Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lindsey Sport Turbo leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:48 PM
aromocki
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Acetylene
I just the LR Sport on last week. No problems whatsoever. Runs great, pulls very hard, no oil smoke. Send it back to Dave. I'm sure he will make it right.
Whats the lag like compared to your last turbo? Did you have a K26/6 or a K26/8? Also, do you track your car or is it a daily driver? I dont suppose you dynoed it....

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 08-24-2007, 08:50 PM
aromocki
Advanced

Originally Posted by beab951
Did you make sure it had oil flowing though it before you spun it up the first time?
Not sure if my shop did that or not. I can ask them, I assume this wrecks the turbo if their is no lubrication in it?
Old 08-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Tms951
Pro

I have done alot of business with LR. They stand behind thier product, if something is wrong they will make it right. I you put a different turbo in and thee was no problem it sounds like the turbo, but...

You said the smoke was in the cabin, if the center section of the turbo was leaking oil it should go through the engine and burn leaving the exhaust or straight in to the hot side burnng and continueing out the exhaust.

So either you have a massive exhaust leak after the turbo and the turbo is leaking. Or, the frst thing that came to mind, when the shop installed the turbo they got oil all over the engine bay and when the engine got up to temp it started to burn off.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:47 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

I always thought the with any BB turbo the idea was to provide a constant low pressure source of oil to the unshielded bearings. Oil flow should be sufficient enough to pool in the center section and gravity flow back to the sump. It's just the nature of ball bearings in general to not have a constant pressurized source of lubrication and to rely on splash or pick-up of oil from the cavity. Generally I would think that with the correct restrictor size for 5-bar OP on these cars that it isn't that hard to figure out. I also know that when I install my Garrett DBB I will have the return line open, do a no-start crank, and wait until until I see return flow before I fire the engine off. At the speed these things turn it doesn't take long to heat things up if the bearing isn't pre-lubed before start-up. That's just my opinion and nothing more
Old 08-24-2007, 10:51 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aromocki
Were you told to put on an oil restrictor or did you have to do it due to smoking?
The garrett that I have does not need 70PSI of oil pressure. Do a search on turbo restrictors everybody was installing restrictors then on the garretts.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:36 AM
Acetylene
Pro

aromocki, Its just a weekender. A few DE's and some trips around town. I replaced the 26/6. The lag time is very nice on this turbo. I was going to choose a 60-1, but LR advised me this was a more streetable setup as far as spool up time and the powerband coming on sooner. I was not concerned with 7k fourth gear performance. I just didn't want to loose half a car length waiting for the turbo...all the while the Acura RS laughing as he pulls away. I have seen big power cars loose to much weaker cars because the race was short and the big boys couldn't get in the power band soon enough. I am VERY satisfied with this setup. I am going to the dyno in about two weeks. I'll post the results good or bad.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:34 AM
aromocki
Advanced

Originally Posted by Acetylene
aromocki, Its just a weekender. A few DE's and some trips around town. I replaced the 26/6. The lag time is very nice on this turbo. I was going to choose a 60-1, but LR advised me this was a more streetable setup as far as spool up time and the powerband coming on sooner. I was not concerned with 7k fourth gear performance. I just didn't want to loose half a car length waiting for the turbo...all the while the Acura RS laughing as he pulls away. I have seen big power cars loose to much weaker cars because the race was short and the big boys couldn't get in the power band soon enough. I am VERY satisfied with this setup. I am going to the dyno in about two weeks. I'll post the results good or bad.
Ok thats really good to know, I am going to send the Turbo back to Lindsey if you literally just bolted it in and dint use and restrictor plugs and the unit is working well for you. Thanks a lot for the info!
Old 08-26-2007, 02:08 PM
Acetylene
Pro

Yep, literally just bolted it in with new o-rings. No restrictor plugs, no special oil line, etc. Direct plug-n-play.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil restrictor?

For those considering restricting oil supply to their turbochargers this previous thread is worth reading.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:32 AM
aromocki
Advanced

Default LR turbo

Well just to let you all know that I sent the turbo back to LR and they took it apart and tested it and it worked fine. I likely had some problem on the install as I had a new MAF installed at the same time and Dave says that there is a common mistake where you can cross the lines. Thats likely what happened but either way the turbo is fine. I will try and sell it for a fraction of what I paid for it, doh!

Quick Reply: Lindsey Sport Turbo leaking oil