Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

car hit/ gt racing fenders

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Outkasted
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default car hit/ gt racing fenders

Ok so today the guy next door bumped my drivers side front fender. He basically made a dent the size of a football in the fender and it is rubbing the front tire. So i was going to take it to a body shop and see if they can push it back out, but then i was thinking just replace them with the gt racing fiberglass fenders. So who has put these on their car and how hard is this to do. Do they bolt right on or is there alot of modification involved. Also the fender liner inside do you still use that or no.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:30 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some AIR fenders for the N/A. They do 'bolt-on' for the most part. You have to drill out the mounting holes to do so.

Problems that you'll have:

There is no inner structure like the factory fenders have, so the part of the factory fender that bolts into the door jam, that structure is non-existant. This can cause alignment issues, as the fender doesn't really want to hold the curvature shape of the door. I remedied this on my fenders by making a mold of the factory structure, bolting it to the car, then bonding the fender to the structure all in place so that the fender naturally matched the contour of the car.

You can still use the plastic inner fender liners, as they really don't attach to the fenders anyways. They mount to the car unibody in the fender, and to the batwing and the rear aerodynamic plastic tray things.

You'll have to make your own lower mounts, I accomplished this by simply bending up some sheet metal brackets, bolting to the fender, and mating them to the factory fender mounts.

Just use some creative engineering. Too bad you don't have an N/A, I'm actually looking to get rid of those fenders.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:27 PM
NeoRules
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok... is it me or do you guys have the same avitar????
Old 09-08-2007, 10:30 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NeoRules
Ok... is it me or do you guys have the same avitar????
Yes it is the same avatar

Old 09-08-2007, 10:59 PM
944 crazy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats the first thing i saw to...maybe they're sharing cars ????
Old 09-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Outkasted
Instructor

I have not replaced my avatar with an actual picture of the car just picked on in the gallery that looked like it. ok this sounds like more work than i thought it would be. I guess i will see how much it costs to fix the dent and go from there. I am not paying for it anyway.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Outkasted
Instructor

Anyone else have any experience with gt racing fenders.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:52 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yes- i would not run them on a street car.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:27 PM
Outkasted
Instructor

why? Are they not very sturdy? why do you say that, have you run them on a street car?
Old 09-10-2007, 11:34 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

while the quality of the fiberglass is one thing, the fact that they are made to fit onto a race car is another. I think as far as a race car is concerned, as long as they have the basic shape and can fit into the right spot, they are great. On a street car they need plenty of work to make them fit as they should, need to be fit with fender liners etc to keep rocks etc from chipping them inside and starring the paint on the outside, do not have the proper brakets to fit as the factory fenders should, and just plain dont hold up as well IMHO.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Outkasted
Instructor

Thanks for the input. I guess i will have to see if the body shop can beat the dent out verses trying to replace it with something else.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:55 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Outkasted
Thanks for the input. I guess i will have to see if the body shop can beat the dent out verses trying to replace it with something else.
I have a pair of front fenders in CF that I'm downloading. Make me an offer. You'll need to repaint, but they're in good condition and fit well.

Quick Reply: car hit/ gt racing fenders