Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Starts but wont run?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 11:35 AM
newkie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starts but wont run?

So, my car (1989 951) starts up just fine, but it wont run for more then 5 seconds. Using the throttle kills it even faster, i i disconnected my MAF and, no difference, wich leads me to believe it has something to do with that, its getting all the juice it needs thought. So unless it's broken i don't know what i might be.

For some reason i disconnected the TPS and the car slowly reved up to 1400 rpm and then down towards idle again, that time it ran 15-20 sec, almost thought i found the fault, again use of the throttle seems to kill the car with the TPS disconnected to.

It's almost like it dies when it hits idle. Checked the DME-relay to, seems to be in working order. And it's not like, *Cough, cough* *struggle* *Die*, it dies almost as if you switch it of...

Im all out of clues, my MAF-kit provider will be helping me to check if the MAF-meter is broken, later on, but theres no reason to suspect that. It's like 3 or four weeks old and hardly has dust on it. No scratches or marks...

any ideas?

Last edited by newkie; 09-17-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try you give it throttle (car on or off) do you hear the TPS click when it opens and closes? It could be the position that the MAF is at, try rotating it.

I hate having any type of idle/driving problems. Yesterday my car was idling at 500 RPM until I realized two of the injector harnesses came unplugged.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this sounds like a case of the MAF having voltage but not enough to run it. Where are you getting your power source from?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:45 PM
sparkyman215
Instructor

that sounds exactly like what happened when my MAF did not have enough voltage. Almost positive that is your problem.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:08 PM
newkie
Instructor

I know one of the sources is the Diagnostics port (12v). the othe one is spliced in to the original LMM harness, it gives almost 5v (like 4,5) supposed to give 5v.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:19 PM
newkie
Instructor

Just realized a new thing, whas out testing around in the dark. My dashboard light has been changed to a LED soloution with a microcontroller and RGB-leds, i can program my dash to change color at different RPM (Shiftlight) A friend of mine (Electrical engineer) designed it. However, it's set to change from white to red at 6k rpm, and when i turned the ignition on the dash turned red, this probably means that rpm signal is at the top as soon as i start the car, the needle doesen't move though. could this have something to do with it?

Heres a clip of the shiftlight to enjoy: http://picasaweb.google.se/sjolund.d...93021881701186
Old 09-21-2007, 03:28 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Newkie thats pretty cool.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:58 PM
BlacknRedGT
Pro

Are you sure the speed and ref sensors are correct??? The needle should at least move a bit when trying to crank. I know I had the same problem as you and it turned out to be a bunch of vacuum leaks.

those leds/led in your car are pretty neat
Old 09-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newkie
Just realized a new thing, whas out testing around in the dark. My dashboard light has been changed to a LED soloution with a microcontroller and RGB-leds, i can program my dash to change color at different RPM (Shiftlight) A friend of mine (Electrical engineer) designed it. However, it's set to change from white to red at 6k rpm, and when i turned the ignition on the dash turned red, this probably means that rpm signal is at the top as soon as i start the car, the needle doesen't move though. could this have something to do with it?

Heres a clip of the shiftlight to enjoy: http://picasaweb.google.se/sjolund.d...93021881701186

That is AWESOME!
Old 09-21-2007, 04:03 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

disconnect that dash light and see if it runs- maybe taping into the signal is drawing too much and not giving something to the maf- not that i know how those work alot but never know.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:56 PM
newkie
Instructor

Originally Posted by reno808
Newkie thats pretty cool.
Thanks i like it to

Originally Posted by BlacknRedGT
Are you sure the speed and ref sensors are correct??? The needle should at least move a bit when trying to crank. I know I had the same problem as you and it turned out to be a bunch of vacuum leaks.

those leds/led in your car are pretty neat
It does move, i just expressed myself badly. The revmeter moves when the engine runs. What i meant to say is that the microcontroller in my shiftlight-dash-thingy seems to think that the revsignal is at 6k RPM or more as soon as i turn the ignition on. This however does not make the revmeter move...

Originally Posted by Keithr726
That is AWESOME!
It's kinda neat

Originally Posted by xsboost90
disconnect that dash light and see if it runs- maybe taping into the signal is drawing too much and not giving something to the maf- not that i know how those work alot but never know.
The dashlight does not give out any signal outside the board its built i
on, all it needs is a powersource and revsignal. so that wont alter the revsignal.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:57 PM
newkie
Instructor

Another thing i failed to mention is the fact that my car has immobilizer, could that thing cause this?

Quick Reply: Starts but wont run?