Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Coil on Plug Instalation

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 09:53 AM
944Phil
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember a thread where someone had used COP and actually shortened the length of the coils so they wouldn't stick out as much. I can't remember what coils he had used. I'll try and find it again.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:50 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had a guy from the Cayenne forum offer to send me some bad coils to test fit on my S2 head. I've been to the local Pick N Pull junkyards out here almost continuously and can't seem to find TSI/FSI VAG coils, they're always gone by the time I get there. Would love to grab a used/bad one to test fit but can't bring myself to buy a new one only to find out it won't work.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:18 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up a set of these 2.0 VAG coil packs and the rubber seal/support is just barely able to keep them from flopping around in the plug holes for the 16 valve head and does almost nothing to keep debris out.

https://www.europaparts.com/ignition...7k905715f.html

Something much better is needed to seal and support these coils.

If I had a CAD program and a 3D printer, I'd try to work something up to fix the problem.

Oh, yeah, I do have a CAD program and a 3D printer. Let's see what I can make for this.

(Do NOT try to teach yourself your very first CAD program at 1 am while working on your laptop in bed when your wife is trying to sleep right next to you. The very frequent, loud outbursts of unpleasant language will NOT promote domestic tranquility)(I did learn it(FreeCAD) by about 3am but it is NOT intuitive and not helpful)(There is no that I found to be worth anything)

So with a bit of missed sleep, I put this together. It is about half way through the printing process and I found out that I need to find a better way to secure the glass plate onto my print bed. The glass plate kept sliding around and misaligned several layers of the print. They are layers that would reside deeper in the plug hole so I can remove them with little impact on the structure of the part.

I'll take some pics of the finished product tomorrow.
Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2016, 06:01 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Close but not quite right. Back to old drawing(CAD)board.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:38 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

My first thought would be to go to a hardware store and dig through their grommet drawer.
Or maybe see if a piece of rubber hose in some size might just work.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:27 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Dust/dirt in the spark plug housing is not a concern at all. At least unless you run it unwashed for years and years. I have had the VAG COP setup for 3 seasons, no issues whatsoever.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:35 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Raceboy
Dust/dirt in the spark plug housing is not a concern at all. At least unless you run it unwashed for years and years. I have had the VAG COP setup for 3 seasons, no issues whatsoever.
your new rennlist title is "unwashed VAG COP"

Old 11-10-2016, 08:29 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Raceboy
My concern was having something down in there that ended up down in the cylinder when I remove the plugs. I'd rather have something blocking the opening and keeping stuff out of the whole so I don't have to worry about cleaning the hole out any time I change the plugs.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:27 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

I understand. I was just talking about my experience, no **** dropped to cylinder after all these years. If there was some readily available boot of course I would use it but back then I did not bother.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:08 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Here is my first set. I am still adjusting them for the perfect fit.

My newest design should be perfect. Are you using the 2.0 VAG coil packs and does your engine have the exact same plug hole dimensions as the S2? If so I could make you a set or send you the .stl file if you know someone local with a 3D printer and ninjaflex filament.
Attached Images  
Old 11-11-2016, 03:27 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

I am using TFSI coils (the longest ones), should be like yours. And I use S2 cam cover

BTW, are you sure the coils reach plug ends? VAG coils are meant for 16mm hex plugs, S2 uses 21mm, you would either need to use 16mm hex plugs or cut the end of the coil metal so that the locking spring will fit snugly on the coil. Mine sit lower for sure.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:36 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

I trimmed about 1 cm off the end of the coil metal and they fit much lower now.

My 3d printer is giving me trouble. As soon as I get it fixed, I'll have the final version of the coil supports ready to go.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:05 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Updating the Cayenne COP piece: The Cayenne coils physically fit the spark plug and they are sufficiently long to fit the 16V head but they're too narrow at the top to snugly fit into the spark plug well without a rubber spacer like AZbanks fabricated.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:20 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm going to try the VAG coils as well. The depth seems about right, but it would be nicer to have them a bit snugger around the opening.

Quick Reply: Coil on Plug Instalation