Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OT: Please tell me if I am out of line

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 10:59 AM
turboted
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Morty - sorry to hear about this. I bought used parts last month from a reputable Rennlister who was parting a car...but the parts were broken when I received them and could not be used. I sent a PM to the seller explaining what happened...and I never got a response back. I did not pursue the issue, as there is no legal recourse and I only lost $50. But it still chaps my ***. It's an issue of principle. I find it very disheartening that there those among us who are not willing to do the right thing. Unfortunately, it's a chance we all take when we buy/sell here on this forum. All we can do is take responsibility for our own actions...as we can't control other people. That leaves us at risk for trusting others. No good to name names, as this only contributes to the problem, IMHO. When I have parts to sell (which I will soon) I will list them on eBay, where legal protection exists to protect buyers/sellers from this kind of situation. Like usual, a few bad apples spoil the bunch.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:10 AM
davepnola
Racer

Morty , might be out line, but how out line was it to sell me car with gasoline leaking from the rear and not telling me ??? And do not say you did not know because I found threads about you trying to fix ??
Old 09-28-2007, 11:15 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by davepnola
Morty , might be out line, but how out line was it to sell me car with gasoline leaking from the rear and not telling me ??? And do not say you did not know because I found threads about you trying to fix ??
Uh Oh
Old 09-28-2007, 11:23 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

I am sure this lister saw this thread and he is prob going to pay up..
Old 09-28-2007, 12:33 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Uh Oh

I'll see that and raise you:

Last edited by tifosiman; 08-03-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:37 PM
BlacknRedGT
Pro

I manage properties all day long over here at Realty Executives... Basically he needs to pay you for the part and the bounced check fee. He is not responsible for any overdraft charges that you incurred because you did not know the check bounced. ohhh.. and make sure he sends certified funds next time (money order, cashiers check( Although I have seen cashiers checks bounce which amazed me)
Old 09-28-2007, 01:41 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zero10
As somebody who sells parts from time to time, I as well would like to know who it is. That said I see how it can lead to personal attacks, and I'm not certain that it should be publicly posted.

I also feel that he owes you the $45, although typical bad cheque fees are $25 and I think that would be acceptable as well. It is not possible for him to predict that it would cost you $45 for his cheque bouncing, and it is not really fair to hold him for more than the typical fees are.

That said, he should also be getting dinged by his bank for writing a bad cheque.. I know my bank would charge me.
$45 is fairly cheap for a NSF fee. What often happens when you write a bad check to a store, they send it to thier bank, their bank sends it to yours and it comes back NSF. The bank then charges thier fee of $25-35. The check often automatically gets sent through a second time, if it is returned again, the bank charges another $25-35. So that's $50-70 right there. On top of this the stare also charges for returned checks. Depending on policy some will charge each time the check is sent while other only charge after it is returned the second time. So add $25-50 onto the bank fees.

If he had wrote that check to a store it might have ended up costing him an additional $75-120. Asking him to only pay the $45 bank fee is well within reason. He should thankfully pay up and be happy that's the only fee.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's obvious the buyer has posted and it will be resoloved so that's a good thing for everyone involved.

But davepnola sure did throw a wrench in it didn't he?
Old 09-28-2007, 02:09 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen on some other forum that under the user name they have an "itrader" rating. kinda of like a feedback that is used on ebay.

Perhaps RL could adopt a similar concept for buyer and sellers.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:15 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Smokiemon944
I have seen on some other forum that under the user name they have an "itrader" rating. kinda of like a feedback that is used on ebay.

Perhaps RL could adopt a similar concept for buyer and sellers.
its been discussed before but it would be like getting G.Bush to sign a Peace Treaty...AINT GONNA HAPPEN
Old 09-28-2007, 02:25 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eniac
$45 is fairly cheap for a NSF fee. What often happens when you write a bad check to a store, they send it to thier bank, their bank sends it to yours and it comes back NSF. The bank then charges thier fee of $25-35. The check often automatically gets sent through a second time, if it is returned again, the bank charges another $25-35. So that's $50-70 right there. On top of this the stare also charges for returned checks. Depending on policy some will charge each time the check is sent while other only charge after it is returned the second time. So add $25-50 onto the bank fees.

If he had wrote that check to a store it might have ended up costing him an additional $75-120. Asking him to only pay the $45 bank fee is well within reason. He should thankfully pay up and be happy that's the only fee.
$75-$120? WTF?
Around here if you bounce a cheque you pay them $25, and your bank will usually also charge you $25. End of story....
I don't want to deal with those stores.....

That said, I've never bounced a cheque, but I have a lot of friends who are dead-beats, so I hear a lot of this stuff second hand.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:22 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zero10
$75-$120? WTF?
Around here if you bounce a cheque you pay them $25, and your bank will usually also charge you $25. End of story....
I don't want to deal with those stores.....

That said, I've never bounced a cheque, but I have a lot of friends who are dead-beats, so I hear a lot of this stuff second hand.

Many banks will automatically send a check through a second time, adding another $25 if it bounces the second time, thus the $75. Some stores will charge the first time but most only charge after it comes back NSF the second time. Bank and store fees vary so yes it is possible to be charged up to $120 for one check,

My bank in paticular also charges $5/per day that an account is in the negative. Thankfully this has never happened to me.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:33 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Man, I have sent so many things to rennlisters before their checks clear, sometimes before I get them, and sometimes even before they send them !!

I sent a 951S transmission to a guy in washington state on the agreement that after he inspected it, he would make a deposit to my bank acct. He did exactly that.

I have to say that I have been pretty lucky dealing with rennlisters and porsche guys alike.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:50 PM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

I told him to see this thread and I'm waiting his reply.

And about Dave's comment, I am sure some of you remeber this thread from a while back. He posted all of these things that were apparently wrong with the car that I did not disclose, and then he turns around last week and tries to resell the car, he doesn;t mention fixing most of the things he said were wrong.... And about the fuel, as I stated in a PM to him when this occured fuel began to leak, I purchased EVERY line/ peice in between the tank and hard line (all three lines, check valve, o rings, filter) which I provided the reciept for and I thought that fixed it, but apparently it didn't, everything was new??? Just wanted to straighten that out yet again... even though off topic
Old 09-28-2007, 04:57 PM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

By the way the buyer has not posted yet just FYI

Quick Reply: OT: Please tell me if I am out of line