Banjo bolt question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banjo bolt question

My mechanic had the banjo bolt off and noticed that the black rubber tube from the banjo bolt to the vacuum line had a small metal cylinder in it which was acting as a restrictor.

Anyone know what this might have been for? Is it stock? I figure its been in there since I bought it and since then I have switched to a 38mm Tial and MBC.

So should I leave the restrictor in or take it out?

Thats the tube im talking about in the middle of the pic.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:06 AM
5speed300
Racer

Looks like that is just a connection piece so that the blue line could get the boost signal. In my car I can't get the lindsey vac. line to fit over the stock banjo either. It looks like your car just has a hose that fits over the banjo and then a reducer or some fitting they could get the lindsey hose over.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:09 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally, that banjo bolt was crimped onto a metal pipe running to the cycling valve. Looks to me like someone was just trying to use the stock banjo bolt hose with a silicon vacuum line, and used a brass connector. Restricting the banjo bolt, however, is a way to add mid-range boost -- the authority chips came with a carb jet in the bolt for this purpose. I trust you are using an aftermarket boost controller? If so, it's probably fine as is, but for your "when I get around to it" list, you can cut the crimp/hose off that banjo bolt and make a much cleaner connection. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of mine.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:18 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was looking through the venturi delete lines I found one of those metal supository things as well. I would assume the car will run fine without it. If nothing else, you can always stick it back in if it screws the car up.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:29 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

woops......sorry guys.....I think I threw everyone off with that pic. I was not talking about the bras conenctor which is connecting the black hose with the blue vacuum hose.

What I meant was inside that black hose was a little metal cyclinder about 1/4" long with a small hole in it to allow a restricted amount of air through. I want to know if that little metal cylinder is normal.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:32 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Yeah, one like this? https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1181945660

I didn't have one in my line coming from the hardpipe, but I did have one in the venturi vacuum lines. I would still say try taking it out and see if the car performs any differently. If it does just put it back.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:39 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billthe3
Yeah, one like this? https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1181945660

I didn't have one in my line coming from the hardpipe, but I did have one in the venturi vacuum lines. I would still say try taking it out and see if the car performs any differently. If it does just put it back.
Yes exactly like that. I know I could take it out and see hwo the car runs without it but I want to understand why it was there and what its purpose was. I figure once I understand why it is there I will kow if I need it now or not.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:41 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

I know there is a plastic version of that in one of the connections on the stock ICV, and someone said that it did affect the flow of the vacuum from that line to the ICV, which I would assume affect the function of the ICV to some extent. Don't know any details though.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:41 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do remember a restrictor being inside the venturi, i THINK there is one as well inside that hose for the IC banjo, but can't recall (that rat's nest has a lot of plastic/metal fittings here and there).

Quick Reply: Banjo bolt question