Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

paint advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 05:58 PM
hally
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint advice needed

So I'm about to get my alpine white repaired & resprayed and wanted to get some guidance on what specific requests I should make to the panel shop when it comes to paint.
As the front end and also a rear quarter panel has to be painted, am planning on getting everything but the roof done, as the doors have some scratches etc and so it seeems worthwhile to do the lot.

I was planning on following another rennlisters lead (thingo) and requesting that it be clear coated even though its a solid color and that wasn't the way it was origionally done. The initial feedback I got on clear coating from the repair guy was resistant, although I havn't really explained that I was hoping for a more lusturous look that the origional factory look.

PLease drown me with your opinions and reccomendations on how to do this right.
Here's a pic of thingos car. I'm thinking of ditching the bump strips also.
thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2007, 06:56 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

If you want top clear coat go for a proper Base & Clear scheme rather than just laquering over an actual gloss finish. If you do not watch out it will be like treacle.
A good painter will get the base on nice and flat and therefore once the clear is applied it will need very little compounding. I personally like Glasurit paint schemes, but it is pricy!!!
Old 05-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Might as well paint the roof too. Clear over white won't give much more depth or shine but will help with repairability/longevity and if there are any flaws in the new paint job they will be much easier to fix (such as runs/dirt nibs). If you run/sag single stage and try to sand/buff the run it will be discolored there as the pigment settles a bit as it dries. Picture a slightly darker/lighter line in the shape of the run. Single stage white (and black) actually looks a little more lustrous...hard to explain but it has more of a dipped look. The more you disassemble before paint the better it will turn out. I would recommend base/clear. There is a reason that oem's don't single stage any more.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Btw, clear over single stage will give the most depth/shine but over white its not noticeable as it is blinding to look at outside. Looks amazing over black though.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:08 PM
hally
Rennlist Member

so clear over the original alpine white base, is that the consensis, or don't bother with the clear coat? Is that a Glasurit color / brand, or is that another variation. Sorry I know bugger all about paint! cheers.
Plan is to remove doors, mirrors etc
The shop didn't want to do the roof, must be a palavia? I know thingo didn't get his roof done either.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:55 AM
914srcool
Rennlist Member

I run a high end paint shop here in Jacksonville, FL. I do alot of work for Brumos Porsche. Glasurit is a brand of paint. The quality of the job will have alot to do with the quality of paint product the shop is using. Glasurit is nice...but not the only good paint. I use sikkens which IMOP is just as good. A good paint shop is going to refinish the vehicle with all new materials...not just re clearing over old base. I just did a 86 951 black and it turned out beautiful....but the cost was around $6800 and took a month to do. Thats what it takes...if you want it done right. On a white car like yours single layer may be the way to go. You could save yourself alot of money by doing the diassembly yourself...
Old 05-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hally
so clear over the original alpine white base, is that the consensis, or don't bother with the clear coat? Is that a Glasurit color / brand, or is that another variation. Sorry I know bugger all about paint! cheers.
Plan is to remove doors, mirrors etc
The shop didn't want to do the roof, must be a palavia? I know thingo didn't get his roof done either.
The original white is a single stage. I would go with base/clear. I have no idea why they wouldn't want to do the roof, maybe the painter has short arms.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:10 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

roofs the easiest part- just make sure you pull the roof out for them- they tend to break at body shops.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:47 PM
hally
Rennlist Member

thanks everybody, will post some pics when its done
Old 05-10-2007, 10:33 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That's my car!
It was a lot more prep work to do the roof, the quote was much more.
Looking back I would've done the whole car, 'while you are doing most of it'
Looks much better with the clear.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:43 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

Default shes back from the panel shop

new front end and resprayed in the orig alpine white solid, pics below!
Attached Images   

Last edited by hally; 06-30-2007 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:33 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Nice Hally you must be glad to get it back together. i like it with no side strips
Old 06-30-2007, 12:21 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks good hally, new paint is great.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:40 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks fantastic!
Old 06-30-2007, 04:01 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Burma Shave
Btw, clear over single stage will give the most depth/shine but over white its not noticeable as it is blinding to look at outside. Looks amazing over black though.
I've painted a few cars waaaayyyy back in the day. One trick I used back then on a black car was to mix in some clear with the black on the last 2 coats (PPG Deltron single stage). I don't know how you feel about this, but it always came out really well for me, very deep shine.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: paint advice needed