Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rototest chassis dynamics - Anybody have any basic knowledge about this system

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 08:16 AM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rototest chassis dynamics - Anybody have any basic knowledge about this system

I have a new client that I am doing some marketing/advertising work for called TDI (Toque Developments International) who are the UK's approved demonstration center for Rototest dyno systems.

TDI website
Rototest website

Just a quick question if anybody can help me gain a better understanding of how this system works and why it is better than a traditional rolling road would be much apreciated so I don't look like an idiot when I meet the client next week.

Many thanks, Mark

Old 08-16-2007, 08:58 AM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

I have worked with Torque developments over the years and found them an extremely knowledgable outfit. They first helped me on my first big V12 about 5 years ago. I think they have moved on since then after looking at their website
Old 08-16-2007, 09:09 AM
future
Banned

Tommo951 - Yes they moved from there old premises to a purpose build and much larger unit about 2 and half years ago in Motherwell still under the ownership of Mark (He loves his Lambo's).

From what I know they took on alot of staff after the closure of Nemesis Performance Ltd which was purchased last year by Fuel Parts UK in Bromsgrove (another client of mine) www.nemesisuk.com

I to have only ever heard great things about TDI's knowledge and services and there still reasonably priced to
Old 08-16-2007, 10:19 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

They look a pretty smart outfit, but Mark if you're going to be doing a presentation to them tomorrow, make sure you spell their company correctly. lol

"I have a new client that I am doing some marketing/advertising work for called TDI (Toque Developments International) who are the UK's approved demonstration center for Rototest dyno systems."
Old 08-16-2007, 10:24 AM
future
Banned

Sorry mate I’m NOT dyslectic - honest !!!
Old 08-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about that particular brand but Dynapack also make hub dynos and their site has a lot of info on how they work and what they say the benefits are:
http://www.dynapack.com/dynapack.html

Hope this helps and good luck with your presentation (and spelling!)
Old 08-16-2007, 12:34 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

we have one here, it's very good.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:06 AM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

The main thing that I can think of is that there isn't any tire slip, and no chance that a strap can break and launch a vehicle into the wall.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:51 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

TDI I bought a cam shaft for one of my beeemas years ago and after that i wouldn't trust em to put ballast weight on my billycart..
I think Dyno dynamics have been dealing those dyna packs for a while now and the look alot smarter .
I've done some work on various chassis dynos in my time. there were 3 types when i was into it there was "eddy current " like big alternators "water brake" big pumps and fixed mass . i believe the main idea of the hub dynos was ow flexible and portable they are .

My local Toyota plant had one that reused the engine power in the electrical grid of the production plant .
Old 08-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I don't get is why on that 911 the dynos themselves don't turn?.... I mean if you had a powerful enough car (torque-wise) like 600lb-ft that would be applying 300lb-ft of torque per unit trying to spin them in their spot. Are they just really heavy or something?
Old 08-17-2007, 08:24 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

well torque at the wheels is multiplied by final drive ratio so it is big numbers .
but white wheels seem to be say 2 ft from the torque axis and the front ones have 3000lbs of 911 on them so it would take 6000F/lbs to get em turning .
you might be able to just do it in first gear but no one would . power runs are uselly done in a gear closest to 1:1.
And it would be the kind of beast that would lift the front wheels on the strip or the dyno .
also you could easily configure them using a mercury switch or accelerometer to back the loading off if the sense a 5 Degree tilt . or even a secondary outrigger would change the whole equation

Quick Reply: Rototest chassis dynamics - Anybody have any basic knowledge about this system