Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That track looks familiar...
Old 11-19-2007, 10:00 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i absolutely love that monster garage inlet manifold and the large planum volume would completely cancel out any flow in balance issues .
and I think don't criticize unless your willing to share your own engine bay with similar level of fabrication
Old 11-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
That track looks familiar...

Posted with permissions
Old 11-19-2007, 11:37 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
i absolutely love that monster garage inlet manifold and the large planum volume would completely cancel out any flow in balance issues .
and I think don't criticize unless your willing to share your own engine bay with similar level of fabrication
You're right, you're right.
Props for people trying to keep this car a force to be reckoned with.

Although, I do show as much of my fabrication as I can. I will be sharing my Intake manifold with lots of Pictures soon. (Not very soon if my welder doesn't get fixed quickly) I'm hoping you guys don't think the level of fabrication is anywhere near "similar"
Old 11-20-2007, 01:35 AM
Under Pressure Performance
Instructor

Evil...

We fabricate/manufacture the wing uprights and internal mounting plates. The whole setup is pretty trick. The mounting plates allow the uprights to be adjusted fore and aft about an inch an a half. Of course the wing height and overhang are PCA legal.

The kit price is $649.00 and comes with with all hardware for installation. The installation is VERY straightforward. The internal mounting plates are setup for the GT Racing wing spacing, but can be adapted to just about anything.

Following is a few more pics for your enjoyment...

333pg333...

We have had very good luck running stock boxes. We do, however, rebuild them with a fresh differential and other internals, and have found that abuse is the shortest path to failure. That said, we regularly run in excess of 650HP/550TQ in our track cars, and rarely (virtually never) have failures.

We are very vigilant in keeping the internals in good shape, and the temps under control. That, along with smooth/accurate shifting seems to be the key to our gearbox/transaxle success.

The chassis we are developing was already pretty well developed, but we are currently re-powering the vehicle to remain competitive with the new GT rules, and will also tweak a few other things while we are at it.

We are currently working to improve upon three of the already dominating 944T's in club racing - 2008 should prove an interesting year.

The GT rule change will force us to pull all the stops. If all goes well, we hope to defend the track record for GT3 at Lime Rock for the third straight year. Roy Chong, Buddy, and Chris Musante are forces to be reckoned with, but we have been keeping the pressure on them to continually develop for the past few years, so as the years churn away, the times get faster, the cars get better, the drivers step it up a notch, and the racing as a whole gets WAY more interesting for the spectators, drivers, and crew.

With the new GT rules change Chris Musante (911) gets a pretty serious advantage, considering he was VERY competitive even under the old rules. That said, we are hard at work to build a competitive engine/chassis combination to stay up front.

Again, it should be an interesting year.

Thanks for your inquiries, thanks for reading.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:55 AM
944J
Banned

how are you fitting those 968 rear bumper covers on the widebody fenders?

what size rear wheels/spacers do you use?

is there a place where I can read how the cars are setup?

Originally Posted by Under Pressure Performance
Evil...

We fabricate/manufacture the wing uprights and internal mounting plates. The whole setup is pretty trick. The mounting plates allow the uprights to be adjusted fore and aft about an inch an a half. Of course the wing height and overhang are PCA legal.

The kit price is $649.00 and comes with with all hardware for installation. The installation is VERY straightforward. The internal mounting plates are setup for the GT Racing wing spacing, but can be adapted to just about anything.

Following is a few more pics for your enjoyment...

333pg333...

We have had very good luck running stock boxes. We do, however, rebuild them with a fresh differential and other internals, and have found that abuse is the shortest path to failure. That said, we regularly run in excess of 650HP/550TQ in our track cars, and rarely (virtually never) have failures.

We are very vigilant in keeping the internals in good shape, and the temps under control. That, along with smooth/accurate shifting seems to be the key to our gearbox/transaxle success.

The chassis we are developing was already pretty well developed, but we are currently re-powering the vehicle to remain competitive with the new GT rules, and will also tweak a few other things while we are at it.

We are currently working to improve upon three of the already dominating 944T's in club racing - 2008 should prove an interesting year.

The GT rule change will force us to pull all the stops. If all goes well, we hope to defend the track record for GT3 at Lime Rock for the third straight year. Roy Chong, Buddy, and Chris Musante are forces to be reckoned with, but we have been keeping the pressure on them to continually develop for the past few years, so as the years churn away, the times get faster, the cars get better, the drivers step it up a notch, and the racing as a whole gets WAY more interesting for the spectators, drivers, and crew.

With the new GT rules change Chris Musante (911) gets a pretty serious advantage, considering he was VERY competitive even under the old rules. That said, we are hard at work to build a competitive engine/chassis combination to stay up front.

Again, it should be an interesting year.

Thanks for your inquiries, thanks for reading.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:50 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

hey scott are the rear guards on the red car standard ones pushed or rolled out ??
Old 11-20-2007, 08:25 AM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Scott Just wondering if most of your guys were able to stay in GT3 with the new rule change? I am now bumped to GT2 unless I want to add a bunch of weight. What were the HP to weight ratio's of those cars if it's not a big secret?
Craig
Old 11-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Instructor

944J...

There is a significant amount of work required to run the 968 bumper cover on the 944 chassis. Any competent body shop could do the work, but it is a relatively involved project for the do-it-yourselfer. If you are not afraid to get your hands dirty, and love doing body work, then this project may not intimidate you. I have a few 968 rear bumper covers for sale for anyone considering this conversion.

The wheels are 12" rears, 11" fronts with 315's on all four corners. No spacers are required as the wheels are custom offset for the widebody. The wheels are 17" BBS Motorsports (magnesium centers) - I have two used sets of these exact wheels for sale - Both sets are in great shape. $2800.00 per set, or $5,000.00 for both sets. They are early offset (1986) and bolt right on, no spacers needed.

gt37vgt...

The rear quarters are steel, body hammered and rolled.

Landjet...

As of this writing, it is our intention to keep all but one car in GT3. We will take the weight penalty and continue to run in that class. We are also building a car to dominate GT2, but that chassis will likely not be club racing for another year or so. I will build the car and develop both the car and driver (me) for perhaps a couple of years, or so.

You going to run a 2.5/2.6 in GT2? - If so, will be competitive in its current form? If not, let's talk. GT2 should become a very fast group in the next few years.

The concept of the rule change was to get all the 944T's out of GT3 because the perception is that the well developed cars dominate the class, and they do - BUT, well prepared 911 based cars are/were VERY formidable foes in GT3 under the old rules. The new rule change was designed to get the 4 cylinder turbos out of the class, which is exactly why we want to stay.

We are re-developing a few engines and chassis to exploit some of the hidden potential - We will see how that pans out.

The HP/weight ratio is relatively low, and while I can't get into specific numbers (out of respect for the owners of the cars) I will offer, however, that the new rules really do even out the playing field with the 911 based cars. We know some of our competitors numbers and vehicle weights, and we know ours - That said, we knew what kind of advantage/disadvantage we had going into most events. based on those numbers, any existing advantage is erased, and further development is now required.

In short, the new rules work the way they were meant to. The fast cars either move up or take more weight, the slower cars can get lighter to go faster. It should be interesting.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:13 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

hi, are you running early/late width arms? and why different rim width with same dim tire? what about hubs? stock or m030?

why I'm asking is that I'm also doing widebody and figured 11 up front and 12 rear with 295 front and 315 rear.

love the cars and the work, good stuff!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Under Pressure Performance
I think I have it figured out, use a 16v 2.6 turbo in a 3000 lb car with a heavy driver and then block the crap out of the rest of the field!

I ran a lot of scenarios using the ‘new rules’ and I the only conclusion that I can come up with is either of the following.
1)They are so impressed with the performance of our 4 cylinder water-cooled turbo that they felt that they have to really handicap us to make things fair. The funny thing is that there was only one GT class that really fit our cars (GT3) and it seems that some of the 911 guys didn’t like that.
2)PCA just plain dislikes 944s. We all know that Porsche has tried to erase the corporate memory of the 944 series so maybe that thought pattern has filtered down.
Apparently the much feared 16v 4 cylinder engine is such a potent contender that its specific output is 96% of any (yes, any – including any Porsche race engine) 6 cylinder water cooled turbo.
A well made and set up 16v 2.6l 944 may actually be in GT1….yeah, that’s a good deal.
I would rather they just give us our own class instead of playing the reclassification game.
Hmmmm…how many millions has Porsche spent developing the 911 as a track car and some how we are a threat….
Old 11-20-2007, 09:31 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

I don't think this is mutually exclusive to the US. It seems a world wide phenomenon that they feel that the front engined water cooled cars somehow represent a massive skeleton rattling around in their kraut closets. Shame...
Old 11-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Chris,

You got that right! To be honest, I am not as upset as I thought I would be about the rule change, however, as you know, this does mix things up a bit.

The most curious thing I have found in the new rules is the inclusion of text eluding to future changes if warranted - Does that mean that if we go out and dominate GT3 with even higher developed 944T's, while the 911 folks rest on their laurels, then we will be further punished in another year or two?

To be quite frank, I firmly believe that the spirit of PCA club racing has been raped. It is disgusting to think that folks that decide to build cars for a class decide that if they can;t be competitive, it must be because the rules don;t work - When in reality, they just can't step up to the plate and build something competitive.

This rule change REALLY hurts the 95% of 944T guys that ran in GT3 in modestly modified cars, that will not stand a chance in GT2 - In other words, this rule benefits a very small group, while simultaneously hurting the majority of those in the class. It is a real shame.

What amazes me is the political ulterior motives behind it. Did you know some of the biggest proponents of the rules change are members of the rules advisory board? Curious thing ain't it?

You got a copy of the email I sent to the rules committee, you know my stance.

So, what does it mean now that the rules have changed? Well, in the short term, we will take the weight penalty, stay in GT3 and see what happens. We are building a GT2 car as well, but that car will likely no see the any club racing for a while.

The performance index for the 16V, while a bit out of line, would not be so out of line if it were in line with other turbo applications. The fact that it is not is painfully obvious evidence that the 911 guys cower to the 944T. I say, be men, step up to the plate and take a swing. Use the SAME performance index figures that we must adhere to. Ahhh, to dream...

In my email to PCA, I indicated that I am in the business of building winning cars for my customers, and I intend to keep doing that - If the rule change means we have to re-develop, re-engineer, improve, then so be it - But I wonder, how many of the 911 guys will re-invent their cars year after year to keep pace? Not many, I am sure. So in a few years will these guys whine about the rules yet again?

As if we don't already know the answer.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:43 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Lets see....add about 1000 lbs of balast to a 2.6 16v and I could run GT4.
Run the first lap really hard pick up some places and then just block once the tires and brakes got too hot...

Quick Reply: Trick 951's