Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Throttle body reseal with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 03:21 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow thats what I should have done, thanks for the info I may just have to get a spare. I bought a used one for $10 so a new one for $18 looks a lot better.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:44 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

UPDATE

Ok so a new TPS and a used spring from another car and the TB still won't close all the way. I guess I'll have to go to a dealer and get a new spring and find a temp one from NAPA. I think the problem is the seals that were used in the TB reseal kit are too big and cause too much resistance on the TB shaft.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:52 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Have you tried flipping the disc over to see if it seals any better? Is any part of the disc touching the body when fully closed?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:14 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

The lower half/right side seems to close all the way while the upper half/left has a faint light through it. There is a picture in post 3. When the spring doesn't close it all the way I can see where its suppose to be from the ring the plate made before I took it apart. I tried flipping the plate around and this was the best of the positions. When I installed the shaft I did put motor oil on it. It really seems if the springs had just a little bit more pull it would do it (switch the TPS upon closing). Its sooo damn close. What would be the affect of this if the car was running?
Old 09-12-2007, 01:20 PM
GreyDog
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keith, I replaced w/a new spring, and the throttle closes OK when the engine is off. However, when running at idle (about 950rpm) , there is just enough vacuum to pull it open to unclick the switch.

Haven't figured out how to solve that one yet.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

So yours closes fine it just opens at idle?

Well NAPA couldn't find a spring to fit and Sonnen Porsche said it would take a week to find one. Porsche Oakland said they can get one to me in a few days but its $60! I have a call into one other dealer. I really want to make the upcoming skaggs coastal run.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:49 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithr726
So yours closes fine it just opens at idle?

Well NAPA couldn't find a spring to fit and Sonnen Porsche said it would take a week to find one. Porsche Oakland said they can get one to me in a few days but its $60! I have a call into one other dealer. I really want to make the upcoming skaggs coastal run.
Keith - Do you really feel that slight gap is going to effect idle that much? The idle bypass loop allows much more air than that gap. Unless it idles poorly or is effecting your TPS I wouldn't worry about it. I have 3 TB at the house, none are rebuilt yet; I can see minimal light around all of them.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Keithr726, two things:

1. It is important that the throttle plate is centered, which it almost appears to be in post #3. The centering process (with all the hardware attached, TPS, springs, etc.) consists of loosening the two screws holding the plate, manually move the shaft axially back and forth and see if it “parks itself” in a certain axial position, if not then move it to the center of the play. Manipulate the plate so the left and right air-gap is equal, then tighten the throttle plate screws slightly, so the shaft just grabs onto the plate. Then adjust the top and bottom air-gap to be equal (when closed) by opening the plate and tapping lightly on its edge until the closed air-gap is as desired.
Double-check that the axial gap still is as desired and then tighten the screws. If you want to secure the screws with Loctite, then one screw can be removed at a time without affecting the alignment.

2. The stiffness of a helical spring is inversely proportional with then number of windings, meaning that if you remove a winding it becomes stiffer (more force for a given deflection). So you can very likely use the original spring by cutting one (maybe two) windings off and manually bend half a winding to the same shape as the original end.

Laust
Old 09-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Steve, the small gap is enough to not click the TPS when returning to idle.

Thanks for the suggestion laust I try that right now.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:20 PM
GreyDog
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kieth, the switch does click to closed/idle with engine off, and comes very close or is now intermittent idle contact w/the new spring when running.

I'm going to try Lausts method for alignment, may be the final touch, as I can manually push the throttle cam to close the contact when on a running idle. So, may be plate alignment issue (or also needs a cleaning...)

Thanks for the help !
Old 09-13-2007, 01:52 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

I took a few coils off the spring and messed with the plate a little bit, its working much better but I still need to give it a little bit more attention.

Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: Throttle body reseal with a few questions