Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Can I make 300 hp with stock exhaust and a new waste gate?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 11:52 AM
rmoleman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I make 300 hp with stock exhaust and a new waste gate?

I bought my 944 about a year ago and have been using up funds on long term maint. stuff (new muffler, new timing belt, water pump, tires, brakes, radio, AC...)

Now I am ready for performance upgrades, but no cash. Can I get to 300hp with a Tial waste gate & stock exhaust?
Old 09-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 287 Posts

As long as your stock wastegate is holding stock boost reasonably well, you will get you biggest bang for the buck with a good set of performance chips.

I've made of 350 to the wheels with a stock muffler and tial, but that's with a bigger turbo, injectors, MAF, etc.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rmoleman
I bought my 944 about a year ago and have been using up funds on long term maint. stuff (new muffler, new timing belt, water pump, tires, brakes, radio, AC...)

Now I am ready for performance upgrades, but no cash. Can I get to 300hp with a Tial waste gate & stock exhaust?
No. In addition to the wg you will need a catback, testpipe, chips, fpr and a boost controller. You still won't get to 300rwp with the k26 but you will be very pleased with the outcome per $$. Do a search, there are lots of dyno runs posted with these mods. I have a 1 bar spring in my Tial...boost hits nice and hard (17psi). I have a friend who is into turbo nissans(240 w/a skyline engine), after riding in my car he was very surprised at the performance for what has been done to it.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your low on cash you can gut the cat and keep the stock exhaust for a while.an aftermarket exhaust would help you reach your goal a little easier though
Old 09-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

I would get chips for the car which usually means you get a 3 bar fuel reg, boost controller and perhaps a new wastegate. When I had that, plus a 3" cat-bypass, running at 17psi I got 240rwhp and 300rwtq, it was a quick car then. Since then I went to a Vitesse MAF which added another 20rwhp at the same PSI, as well as 55lb injectors. I am about to finish my Lindsey super 61 turbo which should put me in the 320rwhp I am hoping or even more. The chip upgrade and cat-bypass is the biggest upgrade you can do for the least amount of $$. After that, it starts to cost some decent $$. You would be amazed how much just those bolt on's make your car.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Angelheart
4th Gear

Default 300 HP

Which model do you have? The early cars only gave around 217 HP. The later cars gave nearer 250HP at the crank. In short just adding a Tial wastegate and a new muffler will probably not give you 300 HP even if you have a later 250HP car.

When I started I thought I wanted as much power/torque as I could get. However, I have realised that what I really want is a very, very fast road car that is driveable on an everyday basis. I now have that. I have made a number of modifications but if I were starting out again with a standard car I would do the following:

after all the base stuff had been done, water pump, belts etc., and everything was working, the first thing I would change would be the wastegate. The second would be a decent set of chips. The third would be a Vitesse Maf kit.

These modifications will give you a great car upon which you can build!
Old 09-01-2007, 06:18 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't want to put a new WG on without a chip and boost controller, and 3 bar FPR though. That combined with Tial is a good start and probably gains you the most for the money.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:21 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

WG is not a cost effective mod at all chips and wastgate shims first then boost enhancer tyype thing (inline pressure releaif) for around 30$
also crude water injection is super cost effective . but the cheapest way to mod a car is to be super patient if you wait and watch you will pick up a maf and chip kit for 3 or 4 00 this will bring you up to the injecter / exhuast power limt.
I free mod is smash th inside of your cat out .
Old 09-02-2007, 12:15 PM
rmoleman
Instructor

The car is 1986 217 SAE Net hp according to the owners manual.

Any advice on a boost controler?
Old 09-02-2007, 01:02 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rmoleman
The car is 1986 217 SAE Net hp according to the owners manual.

Any advice on a boost controler?
If you aren't looking to spend alot of money Lindsey Racing has a nice simple Manual Boost Controller that can be found here: http://www.lindseyracing.com/mm5/mer...Code=951BOOST1

I use this on my car and it is very simple, and works as it should.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:41 PM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check out Russell Berry's line of chips. From mild to wild he gives you a great deal of performance for the money.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Naplesguy06
Racer

The k-26/6 gets you to about 270 Hp tops with all the toppings, it will never do 300 at the wheels, but like Burma said impressive kick can be obtained with it and it will feel like 300 hp. Go to a k27/8 and hit 375 hp but the lag will increase as well. I have the complete setup including the Powerhaus K27/8, Autoauthority MAF chips,BOV,Wg,etc.etc.etc. Still cant decide if I want to put it all in or look at it on my workbench. I am a little scared of reliability diminishing.I boost at 1.9 on the guage and chirp real hard up to 3rd gear, dont know how much hp I have but my car boogies, heck ive dusted mustangs,gen3 rx-7,pontiac gto and even a 997 I can only imagine what I could do with the k27/8 and mafkit installed.By the way I head that Maf kits are a waste of money until you hit the 300 hp mark, I was told the stock setup works fine up to this range.Can anyone verify this. A famous Porsche SCCA engine builder and racer told me this.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:22 AM
76 911s
Racer

Originally Posted by Naplesguy06
By the way I head that Maf kits are a waste of money until you hit the 300 hp mark, I was told the stock setup works fine up to this range.Can anyone verify this. A famous Porsche SCCA engine builder and racer told me this.

I just installed a Vitesse MAF on my car with a K26/6. Other mods are MBC, Tial 38, LR 3", and a Forge DV. While it may not give a huge HP increase for the cost, the spoolup is amazing compared to the AFM. I now get boost at much lower rpms and it spools up almost instantly. This may be a different story on a race car where the engine stays at high rpm's, but in my mind, less restriction in the intake is always a good thing. Peak numbers are only part of the battle, the way you get there is another.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:54 AM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 76 911s
I just installed a Vitesse MAF on my car with a K26/6. Other mods are MBC, Tial 38, LR 3", and a Forge DV. While it may not give a huge HP increase for the cost, the spoolup is amazing compared to the AFM. I now get boost at much lower rpms and it spools up almost instantly. This may be a different story on a race car where the engine stays at high rpm's, but in my mind, less restriction in the intake is always a good thing. Peak numbers are only part of the battle, the way you get there is another.
+1. A street car and a race car live at different throttle positions. A setup that looks good on paper might not be practical for street use.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:21 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

If you are low on cash now, wait until you go for cheap performance and break something.

When you are ready, go for a package that is designed to work together. Turning up the boost with stock chips is asking for a HG failure.

Quick Reply: Can I make 300 hp with stock exhaust and a new waste gate?