Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replacing MAX chips with original Autothority chips

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 08:29 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing MAX chips with original Autothority chips

I am putting back my Autothority MAF 30C chips back because the MAX chips are way to rich. I tried putting the FQS on #2 which is -3.1% like Russell recommended put it made no difference or minimal if any, the car is still sluggish and cuts out in 4th or 5th gear while accelerating gently or cruising, misfiring and doesn't feel smooth and my mpg is ridiculous, a lot of black smoke at WOT, pulled out a plug and it had shiny black sludge on the back of the electrode and gas around the top confirming that it's misfiring cause it's too rich, plus it smells like gas. With the Autothority chips, it was always smooth at any rpm range and it never misfired or backfired or cut out in 4th or 5th while cruising or accelerating or releasing the throttle. I blew the hg with them cause I floored it in 4th gear and it leaned out, so no more WOT in 4th and I'll be fine!
Old 09-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Outkasted
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought you sold this car, but anyway I read a previous post and you were saying it was running better when you changed the FQS. So what happended did it just start running too rich all of a sudden. I ask because i am waiting for my max chips and then for my car to get out of the shop so i can see if they run better than my autothority chips. If not i will send Russel my ape chips for a little tuning.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:49 PM
LFA951
Drifting

I thought I did but it was a phony check, so I am still driving it. It ran better for a day or 2, but remember, I am in 90 degree weather and the heat makes the car run richer, but still, in the morning when it's cooler like 80, it still stumbles and misfires, in 1st and second it pulls strong and nice, but in the higher gears it lacks the same smooth power flow. I asked Russell if i could send him mine and maybe tune them but he said he can't do anything with them. Oh well, I have some MAX chips for an '89 turbo S ECU (28pin) 30C calibration MAF chips for Autothority if anyone wants them...
Old 09-12-2007, 09:05 PM
caster951
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you talked to Russel about the issue? He should be able to fix it if it is the chip causing the problem. What piggyback are you using if you are running the autothority maf? His chips will require tuning if you have a maf, at least he says that and mine did.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:17 PM
George D
Drifting

Call Russell. This just doesn't sound right.

George
Old 09-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LFA951
I am putting back my Autothority MAF 30C chips back because the MAX chips are way to rich. I tried putting the FQS on #2 which is -3.1% like Russell recommended put it made no difference or minimal if any, the car is still sluggish and cuts out in 4th or 5th gear while accelerating gently or cruising, misfiring and doesn't feel smooth and my mpg is ridiculous, a lot of black smoke at WOT, pulled out a plug and it had shiny black sludge on the back of the electrode and gas around the top confirming that it's misfiring cause it's too rich, plus it smells like gas. With the Autothority chips, it was always smooth at any rpm range and it never misfired or backfired or cut out in 4th or 5th while cruising or accelerating or releasing the throttle. I blew the hg with them cause I floored it in 4th gear and it leaned out, so no more WOT in 4th and I'll be fine!

Save yourself the drama and pick up a set of Vitesse MAF chips for the Autothority MAF. I've done two of these and they both run perfect.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:29 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My friend is installing a set of these for a 30C autothority maf at the moment. I sure hope his experience goes better than yours. . .
Old 09-12-2007, 09:34 PM
George D
Drifting

This is the first issue I have heard with Russell's chips. He is a good vendor. Give him a call. If there is an issue with that chip burn, he will take care of it. When you call him have your MAFS model number handy just in case.

George
Old 09-12-2007, 09:34 PM
LFA951
Drifting

I am not using a piggyback and I don't know how they tune it, it's supposed to be a bolt on piece that doesn't require any adjustment
Old 09-12-2007, 09:35 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

LFA951: No offense here, but why would you start a thread, which is more or less bashing a vendor who 'you' bought chips from? If you want to sell them, then you should have just stated that in a thead and left it as that. But to have a thread which can potentially tarnish a vendor's image, when this should be discussed in private, isn't ethical and unprofessional in my book. Honestly, dicusss this concern with Russell offline, but not by posting a thread like this.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:54 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like your not really sure what you need...talk to Russel and get things straightened out- offline.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:02 PM
caster951
Three Wheelin'

The 951max chips are not a bolt on and go product when it comes to an aftermarket maf sensor setup. They are a bolt on and go with the factory afm, where the signals/calibration is consistent from car to car. When installing maf chips from 951 max, they will be close to perfect at idle, but DO require a piggyback to tune in the upper ranges. I have talked with Russell about this at length, and he doesn't claim bolt on with maf's, due to the inconsistency of the sensor calibrations from unit to unit. So, for the max chips to work properly you will need a piggyback to tune with. Also, what boost are you running, that could cause fluctuations in your afr with the chips if it is far off from their intended boost level of 15-18 psi. Like I said before, Russell has great customer support, you need to talk to him about your issues.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:07 PM
George D
Drifting

LFA951: No offense here, but why would you start a thread, which is more or less bashing a vendor who 'you' bought chips from? If you want to sell them, then you should have just stated that in a thead and left it as that. But to have a thread which can potentially tarnish a vendor's image, when this should be discussed in private, isn't ethical and unprofessional in my book. Honestly, dicusss this concern with Russell offline, but not by posting a thread like this.

Rolex,

You did a much better job with your post than I did with mine. Your post was exactly what was on my mind.

No offense to the scriviner, LFA 951.

George
Old 09-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you checked for any kind of boost-leaks? A leak after the turbo will cause the car to run rich under boost.

Rogue
Old 09-12-2007, 10:27 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RolexNJ

For all anybody knows, he has a busted fuel pressure regulator.......!?!?!

T

Quick Reply: Replacing MAX chips with original Autothority chips