Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I need help now, no oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007 | 02:40 AM
speedy951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help now, no oil pressure

I checked the crank bolt for proper tension and that was fine. Pulled the relief valve and it was the old three piece. PO must have swapped the engine with and 86 when the original blew up.

Well the there is some scoring on the pistion on the relief valve. I turned on the car and no oil came out of the relief valve hole. How long till i should see oil come out. Besides the oil pickup what else is there.

Last edited by speedy951; 06-11-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-11-2007 | 10:21 PM
speedy951
Rennlist Member

Suggestion??
Old 06-11-2007 | 11:13 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Try taking the oil filter off, put the relief valve back in and then pull the fuel pump fuse, and crank until you get oil coming out of the filter.

What happened to cause you to have no oil pressure? Have you checked the sender?
Old 06-11-2007 | 11:17 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

It would help to explain the year and conditions of the engine before you tried to start it

1. First start up since you've owned it?
2. Did it run before w/ good oil pressure?
3. Year of present motor, especially the block?
4. Any recent work on the front end of the motor?

That would be a good start in tracking down the problem.
Old 06-11-2007 | 11:25 PM
speedy951
Rennlist Member

I had the oil filter off before i pulled out the relief valve. I turned on the car and no oil came out and i had the car on for about 5-10 seconds and no oil came out. When the car turned off some oil pucked out but not much.

I really didn't do anthing to cause this to happen. I acclerated quickly shifted to second and then let off and then no oil pressure.

I did check the wires off the sender and they were tight. I was under the impression that failing of the sender was uncommon and usally resulted in of a high reading and the oil light flashing at idle.

Anyone have pictures of the hole where the relief goes? It looked that there was something still in there. Like a half circle. Ya i know that is a bad description but i have no other idea of how to explian it.
Old 06-11-2007 | 11:31 PM
speedy951
Rennlist Member

1. It is an 87 but the previous owner had the crank walk at about 90k and had a new engine put in. I just came to relieze that the new engine is an 86. (it had a one piece crossover and now a three piece relief valve.)

2. ran great before oil pressure problem

3. block is an 86 with proably 90K on it.

4. Belts last year and about 5k on it since. I already checked the crank bolt and it is tight (150ft/lbs)
Old 06-11-2007 | 11:42 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

These aren't the best pics but it might help. This is the early 951 housing that takes both the 3-piece and retrofit 1-piece valve. If you have scoring that tells me the housing isn't aligned well. The black thing you see might be debris. I had some crud at the bottom of mine that was causing a no pressure at start problem. Mine was scored and I ended up going with a retro-fit OPRV to solve it. There's no bottom O-ring on the 3-piece. To have it suddenly lose pressure is odd though. Were the lifters really noisy when you run it?

Old 06-11-2007 | 11:57 PM
JoeN951
Instructor

Speedy, you might want to make sure the pulley behind the crank bolt is flush. Mine wasn't put on properly at some point and it wobbled enough times that it became worn at the bolt and then loose and then no oil pressure. Had a complete rebuild done, that maybe could have been avoided if this was found to be the culprit b/f the engine was opened up and pulled out.
Old 06-12-2007 | 02:09 AM
speedy951
Rennlist Member

The lifters are noisy now when I run it. I can tell they are getting louder.

It is hard to tell by the darkness on the first picture, but inside the relief valve hole is there ring/taller step around the bottom half of the hole and then a step down on the top side? It looks like there is two different heights to the base of the relief hole.

Joe, I will have the check the crank pulley closer. I just threw a torque wrench on it and made sure it was properly torqued.

I am thinking that I will buy the retro-fit OPRV, prime the engine and see if I get oil pressure. I might as well try that before I pull the oil pan to see if the pickup tube is broke.

Quick Reply: I need help now, no oil pressure