Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Which boost controller?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 06:14 PM
sawood12
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which boost controller?

Looking to get an EBC next. I've basically been turned off the Greddy Profec EBC as it sounds like a pain in the neck to set up. The Apexi looks pretty good and I like the sound of the 'learning' function but it doesn't seem to have a dual solenoid. Blitz do a few product with the dual solenoid but I have heard one or two bad reports about them. What EBC's are people running here?

Before anyone says stand alone EMS is not a feasible option for me even though it is clearly the best option.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:24 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

i would go half way and say perfect power smt7 i think it has boost control.
or just use good motronic software.and boost enhancer building on the factory boost control gives you knock boost reduction which is better than any other EBC.
I think the external waste gate and integrated ECU ebc that is standard on a 951 needs refining not replacing .
I think all of those ebc's are more use on integral wastegated set ups like Japanese stuff
Old 10-06-2007, 10:25 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

and to kind of contradict all that apparently "turbosmart" is the best
Old 10-07-2007, 02:20 AM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

I'm happily using apex'i

The learning future kinda sucks, only because yes it does try to figure out the best boost but tries to use that same boost level for all gears, so learning feature is only useful until you dyno test and tune your car at that point you just turn the learning off

It's great though, really allows you to get the most out of your turbo
Old 10-07-2007, 03:14 AM
mchamner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jasonlp
I'm happily using apex'i

The learning future kinda sucks, only because yes it does try to figure out the best boost but tries to use that same boost level for all gears, so learning feature is only useful until you dyno test and tune your car at that point you just turn the learning off

It's great though, really allows you to get the most out of your turbo
I agree, I am using apexi too and it is great!
Old 10-07-2007, 03:01 PM
sawood12
Racer

I take it you can turn the learning function off on the Apexi then? I'm not really interested in any of the fancy functionality like programmable boost curves - I just want a simple, reliable EBC and i'll use my right foot for the fine tuning - the old fashioned way!

I've not heard about the other devices people have mentioned so i'll do some research.

I am slightly concerned about loosing knock protection by deviating from the stock setup but i'm planning on the Vitesse stage 3 ultimately so will lose knock protection anyway.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:07 PM
mchamner
Intermediate

Hey jasonLP, what is your boost and duty set at for your k-26/8... jw... thanks!
Old 10-07-2007, 10:09 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sawood12
Looking to get an EBC next. I've basically been turned off the Greddy Profec EBC as it sounds like a pain in the neck to set up. The Apexi looks pretty good and I like the sound of the 'learning' function but it doesn't seem to have a dual solenoid. Blitz do a few product with the dual solenoid but I have heard one or two bad reports about them.
This topic has been covered a lot in the recent past. Try a search, but a lot of people like the Apex and the Blitz. Personally, I am going to use the Blitz unit in the future as I've heard nothing but great things.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:53 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

mchammer

Playing around my self I was up to boost .85 and 50% duty, but 2 days before my dyno tunning i was in a chain collsion and a trailer hitch shish kababed my intercooler so i havn't gotten any proper tunning in yet

but because of that im now putting in 83" injectors a stealth maf and piggy back, so in a few weeks I should at least get to dyno tune and test it before winter
Old 10-07-2007, 10:54 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Are you sure you need dual solenoid? For simplicity you might want to consider a Profec B Type S. It has high/low boost selection with a gain and boost ****. Very simple and consistent for me anyway.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:31 AM
mchamner
Intermediate

JasonLP, When were you experiencing full boost? Something is still wrong with my boost, I am boosting .70 bars @ 4600rpm... I have a k-27/6... any suggestions? Could it be cause my car was sitting with a 1/3 tank of gas for about 6-7 months, and it crystalized? A vaccume problem? a wastegate problem or some type of exhaust problem? any advice will be appreciated... Would it make a difference that this engine is brand new? 686 miles on it and getting my first oil change in 2 days...
Old 10-08-2007, 08:38 AM
sawood12
Racer

To be honest i'm not 100% sure how these things work, i'm still doing my research, however i've been told that a dual solenoid system is preferable as you have a seperate solenoid that specifically positively holds the DPW closed until the set boost level is approached. Not sure if this brings particular benefits or not.

Had a dyno run at the weekend and my car ahcived 15psi (intended boost level) but it didn't hold 15psi for any length of time and linearly bled down to 9psi at red line. This is obvioulsy a combination of my MBC bleeding pressure and my K26/6 running out of puff. I'm hoping that an WBC will enable me to hold 15psi longer. I ultimately plan to ditch the turbo but i'n not at that point yet.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:49 AM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

I run the old style Greddy ProfecB, simple and easy. 3 adjustment *****, and a simple "Hi/Lo" button to switch between the 2 modes.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:33 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

mchammer

coudln't tell you, I had the apex'i on the wrong dme line, pin 1 for rpm is no good and i havnt driven it since i got shish kababed, hopefully in a few weeks i can give you a real answer

What pins are you using for your apex'i?

Last edited by jasonlp; 10-08-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:43 PM
eniac
Drifting

I have been using the Apex'i AVC-R for a few years now and love it. The only few complaints I have is the injector duty cycle wont work for ours cars(its not needed), the pressure units do not show in bar nor PSI(kg/cm2), and it's only a single solenoid.

The good stuff about it is way too much for me to list, gear based boost, scramble boost, self learning function, independant duty cycle adjustment, etc. I have heard that it can be switched to a duel solenoid but have yet to see how, also there was a way to get the injector duty cycle working but there really is no reason to need it so I haven't bothered.

Quick Reply: Which boost controller?