Post pics of your 951 with fr splitter please

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 02:07 PM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement intervals?

So, how long do most of you get from the AIR splitter before a replacement is needed due to road damage?
Old 09-02-2007, 05:20 PM
dougoh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boston951
So, how long do most of you get from the AIR splitter before a replacement is needed due to road damage?

when i ordered mine ..the guy at air had asked if i wanted 2 because of the shipping and how often people have replaced their splitters...i chinced out and went with 1 and cracked mine backing down my trailer on the first day ...i was able to fix it with a fiber glass repair kit from the hardware store but it doesnt look perfect
Old 09-02-2007, 05:33 PM
951rs
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all

sideskirts are modified strosek. I'm still not fully satisfied with them yet. I intend to go a bit more in the direction of the 993rs sideskirts.
I'll wait for the wiper deflector and some other details to get the final setup for the exterior...

Joe, your black 951 is one of my very favourites, simple and pure, very bad looking in a positive sense...in fact, I've got a picture of it in the office...Do you have any video footage of it?

If you are interested in the splitter...I have handed over all the specs of mine to a german colleague which will build a small series in autumn.
If somebody from the U.S wants to rebuild one, I can list the parts I used and add some detailed pics. It's not a big deal to build it.

Cheers

Beni
Old 09-02-2007, 07:18 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Boston 951, I am on my SIXTH! splitter, I couldn't keep them on for the life of me. One actually came off during a high speed run at about 185 so the downforce really is there. Make sure you bolt it up correctly. On the positive note, I've had this one on for about six years now. You just learn to take everything at an angle.

Beni, Thanks for the kind words. If you get the chance, I'd like you to forward me your coleague's email address if he speaks English and he can let me know when he builds them. Thanks again. Joe
Old 09-03-2007, 03:37 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Joe's superb car has inspired also me. I used picture of it as my computer desktop quite long time. For some reason my own car will look almost the same.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:57 PM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
I am on my SIXTH! splitter, I couldn't keep them on for the life of me. One actually came off during a high speed run at about 185
Although my mainly stock car will never see 185mph LOL, I am sure that I will see bad roads in and around Boston. Some potholes are so large that they can eat the entire front end. I like the look but don't want to have to replace the splitter every 6-12 months. Thanks for the honest reply. Unfortunately, I am thinking that number 7 is only one bad driveway away
Old 09-03-2007, 06:12 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Olli, thanks for the nice comments. Really.

Boston, if I lived there I wouldn't do it unless you lived on the outskirst and don't bring it into town much. The whole downtown was getting new roads and the ones they had were for ****. Oh, and thanks for the jinx. I'm hoping number seven never comes to be. It's all about the angles.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:57 AM
ittia
Burning Brakes

Lot's of sweet looking rides folks. Quick side question related to splitters. Do you think that a splitter without the bat wing is sufficient for high speed runs? I ask because AIR doesn't ship to APO and there is a guy here in Germany who makes just the splitter lip (?) and I am getting ready to buy as I can't find another source.

It's not like the other folks here in Europe who make them with bat wing are going to sell them.......POKE, POKE, NUDGE, NUDGE...
Old 09-04-2007, 06:19 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ittia
Lot's of sweet looking rides folks. Quick side question related to splitters. Do you think that a splitter without the bat wing is sufficient for high speed runs? I ask because AIR doesn't ship to APO and there is a guy here in Germany who makes just the splitter lip (?) and I am getting ready to buy as I can't find another source.

It's not like the other folks here in Europe who make them with bat wing are going to sell them.......POKE, POKE, NUDGE, NUDGE...
well if i get my hands on a mold I'll bring you some, are you far from the nürburgring?
Old 09-04-2007, 08:42 AM
ittia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by anders44
well if i get my hands on a mold I'll bring you some, are you far from the nürburgring?
I am 2 hours from there. Are you going to be going there soon?

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:52 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ive had my AIR on for about a year- but ive painted it twice now. Only thing i ever hit with it is the curb at the end of my driveway, but ive learned how to keep from scraping that after cracking it my first time out.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:15 AM
ittia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xsboost90
Only thing i ever hit with it is the curb at the end of my driveway, but ive learned how to keep from scraping that after cracking it my first time out.
Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2007, 09:57 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

I am 2 hours from there. Are you going to be going there soon?

Thanks.
I'm there quite often, perhaps 1-2 times a month on average, but usually we have the cars there and fly down, or have cars shipped on truck. do you also go driving there?

hmm are you at that american airbase.. ohh what's the area called, you have a mini/bmw dealership not very far away called schäfer? drive through Mosel etc on the way.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:29 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I had the GT splitter for 3 years with very scrapes and no cracks. And this is on a 1" lowered car in typical city driving condition and an inclined driveway.

The AIR looks better while the GT works better.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:49 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, there is a noticeable difference without the batwing/pan. Make sure you run something down there.

As for splitters, I'm with Joe, I cant even count how many I've been through. I was really careful with my first one, but my car sits so low it doesnt matter anymore. The new one I lined with aluminum along the bottom and we reinforced with ballistics grade carbon kevlar a friend had sitting around.

Quick Reply: Post pics of your 951 with fr splitter please