Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Magnacore Wires -

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 02:25 AM
Acetylene
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No vice grips were used in the filming of these wires
It happened so fast and with so little effort from me that I was a little shocked when it happened. I have replaced hundreds of ignition wires in my 21 years of racing and have only seen something like this happen a few times - coming off yes, but going on?

John, pics below. It looks like it was pulled off at an angle by the wire, but, of couse, was not. I was installing it and pushing straight down with my hand.

Jakery, the number to Magnacore is 248-471-9595 or you cam email them at; mag@magnecor.com.

RM512, you are absolutely right! The instructions state, much to my surprise, "Important: DO NOT stuff silicone grease into boots, as the terminal inside will not lock onto the spark plug top properly, if at all."
Attached Images    
Old 08-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Kell
Instructor

My set tore exactly like the pictures above. Also, I believe it was the same wire that tore, but after a month or so of having the wires my car began sto misfire badly under any boost, but ran fine normally. Tried alot of things to figure out the problem. Ended up putting my stock wires back on and she ran like a top. So far, not impressed by magnacore...
Old 08-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Seeing those pics, that would lead me to believe that you guys are removing them by pulling on the thinner section or base of the plug boot itself. I personally only grab the larger section that fits down into the spark plug hole by slipping something in the corner of the plug hole to get an end of it sticking out. You might try doing that as all the force of removing the plug wire, and focused in a small area like that might be why some of them are ripping.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:11 AM
jakery
resident n00b
Rennlist Member

I broke mine installing the damn thing for the first time. It wouldn't sit flush so i was pushing on the base.
I called Steve at Magnecore & he told me to mail the wire to him & he would fix it & get it right back to me.

Good customer service, but i don't know if i'm in love with these wires, I was having a minor mis-fire issue under initial acceleration, and now that i put my old Jacobs cables in, its gone.
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2007, 01:12 AM
Acetylene
Pro

Porschefile, this happened during installation not removal.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:22 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Tore 3 of 4 Magnecore boots in different places this weekend while putting new NGK plugs in. It was ridiculous how little effort it took to rip them. I tore the first one pulling at the stem, tore the next two while using an angled flat edged "tool" to pry up the base of the boot to try and prevent the first tear from repeating. The inside of those two tore, leaving it stuck on the top of the plug. The 4th one I just got lucky and it didn't tear.

Very disappointed with the boot quality of these wires. Would not recommend them.

Last edited by IMB951; 08-02-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

One of my wires' boot is torn exactly like Acetylene's also.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I used to swear by Magancores…and then I started swearing at them!
The boots are absolute junk, not made for the 944. If you are careful they will not rip – but they will lose the tightness of the connection to the spark plug after a number of connects/disconnects. I will say that Magnacore is quite good about replacing the ripped boots, I have had quite a few replaced over the years (for customers cars).

I did have one set that failed internally that drove me crazy. Occasionally miss that only happened when over 15 psi.

Now I make my own….
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jakery
I broke mine installing the damn thing for the first time. It wouldn't sit flush so i was pushing on the base.
I called Steve at Magnecore & he told me to mail the wire to him & he would fix it & get it right back to me.

Good customer service, but i don't know if i'm in love with these wires, I was having a minor mis-fire issue under initial acceleration, and now that i put my old Jacobs cables in, its gone.
I had the exact problem as you guys That cable broke when i installed it!! I replaced the broken one. Had huge miss fires on boost and part throttle + a grounding issue changed my magnacores back to the stock cables and all my driving related issues were gone. Have to mentioned that i changed my 2 month old bosh spark plugs for right gapped NGKs at the same time.. I will never buy magnacores again !!! They made my car miserable

Quick Reply: Magnacore Wires -