Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N

American K&N is better than German Mahle
Old 04-04-2007, 11:41 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Has anyone tried secondary bypass filters in the 944?
Old 04-05-2007, 03:10 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LFA951
Like those wheels! K&N has always been the leader in performance air filters for over 35 years. I've been using their filters since I was in high school, it made sense for them to go the oil route as well. Check out their website, they are in my home state of California...www.knfilters.com
And if you read every single study in the last 35 years, it's proven that K&N is no better than a fresh oem air filter. Their oil filters have also been studied and proven to be no better and in some cases worse than stock filters.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:46 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Purolator PureOne, is the best on the market for off the shelf filters for our cars. This comes from research based on filter type(Synthetic)/construction/flow. In all sections the PureOne is above all other brands and designs. We can argue all day long about the best filter but PureOne is without a doubt the best from every standpoint.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:48 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ninefiveone
And if you read every single study in the last 35 years, it's proven that K&N is no better than a fresh oem air filter. Their oil filters have also been studied and proven to be no better and in some cases worse than stock filters.

Wrong, Synthetic filters have multiple advantages in the oiling system. We can start with better filtration, Increased flow and end with better durability.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:25 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What about CM racing oil filters. Anyone hear anything about them?
Old 04-05-2007, 05:28 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I stopped using K&N oil filters once I figured out they (some) had cardboard in them...
Old 04-05-2007, 08:20 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
These are the billet aluminium housing and filter setup Lindsey sells. They filter down to 8 microns and have no bypass. They are a quality made unit. I have installed mine but am still finishing off other things on the car so I haven't tried it yet.

I understand they are a high flow sythetic. They also do a fuel filter with similar cartridge that flows 90 gallons per minute! I have the 1 micron version... I'm not sure what they flow but I'm sure it will be plenty.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:33 AM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

K&N for $15
or a

K&N for $9 at automotion!
Old 04-05-2007, 01:14 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

American K&N is better than German Mahle
prove it.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:02 PM
attyjeff
Racer

I have researched this many times and I have to agree pureone does seem to be the best, but I cant help myself, I still use k&n HP-4001 every now.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:30 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
Wrong, Synthetic filters have multiple advantages in the oiling system. We can start with better filtration, Increased flow and end with better durability.
Yes, but none of those attributes have been proven for K&N filters. And I don't mean studies paid for by K&N.

Furthermore, K&N oil filters are paper, like all the others.

Last edited by ninefiveone; 04-05-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:46 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
Yes, but none of those attributes have been proven for K&N filters. And I don't mean studies paid for by K&N.

I think there is some confusion here. Fishey was talking about K & N air filters and the thread is about oil filters. The K & N air filters do not filter as small as a clean paper OE filter. It has been shown that the K & N flows more air but they also let more crap into the intake system even when well oiled. Personally I won't use the the oiled type air filters and have removed them off of several cars based upon articles I've read. It probably doesn't matter that much unless you find yourself in really dusty environments like the cinder used on roads in Calif for snow and black ice.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:07 PM
944CS
Drifting

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
Great filter, the only "problem" with them is they have no pressure relief bypass, so once you start to see that your oil pressure is lower than normal, it is usually a sign that the filter is beginning to clog with debris. CM states that they should last 10K street miles....however as with most other things that interval varies with driving conditions
Old 04-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Originally Posted by 944CS
Great filter, the only "problem" with them is they have no pressure relief bypass, so once you start to see that your oil pressure is lower than normal, it is usually a sign that the filter is beginning to clog with debris. CM states that they should last 10K street miles....however as with most other things that interval varies with driving conditions
I think they designed it deliberately this way so that the filter cannot go into bypass and potentially circulate debris through the oil - of course you have to change the filter as required.

They also filter down to 8 microns as oposed to Purolator PureOne premium product which is stated as 10 to 20 microns on their web site.

Quick Reply: Best oil filter for 951's -- yeah, I know it sounds stupid