Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Intake manifold design - New 997 GT2

"Expansion Intake Manifold"

Link

Expansion intake manifold.
More power than a 911 Turbo – from the same flat-six engine. No, it wasn’t easy, which is why it required yet another worldwide innovation.

The air intake manifold on the new 911 GT2 employs a totally new principle unlike anything ever featured on existing induction systems. Our ‘expansion’ intake manifold is a radical new development that is the polar opposite of the resonance principle used on conventional turbocharged engines.

A resonance manifold increases engine output by forcing additional air into the combustion chambers. To do this, the manifold is designed in such a way that the air – which vibrates due to the action of the valves – is in a compression phase as it passes through the inlet ports. Unfortunately, compression not only increases air volume, it also increases air temperature. The result is poorer ignition.

Our new expansion manifold simply turns that principle around. The internal geometry is radically different from that on a resonance intake system. Key modifications include a longer distributor pipe, with a smaller diameter and shorter intake pipes.

As a result, the air is in the expansion phase as it enters the combustion chambers. Since expansion always cools, the air/fuel temperature is lower and ignition is significantly improved – thereby increasing performance. Of course, the amount of air that enters the engine under expansion is less than it would be under compression. To compensate for this, we’ve simply increased the boost pressure from the turbos by approximately 2.9pis. The resulting increase in temperature – again through compression – is immediately offset by the uprated intercoolers.

Instead of hot compressed air entering the combustion chambers, we now have cooler air generating more power and torque. The result: a major improvement in engine efficiency and therefore lower fuel consumption even under heavy loads and high rpm.

A simple solution, but then that’s often the way when take a new approach to old ideas.

Would like to hear some thoughts on this manifold design theory.

Rogue

Last edited by Rogue_Ant; 07-17-2007 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:27 AM
flosho
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They just upped the boost and fitted a bigger intercooler. I wouldn't say their intake design is as revolutionary as they are making it out to be. Bigger plenum and shorter runners?
Old 07-17-2007, 03:37 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flosho
They just upped the boost and fitted a bigger intercooler. I wouldn't say their intake design is as revolutionary as they are making it out to be. Bigger plenum and shorter runners?
Its tuned in a different way though...
Old 07-17-2007, 05:24 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Somewhat intriguing, but yes: I would not be surprised if the main boost in performance is from the boost increase and the more efficient intercooler.

Does anybody know the hp/torque #'s and curves for the 996 GT2 vs. the 997 GT2? If there ends up being a significant boost in power/driveability, then perhaps i'll perk my ears up a little more in regards to this "revolutionary intake design."
Old 07-17-2007, 05:39 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

The HP/Torque curves will probably be much broader... due to the use of variable-vane turbos.

Rogue
Old 07-17-2007, 07:04 AM
sawood12
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what the link says as I cannot access the site at work but is it referring to VarioRam? On the 993 and the 996 they used a VarioRam system that changed the volume of the intake manifold through the rev range. From what I can tell this had little effect on headline power and torque figures however it was supposed to change the shape of the torque curve making the car far more drivable and more responsive. I don't see why they wouldn't carry this technology over to the 997 models, although i'm not sure if they used it on the GT3/2 and turbo models though.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:26 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Updated to include quote from the link..

Rogue
Old 07-17-2007, 08:03 AM
sawood12
Racer

Nope, doesn't sound like VarioRam. VarioRam has a moving valve inside the airbox/intake manifold to increase or decrease the volume of the system to suit the demands.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:26 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

VarioRam is nice but no comparison to a VATN turbo in terms of expanding the tq curve.

The 997 GT2 has like 400ft/lbs tq from 1,800rpm almost to redline
Old 07-17-2007, 11:51 AM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by toddk911
The 997 GT2 has like 400ft/lbs tq from 1,800rpm almost to redline
Now that is intense. I would love to feel torque that low. Its got to be nice
Old 07-17-2007, 12:12 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

A good friend of mine that is a DIE HARD Ferrari guy went for a drive in one at the dealer and said that is the most intense and impressive drive in a car he had ever had.

Well, we can feel it also if we get a VATN turbo. The 997 uses Borg Warner turbos.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:15 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=414225
Old 07-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There is something to it. The higher pressure from resonance compression happens after the intercooler, so cranking up the boost to compensate for the lack of resonance charging seems like a good solution, if you can live with the side-effects of slightly more delay in getting to max boost and if the slightly increased back pressure does not rob too much power. Increased back pressure is really increased exhaust gas recirculation (EGR), which reduces NOx emissions and lowers knock sensitivity, so it is not all bad.

This is not unlike my old idea of having smaller (more flow restrictive) valves or less lift, which creates a cooling pressure drop as the charge enters the cylinders and just increase the boost to compensate for the more restrictive flow. This will increase the temperature between the turbocharger and valves, which again means that the intercooler will extract more calories, i.e. more molecules into the combustion chamber.

Laust
Old 07-17-2007, 09:01 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the post Rogue. Very cool.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

NP, I thought it was cool. Any of our resident engine gurus think this manifold has any merit?

Rogue

Quick Reply: Intake manifold design - New 997 GT2