Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

16PSI = Better for now

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 12:56 AM
bigred1001
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 16PSI = Better for now

Just finished a small spring project over the last couple of weeks.

1. Removed intake and did venturi delete and MBC install.
2. Install MAx chips and FPR.
3. Found 2 cracked fuel injectors and replaced all four with OEM Bosch units.
4. Replaced turbo water pump and rebled cooling system as well as replace heater control valve and related hoses(Total PITA).

Got everything back together today and it fired up on the second turn. Pull out on the highway with my cousin who helped me at night and remembered "oh **** the front lugs are only hand tightened" Went back home and torqued.

The MBC was interesting,
the whole time I would only get 5PSI starting at wide open and turning a few turns. I started to think I had a bad unit. Then I screwed it all the way counterclockwise then,

BAM!! 20PSI. No knocking though. Then dialed it back to 16 PSI and let the 16 yr old drive

He is now a boost convert

Idle was perfect, held 16 in/hg vacuum at idle w/ no flutter. Throttle was strong as well, I think one of the injectors may have been bad, as at full throttle there would be stumbling at times.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Sunnyvale-951
Instructor

Sounds like a fun time. I'm hoping to get my new spring project kicked off in the coming week or so (see signature for things to be installed). Spring's a fun time to go out and enjoy your car.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:47 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigred1001
He is now a boost convert

Idle was perfect, held 16 in/hg vacuum at idle w/ no flutter. Throttle was strong as well, I think one of the injectors may have been bad, as at full throttle there would be stumbling at times.
Double check vacuum lines as well as anything you removed/loosened.

Check the TPS for adjustment as well.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:11 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

that's exactly what happened to me with the MBC. i thought i was super screwed. i was driving around at only 5 psi for a few days. it felt about as slow as my old N/A

have fun.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

With the MBC, did you also delete the cycling valve?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:04 PM
bigred1001
Pro

Yes the cycling valve is out as well as the venturi. The only thing I dont like is that the venturi delete hose that goes from the T near the brake booster to the middle vacuum port on the intake is extremely tight with the spark plug wire on that cylinder. The idle stabilizer valve gets in the way.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yea, I've done the venturi delete as well, and it did get cramped down there when trying to get the spark plug wire back on the spark plug. Though, it is still a lot better than having all that other junk down there.

I have not done away with the cycling valve yet, but will be installing a MBC this weekend, and plan on doing it then. What did you use to plug the hole on the line from the cycling valve to the j-boot?
Old 04-09-2007, 11:24 PM
bigred1001
Pro

I took a piece of the cut hose to NAPA and they sold me a bolt that was a tight thread into the hose and then put a clamp on it as well. I would take a picture of it but it is buried under the air pipe and intercooler pipe. I did take a couple of pics showing the fitting I used for the Banjo bolt to the MBC, and where i routed the vacuum lines to the MBC mounted under the radio. I used alot of silicone sealant around the grommets but I am still a bit concerned about leakage into the cockpit so I will use extra caution when washing, as the car doesnt see rain.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: 16PSI = Better for now