Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

8 days to Bonneville and - AWW FAWK!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 04:47 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8 days to Bonneville and - AWW FAWK!

As many of you know I am running in the 150 club at Bonneville in September. Leaving in 8 days looks like the HGasket gave up. FAWK!!!

as soon as it warm up warm is burning significant oil at idle, and maybe a little coolant (hard to tell). No fluid contamination/mixing (oil or coolant).

waiting for it to cool down to get a handle on what is going on.
I ask you offer up a chant to the Bonneville gods for a bit of good luck.

Last edited by 2bridges; 08-30-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:52 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

better order that comic gasket now!
Old 08-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
better order that comic gasket now!
"comic gasket".....taint nutin' funny about it....
Old 08-30-2007, 05:28 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

I think he means "cosmic"

No...

...wait...

"Cosmetic"

-Yeah, That's it!

Keith
Old 08-30-2007, 05:29 PM
2bridges
Drifting

have WF gasket in hand...... bought it from a lister at a good price for just such an emergency. Gonna have to get away with re-using the factory studs I am afraid. Geeeze..... not the way I had this job planned out at all. I only pray for no surprises when the head is off... otherwise I have to find a motor FAST!
Old 08-30-2007, 05:32 PM
jakery
resident n00b
Rennlist Member

Um, no he means "Cometic"

I ordered mine last week. Hurry because they don't have them in stock, & it takes 2-3 days to make them.

I had a WF HG on & after talking to Special Tool and a few other guys it look slike Cometic is the way to go.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:49 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

doh! cometic...comic you know what i mean.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:50 PM
2bridges
Drifting

OK - I have cold compression 115,115,115,120

the 120 cylinder #4 also has a bit of moisture/oil excess.

anybody seen a HG leak antifreeze into a cylinder without showing on cold or warm compression test???
Old 08-30-2007, 11:02 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I've only seen that on my civic, so I'm not sure if this helps you. Seemed I had a very slight issue. No heating issues on the street (big, dual core aftermarket radiator) but on the track it started to heat up and spit water out the overflow tank after a few laps. The compression test was like 230, 228, 225, 230 or something like that.

I was using a modified oem gasket at 2 layers instead of the stock 3 layer, which was a commonly done mod, but I guess it doesn't hold up on track, lesson learned. (hg job on this car is like 3 hours, and only 25 bucks for the gasket since I have ARP's, haha!)
Old 08-30-2007, 11:59 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

The only silver lining is it didn't happen at 155 mph in the middle of nowhere...count your blessings!
Old 08-31-2007, 12:59 AM
2bridges
Drifting

HAHAHAHAHA - well the Gods are smiling on me today................ I better come clean.

I totally duped myself. I have been taking all these really short few mile test cruses over the last week. Has been oddly cool in the evenings with high humidity in daytime. Long story short... muffler with a ****load of water in it (condensation). Took a good long drive and burned it all out.

How stupid - Duh! At this point I am just relieved I got to the bottom of it, and is actually resolved. Explains why no fluids were being lost, no fluid contamination, no cold or hot compression discrepancies, no performance issues. Must have been a gallon in there for as much steam as is was making.

very embarrassing to say the least. Got my **** sorted out. Thanks for the responses - I am just a little stressed this close to D-Day and so much to do.

(Looks up) Thanks Big Guy - I owe ya one!
Old 08-31-2007, 01:45 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bridges
HAHAHAHAHA - well the Gods are smiling on me today................ I better come clean.

I totally duped myself. I have been taking all these really short few mile test cruses over the last week. Has been oddly cool in the evenings with high humidity in daytime. Long story short... muffler with a ****load of water in it (condensation). Took a good long drive and burned it all out.

How stupid - Duh! At this point I am just relieved I got to the bottom of it, and is actually resolved. Explains why no fluids were being lost, no fluid contamination, no cold or hot compression discrepancies, no performance issues. Must have been a gallon in there for as much steam as is was making.

very embarrassing to say the least. Got my **** sorted out. Thanks for the responses - I am just a little stressed this close to D-Day and so much to do.

(Looks up) Thanks Big Guy - I owe ya one!

How do you explain the coolant in #4 you mentioned?
Old 08-31-2007, 02:09 AM
2bridges
Drifting

I Jumped to hasty conclusions.... in my defense I am certain I have salt-anticipation-stress-disorder.

Coolant(moisture oily stuff) was actually on threaded portion and seating ring of plug, not the combustion exposed area.

Close inpection of plugs reveiled consistant coloring and electrode wear. ever so slight evidence of oil burning... expected as I have always obsserved a bit of oiling in the hard pipes and IC.

very humbling...... in front of the whole world no less.....

________________________________________________________________________ _______________

- Ah yes and the oil burning smell....... lower balance shaft housing sprung a leak and is periodically dripping on/near exhaust crossover. Coincidentally this leak started last night with this steaming exhaust (no joke). What are the chances. Oh well will now focus on leak and rest of preperations.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:15 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Changing the head gasket is not that bad I did it in the middle of a FIELD. i re used EVERYTHING and i stripped a couple of bolts but for that i went to home depot and autozone and i was on my way. no leaks no nothing the runns ALLOTTTTTT better than it did before. Yes i was the guy the blew the HG at the 944 fest. JUST DO IT & STOP B ESSSSSSSSSING

Quick Reply: 8 days to Bonneville and - AWW FAWK!