Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Headlight bucket adjustment - raise/lower point adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight bucket adjustment - raise/lower point adjustment?

OK, an archives search reveals that you can adjust the bucket side to side.

My question is a bit different. The bucket sits a bit low on one side. That is, the top of the headlight when retracted is lower that the surrounding sheet metal. I see there's some sort of V shaped stopper in the mechanism but it doesn't look easily bendable.

Is there an adjustment point that I can use to raise/lower the stop point of the headlight?

TIA!

Jeff
Old 05-07-2007, 12:37 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

OOOO OOOO, I wanna know too!
BUMP
Old 05-07-2007, 12:47 AM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

Where the headlight mechanism attaches to the frame rail is the magic point. loosen the bolt and slide the assembly slightly forward and it should do the job for you. I dealt with the same thing about four months ago. It gets really simple once you realize where the adjustment point is.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:02 AM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Thank Lanny - can you help me locate the secret sauce just a bit more?

- Is the adjustment on the inside or outside of the headlight? You mention the frame rail so I assume it's on the inside??
- You mention forward but I need to raise the light . I trust this adjustment will do that?

Thanks again!

Jeff
Old 05-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Portly
Instructor

Jeff

Lanny is talking about the headlight raise/lower mechanism, not the bucket itself. There's a bar that spans the front of the car. This bar is rotated by the headlight motor. The bracket supporting this bar is attached to the frame rail on each side by two bolts. Loosen the two bracket bolts on the bracket which corresponds to your "low" headlight, and move the bracket forward. This will push the headlight assembly "up".

Now, if someone could explain to me how to _aim_ the headlights, that would be great.... (I found this post while searching, so hopefully I'll hit the correct answer soon.)

_Jeff
Old 05-09-2007, 08:02 PM
ENGINEERMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Patience!

I just took my headlight linkage out and had it all chromed as part of a larger project. All I can say is that you need to have a lot of patience. Small adjustments make a significant impact. Hang in there, leave yourself lots of time and you'll eventually get it right (I spent at least 4 hours installing an getting it right.

Good luck!
Old 05-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Ah... found it! Thanks! Now I need go in and work the side to side adjustment.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:24 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found this post while searching (obviously) before posting a new topic on this but here goes....

Is there any way to move the headlight bucket laterally (side to side) along its bar??? I have huge gap on one side (1/2 inch)!

Edit: I know about the triangular plates on each side for fore and aft movement of the assembly. I know there are sometimes shims in between these to help with spacing as well. The problem is that the bar is wedged in between the fender and the radiator (inner) support so tight that I couldnt get a shim in there if I tried!

Quick Reply: Headlight bucket adjustment - raise/lower point adjustment?