Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lindsey Sport Turbo leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 11:09 AM
aromocki
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lindsey Sport Turbo leaking oil

I recently bought a Lindsey Sport Turbo after my previous K26/8 turbo disintegrated on me. The shop installed it and fired up the car and it ended up burning significant oil. So much so, that when the car was test driven on the street the driver compartment was so smoky that you couldn't see.

I have bought numerous quality parts from Lindsey so I think that they are a reputable vendor and Dave claimed that there might be mechanical problem with the turbo. Before I send it back I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem with Garret based turbos?

I read on the internet that a common problem with Garret turbos is that they cant handle the oil pressure of a 944 and that restrictor plugs for the oil cooling and catch cans were common practice.

I didn't want to lose the rest of the season so I installed another stock K26/8 and the car performed perfectly. Therefore, the problem was definitely the turbo.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 08-24-2007, 11:35 AM
ittia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aromocki
Thoughts?
No. I'll let others with Garrett experience answer your questions.
Originally Posted by aromocki
I didn't want to lose the rest of the season so I installed another stock K26/8 and the car performed perfectly.
Care to elaborate on the rest of your 951? Nudge, nudge, pics, pics.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:36 AM
phils87951
Instructor

Im can not comment on LR turbos I Know from past experience that LR are good suppliers and stand behind their products, but I can give you my 2 cents worth on Garret turbo's.
When I installed my Huntley racing stage II BB turbo it ran well for about 1 season
the following season it it started to smoke a little and by the end of the season if I let the car Idle for any period of time it would smoke profusely until the excess oil burnt off.
I can also tell you that Huntley got his turbo's from Magestic turbo in Texas. Many listers have had problems with these units. do a search in the archives, you will surly find some info and see if there is a solution and or fix to your problem.

Cheers.
Just have a look at the Avitar. it smoked.
great moskito repellent, keeps others far back on the track
Old 08-24-2007, 12:02 PM
aromocki
Advanced

Thanks a lot for the info
Old 08-24-2007, 12:08 PM
aromocki
Advanced

Default 951 pic

Sure, Here is a pic of my 951. It has a full LEDA coil over system with 500lb springs and adjustable valving from Racers Edge, all solid bushings and camber plates and control arms from Racers Edge. It also has a Lindsey dual Port Waste gate and manual boost controller and runs about 16 lbs of boost. I had the head redone and have a stronger seal so it should theoretically handle more boost as it is grooved as well. Sparco Evo L seats and 5 points, AIM Hotlap system, etc. It has no cat but a stock exhaust.

It was making excellent power before I blew my turbo but thats because my shop modified the turbo without letting me know and I beleive the Air Fuel Ratio was too lean as it was pushing more air and no one knew.....I have bought a boost gauge as well as a wideband A/F ratio gauge so I wont have the same problem.
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2007, 01:04 PM
phils87951
Instructor

OH YEAH WELL here is a picture of mine :
Name:  CMT 2006 BMW FEST EAST 027-3.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  96.7 KB

Full(canister double adj.) Leda coil over, 900 & 1000# springs
Vitesse Stg 3 turbo, maf, 4" cup exhaust
Full Racers edge bushings, Charlie Arms,
Full cage, Gutted interior, lexan rear hatch
tires, 13x25x16 R 10.5x23.5x16F slicks+ fender flares (not installed at the time of the picture)
sparco seats, removable steering wheel
Stock size 87 brakes, Hawk blue pads. the less you brake the faster you go.......
weighed in at 2840 with me in it, 4 # differential front,10#rear
Race pac Data Aquisition.

Its Stock I swear!!!!!
Old 08-24-2007, 01:16 PM
aromocki
Advanced

Nice, what year is it? How do you like the splitter and the front air intake slot in your upper fascia? I was thinking of getting a splitter as well as that opened up fascia to cool the engine? Does rain get in your air filter?
Old 08-24-2007, 02:19 PM
phils87951
Instructor

it's an 87,

Splitter helps cut lift at high speeds, facia opening is for the intercooler, it makes a difference.
my air filter is where the drivers headlight usually is, if it does get a few drops of water when it rains, no biggie.
cheers
Old 08-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's the fault of the turbo, I'm sure LR will take it back, send it to the guy who rebuilds their turbos and send it back to you. We bought a used/rebuilt one from them 4 years ago for the track car that was rebuilt by the same guy...retired, hhmm,,cough, cough, used to work for some guy named Penske.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you make sure it had oil flowing though it before you spun it up the first time?
Old 08-24-2007, 03:06 PM
Acetylene
Pro

I just the LR Sport on last week. No problems whatsoever. Runs great, pulls very hard, no oil smoke. Send it back to Dave. I'm sure he will make it right.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any new Garrett turbo works perfectly fine. There are a lot of misconceptions and people seem to think that certain turbos are horrible and will leak oil all the time which isn't true. You have to be careful because with some models of turbos (especially ball bearing stuff), you need to use restrictors as they can be very particular about how much oil pressure they receive. Also, turbo rebuilds can be like russian roulette. I've personally known a few people that have had rebuilds done at Majestic, and their stuff has worked perfectly fine. I've also known and talked to a number of people that had lots of problems with "over oiling" causing leaks and smoke.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:42 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

I run a garrett no smoking have oil restrictor. It's been on car4 years still going strong.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:46 PM
aromocki
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ski
If it's the fault of the turbo, I'm sure LR will take it back, send it to the guy who rebuilds their turbos and send it back to you. We bought a used/rebuilt one from them 4 years ago for the track car that was rebuilt by the same guy...retired, hhmm,,cough, cough, used to work for some guy named Penske.
LR has been quite good to me and as others have mentioned they have the same product installed with no problems so I will simply send it back and they can look at it.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:46 PM
aromocki
Advanced

Originally Posted by pk951
I run a garrett no smoking have oil restrictor. It's been on car4 years still going strong.
Were you told to put on an oil restrictor or did you have to do it due to smoking?

Quick Reply: Lindsey Sport Turbo leaking oil