam with stock base circle , there should be no need for an upgrade.... unless of course you have worn lifters .
Thanks... Yes, they are saying the valve spring is the limiting factor, but they are also saying the valve spring you use is limited by the hydraulic lifter... ie, you can't really run as stiff a spring as you might like with tha hydraulics... also, because of the lighter valvetrain weight with the solids, the spring needn't be as stiff for the same boost pressure.

Any comments?
Old 10-31-2007, 01:48 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Originally Posted by NZ951
I dont know how often people are spitting out shims with popular cam profiles without shimless bucket conversions in the 944 world?

To be honest, it looks like a solution in search of a problem. Sure theory at extremes tells us it helps solve a problem at some point, fact is there are countless examples with people running aftermarket cams and high boost and dont have lifter failure.

Its something I am considering with my V8 project, using 1N / 2N shimless buckets (or welding the shimless on the stock buckets) when I go to a 10.5mm lift cam with aggressive ramp cam.
Thanks NZ951,

That was the other point, they cay you can run a cam with a more aggressive ramp with solids which they say can really help spool the turbo much more quickly.

Comments on this aspect as well any other benefits you see in the aggressive ramp cam would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:02 AM
NZ951
Race Director

The only reason I would run solid lifter would be to run a really aggressive ramp cam, but depends how nice you want your idle! For my mind, this is a complete waste of time for any car which spends less than half its life on the track.

Quick Reply: Solid Lifter Conversion