Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rear Fender tire rub... Help me before this weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:52 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Rear Fender tire rub... Help me before this weekend!

Ok. I have 275/40/17s on the rear of my 87 turbo. I used to have sumitomo tires, and never experienced any rub. The wheels have some negative camber to help tuck the tire under the fender. I just put new Yoko ES100s on the rear and due to the shape of the tire it is rubbing on the fender any time im accelerating hard, cornering hard, or hit a large bump. (passenger and full gas tank dont help)

So... I attempted rolling the fenders, did a decent job, still rubs the same as it used too. I have cup wheels, I thought this was the standard size people were running in the rear. Any ideas? Try to roll the fenders more? I think i did a decent job doing it, but it still rubs alot.

More negative camber? My last tires had alot heavier wear on the insides then the outside already.

Raise the rear end of the car a little bit? Stiffer suspension on rear? Im still on stock torsion bars.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a cup wheel you can safely have 3 to 4mm of material removed from the wheel to move the rim in a bit. Just check clearance between the caliper and wheel first. Take it to a machine shop and they can mill both of them for less then an hours labor. What shape are yoru rear shocks in? If they're shot they'll allow a bit too much squat which can contribute to your issue.

Originally Posted by jmporsche944
Ok. I have 275/40/17s on the rear of my 87 turbo. I used to have sumitomo tires, and never experienced any rub. The wheels have some negative camber to help tuck the tire under the fender. I just put new Yoko ES100s on the rear and due to the shape of the tire it is rubbing on the fender any time im accelerating hard, cornering hard, or hit a large bump. (passenger and full gas tank dont help)

So... I attempted rolling the fenders, did a decent job, still rubs the same as it used too. I have cup wheels, I thought this was the standard size people were running in the rear. Any ideas? Try to roll the fenders more? I think i did a decent job doing it, but it still rubs alot.

More negative camber? My last tires had alot heavier wear on the insides then the outside already.

Raise the rear end of the car a little bit? Stiffer suspension on rear? Im still on stock torsion bars.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:41 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Wow, good to know jeremy, thats a good option. Shocks are koni yellows in good shape, so i doubt thats the problem. I will look into getting the wheels machined if I cant roll the fenders a little bit more to take care of the problem. I guess clearance isnt an issue on the other side of the wheel?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

My S2 cab had the same problem. I rolled the fenders and still got rubbing. Mine was only rubbing on the LR, the RR was ok. I put a floor jack under the RF and jacked the car way up. Doing this squated the LR and put the tire up into the fender on the same plain or angle as if hitting a bump or dip. I found the tire was rubbing the fender in a different area than I had suspected.
This may help you find where you need to roll a little more.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:10 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did exactly what Craig did back when I was rolling the 1/4 panels. Now I've just cut the inner lip away, gains you a lot of room, but you have to be careful doing it
Old 04-04-2007, 09:12 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Two wonderful ideas. I really cant tell where its hitting, i was thinking of rubbing sidewalk chalk on the fender and going for a short ride to see where the chalk is rubbed off from the tire hitting, which may or may not work, same idea. Mike, did you use a dremel? Something else? might be a good idea also. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:17 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Air powered die grinder with a cutting disk. Make "pilot" cuts every 2 inches around the wheel well (on the inside) up to the edge of the 1/4 panel. Go through, cut each 2" section off, then go back with a high powered electric grinder and smooth out the edges. Then paint or undercoat. Depends on your application. Certainly something you need a bunch of time, patience, and a steady hand to do.

On the plus side, you pick up a ton of room in the wheel well (I also cut away at the inner part of the fender and gained room in there).
Old 04-04-2007, 10:19 PM
buxton
Racer

I had the same problem when I put on my turbo twists with 255/40/17's. I cut the inner lip as mentioned above but used a 4" grinder with a metal cutting disk. It worked great. Just in case I got off track I put 4 or 5 layers of duct tape on the outside around the wheel opening.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:41 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any chance you have pics of what you did Mike?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:46 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Had the same problem when I went to 275 RA1's and like Landjet it was rubbing in a different spot than I expected - the leading edge of the fender. Line the opening of the wheel well with tape - I just used duct tape. Take a spirited drive and make sure it rubs - it will fray the tape where it rubbed so you will know exactly where it is hitting. I only needed to roll about a 3" section.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:32 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the place to roll the quarters is on the front edge, not as much on the top. When the wheel swings upwards it must come forward cuz thats where my cups used to rub. Roll the fenders all the way down to the bottom of the quarter in the front of the tire. That or get some of those cool negative offset spacers- see ebay
Old 04-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

What Dan said. To my surprise that is where I found mine rubbing along the front edge not towards the top.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:06 AM
EliteThink
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Landjet
My S2 cab had the same problem. I rolled the fenders and still got rubbing. Mine was only rubbing on the LR, the RR was ok. I put a floor jack under the RF and jacked the car way up. Doing this squated the LR and put the tire up into the fender on the same plain or angle as if hitting a bump or dip. I found the tire was rubbing the fender in a different area than I had suspected.
This may help you find where you need to roll a little more.
thanks for this post. jacked up the right front, marked the rub sections, dropped down, jacked up left rear, couldn't get bat to work for me, trashed bat in the process, took out grinder and cut 1" slits in the lip, carefully took a hammer to the lips. Hopefully that did it.

Quick Reply: Rear Fender tire rub... Help me before this weekend!